Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Shop bans foreign students from entering premises

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8182558.stm

Irrespectively of the man's complete stupidity (by his own admission it is a small number of people causing trouble) do you think shop owners should have the right to ban people based on their nationality?

I personally hope he gets taken to the cleaners. Hell, if I was a student I'd make a trip to the place and sue him myself.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's as unforgivable as this : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8181486.stm
    I don't understand why the furniture shop owner can't simply kick out the people who come in and start eating......?

Unless he's a fucking moron.
    Or at least put a notice simply banning food, drink and loitering around in the premises- irrespective of one's nationality.

Either the bloke is a bit thick, or a xenophobe.
    Teagan wrote: »

I cant see the problem with this myself, with a lack of good housing why shouldnt they be able to deal with only british people if they want to?
    grr...comin' over ere, eatin' our fish'n'chips :impissed:
    Territt wrote: »
    I cant see the problem with this myself, with a lack of good housing why shouldnt they be able to deal with only british people if they want to?

So where are the Poles meant to live, if they're looking for houses?
    thats not really our problem, if a landlord wants to only rent to british people then thats up to them
    Would you say the same if the landlord wanted to rent the property to white people only?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Would you say the same if the landlord wanted to rent the property to white people only?

Thats not really the same is it?
    Can't he just put up a sign saying "no food"
    It's not really a surprise though, is it? There are a lot of small-minded people in these small provincial towns. I hope someone sues him and takes him to the cleaners.

As for estate agents, do we ever expect them to be honest and decent? The best thing that can happen to estate agents is that someone sets them on fire.
    Thats not really the same is it?
    Yes it is. Discriminating against people because of their nationality is every bit as wrong, and I suspect illegal, as discriminating against them because of their race.
    It's a shame I'm not a student anymore, otherwise I'd go to his shop every day and flaunt his ban.
    I think he should be allowed to discriminate, because it will only harm his business and there are other alternatives available. Say I was doing a cleaning service where I drive to your house and pick up your washing, if I decided not to go to anyones house who looked foreign the only person it really hurts is me because there is still plenty of alternatives.

I think it's a much bigger issue if it's something there isn't so much choice with for example the police or the NHS.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think he should be allowed to discriminate, because it will only harm his business and there are other alternatives available. Say I was doing a cleaning service where I drive to your house and pick up your washing, if I decided not to go to anyones house who looked foreign the only person it really hurts is me because there is still plenty of alternatives.

I think it's a much bigger issue if it's something there isn't so much choice with for example the police or the NHS.
    It's still a big deal though because, if all other alternatives decided to do the same, "You can't because there has to be one who doesn't" isn't an excuse. They'd say "Why me and not them" and so on.
    It's still a big deal though because, if all other alternatives decided to do the same, "You can't because there has to be one who doesn't" isn't an excuse. They'd say "Why me and not them" and so on.

well yea i agree with you 100%, i think it's wrong that he's discriminating at all. I was being ... (i dont know the word for it, a bit like devils advocate / ironic or something) because if we let him go and do it the only one who suffers is him so it serves him right.
    thats not really our problem, if a landlord wants to only rent to british people then thats up to them

Loving your attitude mate :) its great (sarcasm btw)
    How would you react if you were Polish and all these landlords said to you "No your not renting because your Polish? Bet you wouldnt be a happy bunny"

Have some sympathy, yes they come here and "steal" our jobs, they work harder for less? i dont see the problem.
    On a tangent, it's interesting to see that the people of Riga are fed up of boozy Brits pissing over their war memorials and generally making an arse of themselves.

It's probably the same people who talk about dirty foreigners behaving badly in this country.
    Any cunt who pisses on a war memorial should be arrested, given a kicking by the police and then deported (and I wouldn't complain if they dropped him out over the North Sea and made him swim the rest of the way).
    I think shops should be allowed to ban individual people, and they can. But only for serious things, like theft ect. But it shouldn't matter on the nationality of the person, just them as an individual
    crying-angel x
    Any cunt who pisses on a war memorial should be arrested, given a kicking by the police and then deported (and I wouldn't complain if they dropped him out over the North Sea and made him swim the rest of the way).
    Erm... fair enough but what does it have to do with the furniture shop story? :D Something I missed?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Erm... fair enough but what does it have to do with the furniture shop story? :D Something I missed?

Response to Kermit's post and pissed up Brits abroad, ;)
    ooo I've got one - force them to drink 4 more pints and them strap them into a chair above a railway line with their wang strategically positioned so that it can only dribble down onto the electrified rail.

This will either improve bladder control OR, the gene pool - High five!

piss.jpg

two-thumbs-up.jpeg
    I can't help but notice Pravda's barely hidden bias seeping into that article there. On the side, you'll see something titled "Related Internet Links". Which website do they refer to? Why, it's only the prize cunts and cocktrumpets at the Equality and Human Rights Commission. They don't even try to hide their bias anymore...

I think the shop owner should be allowed to ban whoever he wants from the store for whatever reason he wants. It's a privately-owned business that doesn't take any taxpayers money, it's generally up to them how they run their own businesses.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I can't help but notice Pravda's barely hidden bias seeping into that article there. On the side, you'll see something titled "Related Internet Links". Which website do they refer to? Why, it's only the prize cunts and cocktrumpets at the Equality and Human Rights Commission. They don't even try to hide their bias anymore...

I think the shop owner should be allowed to ban whoever he wants from the store for whatever reason he wants. It's a privately-owned business that doesn't take any taxpayers money, it's generally up to them how they run their own businesses.
    So you'd be perfectly comfortable with somone putting up a 'No Niggers Allowed' sign on their shop's door?
    stargalaxy wrote: »

I think you should be able to do whatever you want in your private life. But I also think that if you want to open something up to the public, you should either open it to all of the public, or none of it. Only behaviour should be a reason for denying access to anyone, and then not everyone who happens to look like that person too.
    I think you should be able to do whatever you want in your private life. But I also think that if you want to open something up to the public, you should either open it to all of the public, or none of it. Only behaviour should be a reason for denying access to anyone, and then not everyone who happens to look like that person too.

Many nightclubs though discriminate on:
    - appearance
    - wealth (perceived)
    So is it is a tricky area in the sense that different organisations have different standards.
    - appearance
    - wealth (perceived)
    So is it is a tricky area in the sense that different organisations have different standards.

But the question is, do you agree with them doing that?
    There's a difference between a dress code and active discrimination based on gender, race, religion or sexuality.

The real problem is that sensible people don't openly discriminate based on those grounds, they come up with a spurious ground and use that instead. It's not because you're gay that you can't come in here, it's because you're wearing trainers. It's not because you're a woman of child-bearing age that we're not giving you the job, it's because the other person was more suited to the job description.

Utter bollocks and utterly reprehensible, but not much you can really do about it.

I always work on the basis that I don't want to go in anywhere that's likely to refuse me entry.
    - appearance
    - wealth (perceived)

Gender's the only one that clubs (are allowed to) explicitly operate a discriminatory policy. And I don't think they should be allowed to either, but there you go. Most of the club discrimination is implicit, using legitimate rules like dress code (which you choose) and age restrictions to deny access to people they don't like the look of. The "no trainers" rule is a good one, seemingly the acceptable face of a "no chavs" rule, because I've never been denied access with trainers on.

But clubs are slightly less of a concern, because everyone there is an adult. I don't think it's acceptable for kids of particular groups to have to walk past shops with "no blacks" or "no foreigners" on the window, or to watch their parents denied entry because of this. But maybe we've moved on enough that we could allow this and be sure that such incidents will undoubtedly result in lost business for people who do it? I don't know.