Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shop bans foreign students from entering premises

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But clubs are slightly less of a concern, because everyone there is an adult. I don't think it's acceptable for kids of particular groups to have to walk past shops with "no blacks" or "no foreigners" on the window, or to watch their parents denied entry because of this.
    These are my sentiments too, and have talked about them on previous discussions on this forum about 'tolerance' and 'freedom of speech'.

Many people appear to believe it would be better if businessmen were allowed to do such things, in the name of 'tolerance' (?) and freedom of expression. In my personal opinion any country that allowed people to ban others based on their race or nationality would actually be an intolerable shithole of indescribable proportions, and one not worth living in. What about tolerance towards people who don't happen to be white or British?

Since not everybody can win (the right to be a bigoted fuckwit vs. the right not to be discriminated against for being the 'wrong' race or nationality) and somebody has to lose out, fuck the bigots' right to being intolerant, I say. Anyone who chooses the other option is deeply wrong and very naive IMO.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    So you'd be perfectly comfortable with somone putting up a 'No Niggers Allowed' sign on their shop's door?
    If a business wanted to do that, it'd be a matter for them. But they shouldn't be surprised if they end up being roundly condemned for it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If a business wanted to do that, it'd be a matter for them. But they shouldn't be surprised if they end up being roundly condemned for it.

Or rather, have the shop razed to the ground.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

Terrible.
    And even more terrible is the fact that time and time again I am surprised when I realise that people are still capable of justifying the unjustifiable.

On another note, last year I had an unfortunate incident showing how discrimination based on nationality is dormant at many of the bigger supermarkets. Luckily most of their staff do not know the idiotic rules put in place, but I was denied buying alcohol from somerfield since my drivers license isn't from the UK and could therefore be faked - my friend who was with me carrying her diplomatic passport wasn't allowed to buy alcohol for us either.
    According to the EU (and common decency and sense) such practice is not allowed. However, since shops have the right to refuse anyone service, Somerfield (and Sainsburys, and some other stores) have taken that to mean that they can discriminate based on nationality.

According to stargalaxy, that's alright since it's a 'private' shop. I assume it's also alright when 'private' people yell racial abuse at one another. And if the park bench is donated by a private person, with a sign stating "in memory of Elizabeth - no blacks, dogs and irish allowed", then that's cool too....?
  • Options
    They come to work over here for the better money. Often doing jobs that many people in the UK see as below them. Though with the recession in full swing, many people are finally realising they will have to do any job to keep the money coming in, in some cases.

Probly nothing wrong with the houses in poland, they just need somewhere to live over here.
  • Options
    But a lot of Polish people are doing jobs that many British people see as below them as MrG said.
  • Options
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    I agree with that, but i also believe that priority for the people who have lived in this country longer/all there life, over immigrants. It would be like, loads of british people moving into spain, taking their jobs and good houses. They'd be upset too.
    No, it's not like that. This is not some kind of national emergency where a foreign person is given a home and a Briton has to sleep under a bridge as a result.

This is about landlords being bigotted twats and discriminating against someone because of their nationality. There is no difference between them an a shopkeeper not wanting to sell goods to foreigners.
  • Options
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    I agree with that, but i also believe that priority for the people who have lived in this country longer/all there life, over immigrants.

Why?

And how far do you go back? Many immigrants have lived in the UK longer than I have, and I'd cheerfully smack anyone who tried to turn me down for a house.

I always love the "immigrants are taking our jobs" bollocks. If you want the job so much, go and apply for it. But you don't want to be a bus driver, or a hotel cleaner, so you don't apply for it.