Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it worth paying for organic foods?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
News today saying studies show organic produce has little if any additional nutritional quality. Even better taste is disputed by research. Yet supermarkets selling consumers organic foods for the dinner table is a big industry. People may say there are environmental benefits through not using artificial pesticides.

Do you pay extra for organic produce? what do you like about them?

Comments

• Options
    If you want public opinion then you either need to ask the mods for permission to post, or you need to pay for the opinions you're wanting.

I'm sick and tired of you always asking questions and never giving an opinion. It's a discussion forum, not a place to get cheap opinions for whatever research you're doing. If you want opinions for your employers, stump up the readies.

If I'd known you'd started the thread I'd never have come in here.
  • Options
    I don't find organic stuff to be much more expensive. Milk and eggs cost nearly double but fruits and veg's are the same price. As for other types of products, I buy whatever is on sale/have a coupon for whether it be organic or not. Go to the local farmers market and get whatever organic stuff you want and its much cheaper than the grocery store anyhow!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you want public opinion then you either need to ask the mods for permission to post, or you need to pay for the opinions you're wanting.

I'm sick and tired of you always asking questions and never giving an opinion. It's a discussion forum, not a place to get cheap opinions for whatever research you're doing. If you want opinions for your employers, stump up the readies.

Is there some hidden agenda to kiwi's posts then ?
  • Options
    As for organic food, cant be arsed editing.

Never thought it actually gave 'health benefits'. A carrot's a fucking carrot. It might have more or less bugs, more or less pesticide, more or less knobly. But at heart, it's still a fucking carrot !

We all know oragnic food was created to make people in Chelsea feel good and spend less on cocaine !
  • Options
    I laughed at the news last night that some women being interviewed though expensive organic food saved you money in the long run as you get twice as many nutrients. Its not as if you go out and buy half a carrot or potatoe, so its not as if you can save any money.

She looked a bit shocked when presented with the recent report findings :P

I just wonder why people think there would be more nutrients in organic food, less crap perhaps, but the same if not less nutrients surely?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Some of us think so.

If you look through Kiwi's other posts then you'll find a high proportion of opinion panel type questions that sound a lot like they're surveying for opinion rather than getting involved in discussion.
  • Options
    Some of us think so.

AH right. Thanks
  • Options
    25% of his posts are new threads
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

If I'd known you'd started the thread I'd never have come in here.
    Go to bed please
  • Options
    A case of another grumpy poster with nothing constructive to say
    MrG wrote: »

So I have a reputation then- who started it
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »

What is your opinion on the matter then? :)

Personally, as long as the food fills me up and tastes good I don't mind what's in it.
  • Options
    I don't find organic stuff to be much more expensive. Milk and eggs cost nearly double but fruits and veg's are the same price. As for other types of products, I buy whatever is on sale/have a coupon for whether it be organic or not. Go to the local farmers market and get whatever organic stuff you want and its much cheaper than the grocery store anyhow!
    Milk and eggs are the few organic products I buy regularly- tried other things on and off. In big cities like London farmers markets are too far away
    As for organic food, cant be arsed editing.

Never thought it actually gave 'health benefits'. A carrot's a fucking carrot. It might have more or less bugs, more or less pesticide, more or less knobly. But at heart, it's still a fucking carrot !

We all know oragnic food was created to make people in Chelsea feel good and spend less on cocaine !

I like the down to Earth attitude to food shopping and cooking. Organic food wasn't just created to make Chelsea folks feel good- but more important to increase supermarket profits
  • Options

Go fuck yourself you stupid cunt. I was asking a question not making a statement. Wanker.

ETA - Nothing constructive to say. Did you not read my 2nd post ? O.K. you might not be a cunt but you're definitely fucking stupid.

