Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Greenwash

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are any of you as fed up as me of advertisers using greenwash ?

Greenwash is statements/facts that really have no use/pertinence to the product or are given a spin to make them sound the best.

Such as a certain yoghurt type thing marketed at small children that has 'less than 6 natural ingredients'. So what. Liver, salt and chicken lips are all natural. Just because it's 'natural' doesn't mean its good.

A certain baby milk that has 'Immunofortis' which means fuck all. It's just a mixture of stuff they've called immunofortis to give the impression it's good for your baby's immune system. (Incidentally Cow and Gate have just been rapped over the knuckles for advertising milk that 'actively supports your childs immune system').

A certain brand of ibuprofen (just the ordinary tablets) who claim that 'nothing works faster' That's because the 32p for 16 ibuprofen tablets from Sainburys work just as fast as the £2.79p for tablets from you.

And one personal niggle - 'The perfect gift for Christmas, Mother's Day.....' Ahhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No it fucking isn't. It's not perfect or everyone in the fucking world would want one !

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like someone needs a good seeing too :p

Seriously though, buy new Persil small and mighty. Its going to save the planet. :thumb:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Greenwash is statements/facts that really have no use/pertinence to the product or are given a spin to make them sound the best.

Isn't that the point of advertising though?

Who really cares? If you don't like the product, don't buy it. If it gets your knickers in so much of a twist then stop watching adverts and switch channels.
  • Options
    I don't mind when advertisers try it, that afterall is their job.

It just irritates me when people believe it.
  • Options
    That's not what greenwash is, is it? I thought greenwash was environmental spin, telling you that the product is somehow good the environment to make you feel virtuous about buying it.
  • Options
    Of course advertising is codshit, but it's very believable codshit. It's written by very clever people and is cleverly designed to be completely believable codshit. I don't blame people who fall for it hook, line and sinker. I'm fairly clued up and I've fallen for it- anyone who says they haven't is a liar. Exhbit one: Horlicks, whose main ingredient seems to be transfats, used to be one of my favourite drinks.

BBC3 did a programme on it not so long ago, which was very interesting. "British bangers" that had 5% meat, so couldn't be called sausages and "cheesy slices" that didn't have enough milk in to be called cheese were two examples.

Anything that includes the words "organic" or "natural" in the blurb is 100% guaranteed to be complete horseshit.
  • Options
    Those M&S ads are the best, the way they describe the food in such detail which really isn't important, but boy does it work! Makes me want to buy their stuff even though they've told me way too much about it!

I hate the clearasil ads, the people in them have great skin already and it's not because they have been using the product!

I know what you mean though, when they claim 'we fit the best' or when they say something like '98% of women who tried it claimed it works' and then in small print at the bottom it says out of 20 people surveyed. Wow, like that means alot then.
  • Options
    Or KFC implying that they have fresh chicken delivered every day to every store. Then comes with a little bit of text at the bottom that says "Minimum of 3 deliveries per week"

Subway's fresh ingredients pisses me off, the number of times I have seen them have all their products delivered frozen pisses me off.
  • Options
    Who really cares?

I do. I don't like seeing people or myself conned. Thanks to me (and Leigh) and several others who complained i got a Weight Watchers ad changed. It claimed x% of people lost y lbs in their first 3 months. When you delve a little deeper this was a statistic from carefully selcted WW classes in America that specifically dealt with very obese (35 stone+) people. If you put a woman who's 25 stone overweight and a woman who's 1 stone over weight on exactly the same diet and exercise routine, guess who's going to lose a hell of a lot of weight ?
  • Options
    Im going to complain about that KFC ad :)
  • Options
    ummmm KFC. :yum:
  • Options
    Yes, the KFC advert now has at least one complaint against it :)
  • Options
    It's only like how the "British Skin Foundation" always approves Garnier products asd being fantastic for everything.

Guess who owns the British Skin Foundation? Hint: the brand starts with G and ends in arnier.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Of course advertising is codshit, but it's very believable codshit. It's written by very clever people and is cleverly designed to be completely believable codshit.

Genius.

:D