Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tracey Connelly, Steven Barker and Jason Owen

These three, of course, are the evil cunts whose identities were previously protected by a court order in the Baby Peter Connelly case. The court injunction expired a little over 24 hours ago and they've since been named all over the press. Not that you couldn't have got the names beforehand - anyone with an internet connection would have been able to obtain them since November last year. But I digress.

With this being silly season, there's not much in the news. There's now talk in the press of them being given new identities - there's even a thread on Have Your Say asking "Should the identities of criminals be protected?". But it seems a fair enough question, so I thought I'd ask it here.

My opinion? If the likes of a paedophile like Jason Owen, or a baby-rapist such as Steven Barker were subject to a vigilante attack and ended up being seriously injured or killed, I can't say I'd be too upset. I suspect a fair few people would pop open the champagne were harm to come their way. I think it was right to name them - but the bloggers and mindless idiots who "outed" them on the internet behaved with incredible irresponsibility.

Generally speaking, I can't see any reason why the identities of criminals should be protected indefinitely. When one commits a heinous, serious crime, one should be punished thoroughly for that - and I think having their identities revealed and reputations destroyed should be part of the price one has to pay. Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When that story first came out, i actually cried my eyes out, i cannot believe people can be that sick. They deffinatley deserved to be named and shamed. I think they should live til they are really old, and live a life of abuse and misery, just so they know a little bit of how that poor boy felt in his short little life.
    They were the first thing I saw when I opened up the Internet today and I felt sick looking at them. I'm glad they have been named and shamed but god the hate I felt when I saw them makes me not want to look at them.
    My initial attitude to suggestions of vigilante action is "good, two pieces of scum with one stone," because anyone who would actually do it isn't someone I'd want on the streets anyway. But then I get a wave if sense again.

I suppose you've got to look at it irrespective of the individual case. Should the criminal justice system be about rehabilitation? In most cases yes. Are certain prisoners likely to be vulnerable after prison? Yes. I would guess the most common use of this sort of thing would be for ex-gang members, for example, who would be at risk of revenge attacks. So it should be an option, and that will be a judgement that's made if and when they're ever released.

And let's face it, the most high profile case of this being used were for Jamie Bulger's murderers, and quite rightly so. It was a terrible case, but it's far worse that some people are willing to threaten the lives of two men for something they did when they were 10 years old ffs, and indicitive of the type of media-led idiots we seem to be talking about.
    If you read rags like the Mail or The Sun then these sick bastards could be out in as little as 8 years.

All the other papers/news outlets have instead truthfully reported that although it is a possibility, the chances are they will never be released.

I sincerely hope they all die in prison, there's a special place in hell reserved for them.
    One of the advantages of naming Tracey Connolly is that it's allowed her life history to become public. Being sexually abused as a child, being stuck in care and growing up with physical and mental abuse doesn't excuse her behaviour, but it explains her behaviour, and her history is just as upsetting as what happened to Peter Connolly. Funny how the Daily Fail don't bother reporting that she was involved, as a victim, in the massive Islington children's home sex scandal of the early 90s.

Equally, it appears that Steven Barker has an IQ of around 50 and also grew up with sexual and physical abuse as a child. Again, it doesn't excuse, but it can explain behaviour.

I don't think we should put everyone in moral incontinence pants and excuse behaviour, but it isn't as easy as going "evil blahblahblah evil scum blahblah".

Although to the couple who leave flowers on Peter's grave every day, even though they don't know him or the family, I say one thing: grow up you sad fucks.
    Sky News website yesterday carried a pathetic piece on them, claiming the woman is to get a sytle guru and new identity when she gets out, but without mentioning when she might be let out and telling the story in a way that led you to believe a release was imminent.

It also thought relevant to bring Maxine Carr (from the Soham case) into the story, complaining that Tracey Connelly would be given the same level of protection as "Soham liar Maxine Carr". The only thing missing was an offer of a free pitchfork and torch for every reader.

I can expect that kind of bullshit from the likes of the S*n, but a suppossedly quality news broadcaster?

Regardless of the crimes in question, fuck vigilantism to be honest.
    They just deserve a life of hell like that poor little boy. It breaks my heart to even think about it.
    Although to the couple who leave flowers on Peter's grave every day, even though they don't know him or the family, I say one thing: grow up you sad fucks.

In the context of the comments you've just made berating other people for goonish rhetoric, I think that statement is more than a little strong and quite unnecessary.
    While i agree that criminals should have no anonimity and entirely deserve the (occasionally litteral) ripping to shreads by the public, in a case such as peter's, the naming and shaming done is likely to not only affect the people directly responsible but also victimise their families and the people who know them. These people most likely had friends and family who they talked to all the time but whom knew nothing of the terrible crimes they were hiding, yet them being known acquintences could seriously endanger their lives.
    In the context of the comments you've just made berating other people for goonish rhetoric, I think that statement is more than a little strong and quite unnecessary.

Not really. I think it's pathetic and I think going on and on about it to the papers is even more pathetic. Someone told Metro what they did- I expect that it was the two people laying the flowers. What a cynical thing to do, telling the papers how wonderful you are.

If you don't agree that's different, but I think the description perfectly described how pathetic they really are. Just as those morons who set up Facebrook 'memorial' groups are pathetic too.

I don't think these three people should come out of prison for a very long time, but there's normally more to life than people being monsters for the fun of it. I personally doubt how much Connolly could do to stop what was happening, given her alcoholism, but I do think she knew what was happening.
    They just deserve a life of hell like that poor little boy. It breaks my heart to even think about it.

Did you read anything I wrote?

Do you think that being sexually, physically and emotionally abused as a child- one of Connolly's close cousins was the main victim and then recruiter for a violent paedophile ring in London, and the evidence is Connolly was involved too- and then becoming an alcoholic in adult life is a bed of roses?

People often end up like this because they've already had a life of hell. It doesn't excuse what they do, but it can help us understand why.
    icey wrote: »
    While i agree that criminals should have no anonimity and entirely deserve the (occasionally litteral) ripping to shreads by the public, in a case such as peter's, the naming and shaming done is likely to not only affect the people directly responsible but also victimise their families and the people who know them. These people most likely had friends and family who they talked to all the time but whom knew nothing of the terrible crimes they were hiding, yet them being known acquintences could seriously endanger their lives.

:yes: This was my first thought when the names were revealed on Facebook earlier this year.
    I'm not sure what purpose is served by publishing these people's names in national newspapers. I can understand, in the case of paedophiles and the like, people who were close to them being informed, but for the whole country to know their names? Is it so that we're able to unite in righteous outrage and collectively condemn people by name? Is it a way of handing out an extra-judicial, peoples-punishment? It just seems to bring out the rough-justice mentality in people.
    Kermit wrote: »
    One of the advantages of naming Tracey Connolly is that it's allowed her life history to become public. Being sexually abused as a child, being stuck in care and growing up with physical and mental abuse doesn't excuse her behaviour, but it explains her behaviour, and her history is just as upsetting as what happened to Peter Connolly. Funny how the Daily Fail don't bother reporting that she was involved, as a victim, in the massive Islington children's home sex scandal of the early 90s.

Equally, it appears that Steven Barker has an IQ of around 50 and also grew up with sexual and physical abuse as a child. Again, it doesn't excuse, but it can explain behaviour.

Just goes to show what a real tragedy the cycle of abuse really is :(
    Kermit wrote: »
    Did you read anything I wrote?

Yes, i did, and i was simply saying what i think.