Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Van speed limits in Europe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm driving a rental van to Germany next week, going through France, and Belgium on the way.

Now I know in the UK vans have different limits to cars, and I'm picking up the impression that they may well do in Europe as well. Problem is I can't find what they are anyway.

Do feel free to prove you are more competent at using google than I am because I'm being blonde and failing miserably. It's a long wheel base invenco or something along those lines, plated under 3.5 tonnes.

Anyone got any suggestions what the limites might be?

Comments

• Options
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/index.html

Vans have the same speed limits as cars in the UK.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    Vans have the same speed limits as cars in the UK.

No they don't.

The vast amjority of vans are limited to 50 on single carriageways and 60 on dual carriageways.

Only very light vans derived from a car chasis with a max laden weight of under 2t can obey the speed limits as a car would for example Fiesta and Astra vans. Even small vans such as the Transit Connect, Kangoo, Berlingo etc have to obey the 50, 60 speed limit

Scary, just treat in a similar fashion. Go 10kmh slower than you should be going in a car. If you get caught speeding they can't give you points. You may get a fine and then you can choose wether or not it's worth paying it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Cheers for trying guys, I know the van we've got is definitely subject to lower limits in the UK as it's most definitely not car derived.
  • Options
    http://fragsoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1470

:) from my uni club, hope this helps! They were driving a ford transit.