Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Decent hair dye?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got very dark hair and 21 started getting white hairs, only from my hairline back the crown-sorry I don't know what it's called!
It's always kind of bothered me, probably because I see myself as a bit young to have white/grey hair and now I'm 24 it seems to be getting worse. I've just dyeing it a couple of times but the nasty little buggers peek through after just a few days, even if I use a brand which claims 100% grey coverage.

Is there anything I can do? Or a good brand of hair colour which will work?

Comments

• Options
    I find Schwarzkopf live to be quite good, perhaps you could ask a hairdresser what they recommend?
  • Options
    I dye my hair and always use Schwarzkopf. Even though i only have brown hair it covers it really well.
  • Options
    Schwarzkopf, but not the live stuff, that has NEVER stayed in my hair. It always washed out. Has been kept on long enough, treated properly and it was permanent.
  • Options
    I thought the Live stuff was good. It did a good job at covering my blonde roots.
  • Options
    Yeah I liked the Live stuff, but I only tried the blue-black.

I've given up on home hair dye. Can't be bothered!
  • Options
    Yeah i use live XXL its really good and covers quite well.
  • Options
    i use henna, cos im vveeeggaaannn..... I used to use XXL before. But i dont have greys sooo dunno x
    C-A x
  • Options
    The brightness fades after a while, I admit, but I've got relatively dark hair and without using a pre-lightener or bleach, I got it to quite a vibrant but natural looking colour. I guess because it fades, it helps it to blend with my roots when they grow through.
  • Options
    I always use the Cyber Purple colour of Live XL. I love it cos it dyes my hair proper purple and then fades out to a nice reddy purple colour. Havent managed to get that with any other dyes, it usually comes out as orange!
  • Options
    I use chocolate brown, its really good, cos it looks kinda blackish, but after a few weeks, it goes lighter, but still looks dark, so its just the right colour. I love it :)
  • Options
    I used Cyber Purple once and it was rubbish - the purplely on by L'Oreal Feria (I think) is much better - more vibrant and actually lasts.
  • Options
    Schwarzkopf live is the best in my opinion
    i've never looked back :)
  • Options
    For natural colours, i like the 'nice n' easy' one...not sure who that is?
    I love the bright red feria colour, that's great!
  • Options
    Like you, I'm 24 and get a few greys, mainly near the front (so it's not too bad as I can see them to pull the bastards out!) I use nice n easy, which seems to do quite well on them too.
  • Options
    make friends with a hairdresser
  • Options
    In my experience, all hairdyes are pretty much the same in terms of quality - I've never found much difference between any of them. If you're using a permanent dye, then the problem won't be that it's fading. Rather, new greys are growing through, and there's not much any hairdye can do about that.

You may need to touch up the roots every 3-4 weeks if it's bad.