Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

hair buns

how do people doooo it?!

for my new job, my hair has got to be in a bun at all times (as if the uniform isn't going to make me look bad enough, haha). it can't be in a pony tail because no hair can touch my collar.

everytime i try to put it up in a bun though, it just falls out! im getting incredibly frustrated now.

my hair is below shoulder length. its not that thick though so its not like its heavy or anything.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try to make it as high as possible, like a high ponytail, as your hair is so short it will be less likely to fall out.

Just take it into a high ponytail (dont put a hairband in), keep twisting and twisting it round until it goes onto itself to make a bun. Tuck the end of your hair underneath and then tie a hair band or two round it.

The way i do it come more out like this...

http://titianknitter.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/chinese-bun.jpg

than this...

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2101568/bun-main_Full.jpg

but it works for me.
    Do you put a lot of conditioner in your hair or is it really soft? Because that often makes the hair slide loose.

One option would be a bun net thing, but personally I think they are horrible.

What I would do is just tie it in a ponytail, then on the last time pulling the hair through, just go through half way, so the hair is tucked underneath.
    anna342 wrote: »
    Do you put a lot of conditioner in your hair or is it really soft? Because that often makes the hair slide loose.

One option would be a bun net thing, but personally I think they are horrible.

What I would do is just tie it in a ponytail, then on the last time pulling the hair through, just go through half way, so the hair is tucked underneath.

I was going to say, does it have to be an actual bun, otherwise go for this suggestion.
    my hair is quite soft. i use conditioner everyday. my hair is a complete nightmare otherwise!

i guess i could just have my hair tucked underneath...i think they want you to have it in a proper bun though.
    How about a million bobby pins?... ah crap I think they are a different name but I cannot think of what... these things. http://carys.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/ist2_47660_bobby_pins.jpg I've seen people use those to keep all the hair up that the band won't keep.

Or you could try a dance store and get a bun net http://www.dancewell.com/shop/images/medium/crochbun_m.jpg Of course there are ones that aren't that obvious http://www.oregonballetacademy.com/images/8.jpg I just couldn't find a product-only picture.
    Get a hair donut. They sell them in Boots for about £4.
    how do you use those? :blush:
    I had to have my hair in a bun once for work experience, it takes a donut band thing, and a hole lot of hairspray, worked for me :) and some bobby pins to help keep it in place :)
    Or, until you get used to it, a pony tail, put the band in, then spiral it around and around then put another band round the spiral to hold it in place.

A packet of kirbi grips in your pocket is probably a good idea to begin with, that way whenever you feel anything straying you can just clip that loose bit up.
    how do you use those? :blush:
    Have a look here
    if you plait the length too it stays in tidier (if you have enough to plait)
    Also don't wash your hair every day as that makes it more likely to stay up - if your worried about it looking greasy you can always just wash the front.
    Dry shampoo is good if you want to keep the front clean but the rest dirty-ish for it to stay up.
    Or, until you get used to it, a pony tail, put the band in, then spiral it around and around then put another band round the spiral to hold it in place.
    - that's what I do. I also tend to put my hair up when it's wet as it seems to hold better that way, whether it's actually washed or not. I also use quite thick hairbands (not scrunchies though) as they seem to hold more hair in place. I also agree that kirby grips are your friend! Always good to have a couple in your pocket for emergencies.