Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Medicine Intake

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My father has to many medicine intake. How long does it take for him to take another medicine? A friend told me that he should have an hour gap before taking another medicine.

Comments

• Options
    Depends on the medication. Some need to be taken together, some with a gap inbetween. Before, after or during a meal. At night, in the morning. With fatty food, without fatty food. As an when needed, only at prescribed times. The list is quite long.

Go see your doctor. I doubt your friend is a doctor.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Depends on the medication. Some need to be taken together, some with a gap inbetween. Before, after or during a meal. At night, in the morning. With fatty food, without fatty food. As an when needed, only at prescribed times. The list is quite long.

Go see your doctor. I doubt your friend is a doctor.

Thanks for the info. Gonna check on that. Just kind of wondering cause he takes 2 medicines after the end of a meal. So, I just don't wanna have any mix up on the medicine he takes.
  • Options
    Heyya,
    Well- some people can take more than others. My dad takes medicane for his illness once a week, but if he is in pain he'll take a few painkillers- where as some people only need to take one. The back of the packs tell you the recomended dose.... if he takes more I'd say get him to go to the doctors, they might be able to give im something stronger? With your average painkiller (like neroufen ect) you are only ment to take 3-4 aday, and only 2 every 3 to 4 hours... oh and never take them unless you have eaten, yea!
    Crying-angel x
  • Options
    My father has to many medicine intake. How long does it take for him to take another medicine? A friend told me that he should have an hour gap before taking another medicine.

Hi,

As other people have mentioned it's really important to understand that medication can be different for everyone - so although it may be very distressing to see the amount of medication your father has to take, the most important thing is to be speaking to his GP.

Taking advice from a friend about a medical issue isn't always the best thing to do - especially when it's something this important. In this thread you might get a better understanding of the way other people take medication, but that doesn't necessarily apply to your father.

If you can speak to his GP, with your father's permission if that's necessary or possible (I'm not sure what condition he's taking the medication for), then you can double check the drug schedule.

It may also be worth seeing if the surgery or hospital is able to provide you with a medication tray -

200.jpg

There are lots of different makes and hopefully your GP or NHS direct can help you with that. Essentially it will allow you to break down the required medication by different times in the day, making it easier to keep a track of what has or hasn't been used.

It's also worth contacting NHS Direct about the situation - you can phone them 0845 4647 - who will be able to discuss your father's medication with a little more clarity.

So I hope you find the thread useful, as a way of seeing other's experiences, but please remember that there isn't a hard and fast rule around medication - especially when taking a large number of different pills to deal with a complex problem.