Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Newcastle - what to do and hotels?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi guys, we are going to Newcastle end of August for our mates b'day, we want a hotel - close to all the action and cheapish, does anyone know of any?

Also are there any 'must visit' pubs/clubs?

Cheers :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    As far as I know the cheapest places to stay at the hotels such as Premier Inn and Holiday Inn. The Premier inn closest to all of the action is this one http://www.premierinn.com/pti/pTiibsRedirect.do?INNID=NEWNEW&iscsell=true and the closest Holiday Inn is this one http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/925/en/hd/ncljb?crUrl=/h/d/hi/925/en/availsearch&rpb=hotel&ias=y&_requestid=256713
    ETA: There's this Travelodge too http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=214
  • Options
    Hotels in Newcastle are pretty much your standard Travelodge/Premier Inn cheap-and-cheerful places, unless you're wanting to fork out a bit more for a Hilton or Malmaison that is.

There's a Travelodge and a Premier Inn on the Quayside and a Jury's Inn by Life, which is in the gay quarter.

As for essential pubs and clubs, it really depends on what you want from a night out. If you want corporate fuckery go to The Gate(s of Hell) complex, if you want a fight go down the Bigg Market and if you want to pay top dollar bar prices go along the Quayside. And if you want the gaybars go out around Central Station/Life.

The Chinese fat bastard buffets in Chinatown- opposite the football ground- are all pretty good and pretty cheap, especially to line your stomach for a session.

I'm a real ale beardy so my taste probably isn't yours. But my two favourite pubs in Newcastle are The Cumberland Arms and The Newcastle Arms. The Cumberland Arms is great for a few Sunday afternoon beers, sat out in the garden.

If you want offensively bad cheesy cheese then Buffalo Joe's ain't bad. With half naked bar staff and a bucking brono what you see is what you get.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, will deffo have a look at them hotels.

We dont mind where we go thb, as long as its cheap and cheerfull!
  • Options
    I would suggest Travelodge and Premier Inn also. Sometimes some of the others have deals on so it's worth doing a browse of the likes of Superbreak, LateRooms, etc. You might also want to sign up to Travelzoo as they sometimes have offers.
  • Options
    All the centrel hotels are booked - we should of booked them earlier!

There are rooms at Travelode Gatehead and premier travel inn at Metro centre, will these be close enough?
  • Options
    Think the Metro one will be better?
  • Options
    Metro centre isnt exactly close to the centre of newcastle
  • Options
    She's not wanting to go to Durham :p
    Those 2 and virtually next to each other (about a 10 min walk from the Metrocentre)
    If you're planning on going in and out of the city centre then the city centre hotels would probably be best. Those two are about 10 mins in the taxi from the city centre.
  • Options
    The two hotels are basically opposite each other, across a busy roundabout. They're both by a small retail park which has a TGI Fridays and a Frankie and Benny's, and the Premier Inn has a good buffet carvery attached to it.

There's a bus into the centre of town from there, every 10 minutes daytime and 20 minutes evening, with a journey time of about 20 minutes. Fare's about £1.50 each. Alternatively a taxi into Newcastle from there will be about £10 private hire and a hackney carriage back from Central Station will be about £15.

The two Metro Centre places should be alright for a night out, and you have the Metro Centre for a dirty breakfast and some retail therapy on the Sunday.
  • Options
    The metro centre one has sold out now! So we are looking at B&Bs!

Theres quite a few decent looking ones close to the city (taxi ride) anbout £25/£30 pp with a breakfast so probs cheaper than travel inn etc anyway
  • Options
    As you've found out Newcastle City Centre hotels sell out well in advance, I'm a student up here and my parents have always struggled finding somewhere to stay when they've been to visit for longer than a day.

I'd recommend trying to get into B&B/hotel in Jesmond, there's tons of them, but I have no idea what the prices are like so can't help you there. They seem popular with big groups though, often see hen groups etc outside them on a Saturday morning waiting to leave.
    The good thing about Jesmond is there's quite a few bars you could have drinks in before heading into Newcastle centre. The centre is walking distance away aswell if you know where you're going, but if not you can get the metro in (£1.40 single) or the black cabs are about £7.