Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

*a little gorey* the aftermath of an apendixsectomy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
had my apendix taken out a week today, and due to the fact that i'm allergic to almost every painkiller under the sun i've been taking codine for the pain, and even though i'm still really sore i've stopped because i've had severe constipation from it.

So a week on, i have really bad diarrhoea for 3 days now - my food isn't even being digested now, its just going straight through, severe cramps day and night, constant tiredness, achey, and i'm wondering if this is all normal or not a week after having surgery? i had keyhole surgery so i don't have huge wounds to deal with...

Comments

• Options
    had my apendix taken out a week today, and due to the fact that i'm allergic to almost every painkiller under the sun i've been taking codine for the pain, and even though i'm still really sore i've stopped because i've had severe constipation from it.

So a week on, i have really bad diarrhoea for 3 days now - my food isn't even being digested now, its just going straight through, severe cramps day and night, constant tiredness, achey, and i'm wondering if this is all normal or not a week after having surgery? i had keyhole surgery so i don't have huge wounds to deal with...

Not normal.
  • Options
    Are you on antibiotics post op?

It doesn't sound that normal, have you spoken to a doc about the diarrhoea?
  • Options
    nope i'm not because the apendix was only inflamed and there was little sign of infection.

i can't sodding get through to my dr cos they're booked up with people scared they have swine flu...
  • Options
    The reason I asked about antibiotics is because sometimes ABs can set of a type of diarrhoea caused by a particular bacteria that can live in the gut... it usually need different ABs to treat it! :D

Deffo worth speaking to a medical person about though - NHS direct?

Make sure you keep yourself well hydrated: dialoryte sachets from the chemist are good :)
  • Options
    i can't sodding get through to my dr cos they're booked up with people scared they have swine flu...

They're not meant to go to the doctors if they think they've swine flu.
  • Options
    i know this, you know this, dumb people don't...
  • Options
    aparently it all reasonably normal - my system is still in upheaval from the op and i've been told to take it easy and relax...

nice!
  • Options
    sneer wrote: »
    Make sure you keep yourself well hydrated: dialoryte sachets from the chemist are good :)

Ice lollies can help re-hydrate you as well if you find everything going straight through you.
  • Options
    aparently it all reasonably normal - my system is still in upheaval from the op and i've been told to take it easy and relax...

nice!

Anything done to your gut/bowels can cause they to act up. They see it as an assult and sometimes can take a while before they start working properly againg and your bowels are back to normal.

Like others have said just try and keep hydrated, ice cubes are good as well as ice lollies :)
  • Options
    I had an appendectomy through a larger scar a few years back now, and I did feel awful for a while after, but I think mostly because I'd not been well for a month beforehand, not eaten for that long etc. I've also had the key hole surgery like how they did yours, on a seperate occasion, and it's suprizing what a difference it makes, the pain from the scars gets so much better so much faster and you are able to move a lot more.

I reckon it won't be long before you're feeling a lot better, just keep dehydrated, try and eat as normally as possible, but maybe avoid things like spicy foods or anything difficult to digest as this may only irritate your bowel more.