Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Phone Numbers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I apologise in advance if I sound naive and blonde - this is all new to me and my rents who have had the same phone number for 25 years don't know the answer.

So I posted asking how you get your phone connected due to the previous tenants cutting the connection box off the wall. So kindly our electrician friend is reattaching a box to the wall for £2.99 (the cost of the box!) saving us the £125 fee from BT.

So..how do I get a phone number issued to my address? I've googled and tried to rephrase the question but without much luck. As the previous tenants originally had the box and therefore a phone line, does that mean there is a phone number associated with that address already? Do I have to buy a new number, do only BT issue them and will it cost me an arm and a leg?

Thank you any one who replies! I'm currently digging through phone/broadband deals too - this is all driving me nuts and the idea of not having my usual means of communication to hand is freaking me out so I want it to be sorted and soon! Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If there is working systems in there, then you should be able to set up service with BT without that massive charge. They should tell you what the number is.
    MrG wrote: »
    If there is working systems in there, then you should be able to set up service with BT without that massive charge. They should tell you what the number is.

I called them about it and they said that I'll still incur the charge because it counts as wiring and connection fee. The friend is qualified to do it so that bits sussed. Think I'll have to ring BT to get them number then? Thanks :)
    If you've got all the wiring then the line should still be connected.

When we moved into our house the line was switched off when the previous owner cancelled her contract but they switched it on again for no charge.
    The connection fee should only apply in cases where the equipment is there, when it has never been accessed before. Like when its put in new build flats and you are the first tennants to use it.
    MrG wrote: »
    The connection fee should only apply in cases where the equipment is there, when it has never been accessed before. Like when its put in new build flats and you are the first tennants to use it.

Hmm, I'll have to call them again. It's not the putting the box back on the wall stuff that bothers me too much because someones gonna do that for free. She even left the phone to ask someone else and came back with the same figure saying it counts as call at charge and damaged equipment that needs replacing. I don't know - just sounds like another way to milk it. Thank you anyway - in theory there should still be a phone number so I'll pester til I get it :)
    Ok. First of all you need to ring them after you've got the box re-attached. Don't even mention the box the next time you call.

Even so, BT can and do charge the "connection fee" even when there is all the hardware and wiring in place. Connection in this case applies to basically turning on the line, that is, probably flicking the switch on a computer. Quite how they get away with it I don't know.
    yeah, the connection fee usally has jack all to do with wiring, just activating a dorment/unused line even when connected incurs a lovely charge by the twats at BT, although they tried to charge me £1800 for a new phoneline when I moved house it was originally a choice of £1800 for a new phone line or pay off the end of the contract £200 and have no phone line, although i got that sorted.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    yeah, the connection fee usally has jack all to do with wiring, just activating a dorment/unused line even when connected incurs a lovely charge by the twats at BT, although they tried to charge me £1800 for a new phoneline when I moved house it was originally a choice of £1800 for a new phone line or pay off the end of the contract £200 and have no phone line, although i got that sorted.

Having called them, my bf also had a go and obviously picked up a better employee. He a) found our address and confirmed it was connected before and b) said he would reconnect us for free - gave us a number to dial, told us to plug the phone in once we're really, dial the number and it'll all be done and dusted! Ridiculous that you can't get a straight answer first time every time. I was queuing on the line for nearly an hour!
    See I knew that would be the case :)