Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

allergic reaction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys!!

Ok, so I have an on/off allergy to spicy foods - crisps to be exact. Im not exactly sure what it is im allergic to in them, but im guessing its one of the additives - though i have no absolutely no idea which one!!
The last time i had a big reaction was about 5 years ago after I ate some spicy doritos and was in bed for a week, so since then ive generally stayed clear of any form of crisps that are remotely spicy or even LOOK spicy in any way and ive been ok. Every now and again ill have a mild reaction when my lips become really sensitive and bigger, but generally its not too bothersome, and again, i cant figure out what exactly ive eaten thats brought it on.

Weell, I was an extremely stupid drunk last night, and when a friend offered me some crisps, i forgot to ask or look to see what flavour they were and proceeded to chow down on over half the (HUGE) packet.
(it later turned out that they were spicy chili flavour)

Needless to say, I woke up this morning feeling like my head was in an oven, looked in the mirror only to find that my face is swollen, the colour of a tomato and my lips are of a size to rival Pete Burns' :no:
( If i needed confirmation of how awful I look i got that half an hour ago when i went to the corner shop only to be confronted by a pissed homeless man who pointed and cackled and mumbled something about lobsters when i walked by :( )

Anywho, does anyone know of any medices/ointments/tablets that i can take that will help ease the swelling/redness of my skin and lips?
my face isnt painful yet, but my skin is really tender and I can tell that when i sleep on it im going to wake up in agony tomorrow morning!! Same goes for my lips, but im guessing theyll be easier to take care of as long as i drink a lot of water and keep em hydrated.

Whenever this has happened before ive been at home and my mum has sorted me out with stuff, but she's away so i cant call her and get sorted out :impissed:

heellp!! ive got a job interview on monday and i dont want to go in looking like a creature from the deep :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Your problem doesn't sound good:no:

I would personally go to a doctor and ask a pharmacist and see what they would recommend.

I'm sure others on here will give you a better answer than I have :)
  • Options
    Pharmacist is a good suggestion.

Antihistamines are the things that usually deal with allergic reactions, and most hayfever tablets are antihistamines so if you've got any of them give those a try.

Regular icing helps calm the irritation and get things back to normal faster.

Insect bite and sting creams, antisan, Hc45, own brand versions of the above should all help as well, although go sparingly putting Hc45 and the like on your face.

Drink plenty of water and cool showers/splashing your face with cold water.

Try and avoid lying down completely flat, keep your head up on an extra pillow and that will help any inflammation drain.

And if you're in discomfort a touch of ibuprofen/paracetamol wouldn't go amiss either.
  • Options
    if anti histamines dont work, then i would try the homeopathic remedy "apis mel" in 30c and take one pill every hour or so. When I had a huge allergic reaction on my face this really worked
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about that one, Apis Mel is pretty fab stuff.
  • Options
    I think you probably should see a doctor about this especially if its is making your face swell up quite so much. They should be able to refer you for proper allergy testing and provide you with any anti-allergy meds necessary (antihistamines or even an epi-pen!).

Have you seen a doc about it?
  • Options
    thanks guys!!

i asked about seeing a doctor but apparently here (australia) it costs $25 to even see a doctor, let alone pay for medicines etc so i just went to a chemist!!
    i tried hayfever tablets yesterday, basically because thats all there was available to me, but i took the advice and took some 'apis mel' tablets or whatever they are, this afternon. i only took them about an hour ago but already the sweling seems to be a bit less and less irritating so ill keep taking them!!
    i also bouhg t some local australian medicine bt have yet to try it out. apparently have to take it once right befoe bed, sooo will see!!
    australisn chemists are rap. i asked them what i needed and the response i got was 'sorry, we dont have anything, walk 20 mins down th road ad ask them'. this is comeing from a 18 or odd girl wo obviously just started the week or so before, damnn her. i wanted to throttle her, cu it was so obvious she has something/ gr

anywho, thanks for the advice , i would never have come up the answers you guys did. i think im a it f a tit
    not to mention drunk :)
    i figured id forget all my trobles and get drubnk ink the hostel where bnowhne cares that i look like a lobster :)
  • Options
    i really think you should go see a doctor, allergies can develop!! don't meen to scare you its just that it happened to me and i thought tablets and cream would be fine, but i now go into anaphalaxis which is no good and you need adreniline.... any swelling is not and i repeat not good go see a doc you can't be too careful with your life!!!