Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

No virus checker!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys,
i know i've got a virus on my laptop (i'm on my gaming PC atm) cos my mate sent me an email which had an attachment, stupidly i opened it before i scanned it, and then when i next turned on my laptop it had no anti virus, i've restarted to see if it comes back or not, it doesn't
i've re-downloaded the right software and tried to instal, it doesn't connect to the server it has to to install for some reason, idk y, but its connected to the internet because i get on the internet in an interbrowser,

i have noidea what to do, anyhelp plz??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Download on your other computer, stick it on a USB, install that way? Your AV shouldn't need an internet connection to install, that will only be for the database updates, skip them for the time being to see if your AV will pick it up.

Disconnect the laptop from internet too before scanning, you wont fix it that way.

Try a few AVs: Norton 2009, Kapersky, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor, Malwarebytes. That should be all you need, they all offer trials (Spybot/Malware are free.)
    I have had no anti virus or firewall for six months or more and all is well.
    I got rid of Billy Gates and now run on UBUNTU INTREPID IBEX ...so fast without all that crap running in the background.
    Welcome to the dark side, Rolly. ;)
    Different OS' for different uses.
    Yeah, run it from a flash drive that's disconnected from the internet.
    I'd say do it while it's in safe mode, but it'd be better to scan it then. Go to a last system restore point, if you can. Also depending on the browser - well nevermind it already infected you.

Run malware bytes or hijack & check the log from an executable drive.

ps. delete that email when you get the chance.
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    I recommend UBUNTU personally, much nicer :) It's like Windows, but double glazing and without the mozzi's

and no games :<
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    and no games :<
    Wine works for a lot, and there are several that run natively, they just tend to focus on the multiplayer aspect. I tried Warsow the other day, for example.