What kind of muppet are you ? You come onto a discussion board asking for opinions then either don't read them or slag off the people that do leave them. Are you in a secure institution ?
  • Options
    Organic food wasn't just created to make Chelsea folks feel good

See. To some people humour is like Concorde - way over their heads.
  • Options
    Ahh you make me giggle RubberSkin. One minute your cool as cucumber (not an organic one) and the next the complete opposite! :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    (not an organic one)

Roffles :) I usually am, but if some dipstick is going to slag me off, EVEN WHEN I GIVE THEM MY OPINION WHICH THEY ASK FOR, it fucks me off.
  • Options
    Go fuck yourself you stupid cunt. I was asking a question not making a statement. Wanker.

ETA - Nothing constructive to say. Did you not read my 2nd post ? O.K. you might not be a cunt but you're definitely fucking stupid.

What kind of muppet are you ? You come onto a discussion board asking for opinions then either don't read them or slag off the people that do leave them. Are you in a secure institution ?
    Mind your language- I was answering your question to Kermit. My statement wasn't aimed at you but his ramble above
  • Options
    My statement wasn't aimed at you but his ramble above

So why did you quote me ?

You make a quote then a statement - ergo you're making a statement about that poster DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Options
    Mind your language

Roffles. Do you work for Road Wars ? Section 5 of the Public Order Act isn't it ?
  • Options
    So why did you quote me ?

You make a quote then a statement - ergo you're making a statement about that poster DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Maybe I should have addressed it to Kermit clearly, as I was supplementing what you had to say
  • Options
    Roffles. Do you work for Road Wars ? Section 5 of the Public Order Act isn't it ?
    hahahaha
  • Options

No need to give a warning anymore ... ARREST HIM !! :p
  • Options
    I laughed at the news last night that some women being interviewed though expensive organic food saved you money in the long run as you get twice as many nutrients. Its not as if you go out and buy half a carrot or potatoe, so its not as if you can save any money.

She looked a bit shocked when presented with the recent report findings :P

I just wonder why people think there would be more nutrients in organic food, less crap perhaps, but the same if not less nutrients surely?
    Organic food may contribute towards better health in the long run for those that believe it. Saves the NHS money that's assuming they're spot on in diet and good health

Interesting how on this forum I've caught a reputation......not alway that bad if all my forum activity was considered
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    No need to give a warning anymore ... ARREST HIM !! :p
    Back of the police van....... do they cook organic food for police cell inmates?
  • Options
    Back of the police van....... do they cook organic food for police cell inmates?

Toast for Breakfast and I don't think that's organic!
  • Options
    Organic food may contribute towards better health in the long run for those that believe it.

Don't know about food but thinking something is better for you than something else works with medicines.

On one of Proff. Regans' shows they did a simple experiment about branded medication.

People were given the choice of their preferred medicationin a brand. Panadol - paracetamol, Anadin - aspirin and Nurofen - ibuprofen then timed as to see how long they could keep their hand in a tank of iced water until it became too painful.

They then did the same experiment but with generic versions of the drugs and the people kept their hands in the water for up to 25% less of the time than with the branded drugs.

It was then revealed that the generic drugs were infact the branded variety, proving (quite simplisticly but backing up other research) that the belief that something is better for you than something similar can work.
  • Options

Interesting how on this forum I've caught a reputation......not alway that bad if all my forum activity was considered

Well all you do is post questions repeatedly as if you are doing research for something.
  • Options
    Well all you do is post questions repeatedly as if you are doing research for something.
    That's your perception
  • Options
    Don't know about food but thinking something is better for you than something else works with medicines.

On one of Proff. Regans' shows they did a simple experiment about branded medication.

People were given the choice of their preferred medicationin a brand. Panadol - paracetamol, Anadin - aspirin and Nurofen - ibuprofen then timed as to see how long they could keep their hand in a tank of iced water until it became too painful.

They then did the same experiment but with generic versions of the drugs and the people kept their hands in the water for up to 25% less of the time than with the branded drugs.

It was then revealed that the generic drugs were infact the branded variety, proving (quite simplisticly but backing up other research) that the belief that something is better for you than something similar can work.
    Yes, faith matters very much to consumers.
  • Options
    Yes, faith matters very much to consumers.

Some.

For me, the 32p ibuprofen from Sainsburys' works just as well as the £2.79p Nurofen.