Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Visiting a Doctor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Over the past 2 years or so I've noticed I've been having mood changes and bad (suicidal, self harm) thoughts. Nothing particular set it off , my life's pretty good actually, good friends, good parents (even if we had the usual arguments) I've got a weekend job and do well in my exams.
Its hard to explain but I get weeks were I feel so down, don't brush my teeth,don't get dress, spend loads of time sleep or in bed, Drink whenever I can, cry at random times, or feel sad but I can't cry, basically back away from life and feel ill (headaches). I also cut, pull out hair, have burningly hot showers, purposely touch things that are hot, stop eating etc.
Then I have weeks were I feel really good I'm more social, singing,dancing, spending money! (lol), sleeping sleep and just having fun.
I've been feeling good since just before my A level exams, which was good because before I was on a downer and didn't revise, which meant when I was feeling good it left me with two weeks to revise!. But That was in the middle of June, since then I've been feeling good, staying up late (2am-7am) are the times when I usually start feeling tired and getting up early and being proactive!.
I don't eat enough because I don't want to get fat, or don't have an appetite.
But now I'm starting to feel down again, I cried for the first time tonight like like 6 weeks for no real reason.
Sometimes I think there's something wrong, others I don't. Strangely my parents don't seem to notice.
I was just wondering, now I'm starting to feel down again if I went to a doctor and told him/her this what would I expect to happen?.

Sorry for the long post, I only found this site by accident 20mins ago and thought posting was worth a shot. Oh btw I'm 18years old.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, from experience. She asked me if there was anything that brought on these feelings, and talked about what we could do to stop or help me cope with them. I was given a small questionaire to fill in that I had to take back the following week. Basically they are really understanding and give you time to say what you need to say.
  • Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Yeh they really are quite understanding in mine too - most GPs have absolutely loads of experience with this kind of thing.

I don't know whether you think this might be the type of problem you have but there's article on mood swings here, and also a really good video about seeing your doctor for self harm.

Good luck with all this, it sounds like you're very good at catching what may be slightly self-destructive behaviour and understanding yourself so I'm sure you'll be fine. And keep posting if you want more help!
    I don't feel comfortable to talk when I see doctors but there are a lot of
    people who feel and it's a great help for they.. So I think you should try.. :)
    If you don't feel comfortable, then write a letter, make an appointment and give then doctor the letter?
    Melian wrote: »
    If you don't feel comfortable, then write a letter, make an appointment and give then doctor the letter?
    It's a good idea.. I never thought in that..! Thanks.. :) If you don't feel comfortable too Sweetescape, you should try.. ^^
    Hey,

Thanks for all the replies, I haven't managed to go to a doctors yet because I've been feeling pretty good!. hehehe! Still not sleeping but I can deal with 4 hours a night, some days I get more. But its all good.
    I don't think I'll be able to pluck up the courage, I can't even go tot he post office and mail my friend a present because I'm so scared/nervous. And about WHAT!? nothing, that's what, I'm just a fool.
    But yeah, sorry rambling! been going out more and partying! ahaha! my liver now officially hates me :P I drink when depressed and happy. And my bank to I've spent nearly 200 quid in 4 weeks! GAH, I only get 30 quid a week. But you know its all good.
    I get my exam results in 13days, I'm so nervous! I only revised 2 weeks before because I'd been so low to the run up I didn't have the energy to do anything. So I stayed up all through the next to weeks to revise.
    Why am I telling you all of this?
    I dunno I just remembered this site and thought I'd check in. :hyper:

So yeah, I think someone said I seems self aware or something!? I can't remember, that's because after 2 years I've kind noticed a pattern. Fun times. :thumb:
    I'm so lost, it hit me again a few days ago, I slept till 3pm in the afternoon. I was convinced I had throat cancer. Strangely I'm always convinced I have cancer and I've not got long to live last time it was brain cancer. I had an hour long screaming argument with my brother and I can't really remember what it was about. Everyones leaving for uni, I'm going to be left behind. I have nothing to get out of bed for, I need a job but I'm to scared/anxious to go and apply/go for interviews. Everyone else lift has a purpose to it, they all have uni. I'm sorry I don't even think I should be posting here.
  • exposedexposed Posts: 31 Boards Initiate
    the thing to remember is that even though you may think you are the only person feeling this way - your GP has seen everything many times before, nothing you say can really surprise him/her.

When I first told my dr. about my depression/thoughts of suicide - i wrote all my symptoms down - so that i wouldnt forget them or mumble my words in the appointment, so then i just said "right... im usually really bad with forgetting things and i tend to mumble on so i had to write down a list of my symptoms: here goes..."
    Hey Sweetescape,

Posting on Thesite's boards is the perfect place to vent, ask for advice, get support and generally talk about experiences, so please do not apologise for posting here. We would like you to continue posting so that all in the community can support you. It can be difficult to talk about our lives, you have done really well to get this far and to open up about how you are feeling.

It sound's like you are feeling left behind by friends that are going to University and anxious about finding a job. You may find it helpful to have a look at some of the links on here about getting a job. You may also benefit from taking some time to get some support with your mood changes, harming thoughts and sleep pattern? As has been suggested, perhaps seeing a medical professional for advice is the best way to get that?

Take care and keep posting :)