Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Gran Canaria

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys, Im looking for abit of advice, we are looking at booking a hol for next summer (still got our holiday to go on in Sept!) my partners sis and her family are going to Gran Canaria and want us to go, so we went to the travel agents yday and the stuf she was telling me it was putting me off!

She said its like a 'tea cup' very very hilly - I hate hilly places and Ruby will still be in a buggy.

She said its a volcanic island so the beach is 'dirty' :impissed:

She also pointed out that the hotel our family are stopping in is not near the beech at all, so walking to the beech will be a hike!

We are going to Alcudia in Sep and our hotel is on the beech, no joking, thats why we booked it - with a little one all you want to do is go on a beech/ walk on beech/ have a stroll around the resort. So the travel agent says we are being spoiled by this hoiday. Alcudia is known for being a family resort.

Also its costing us the same price this year as it will next year - we are going all inclusive in early September, and next year it will be in August cos of the kids holiday and its self catering.

Really putting me off, is Gran Canaria nice? Wel I know its nice, but it is child friendly, what are the good points?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like everywhere, there a nice parts and not so nice parts

Where are they going / have you been invited to?
    Puerto Rico, apparently it has a man made beech :eek2:
    there are two man made beachs in PR, the main one which is great and then the one just down the road at anfi which is the most amazing beach every, GC is a great place, there are a lot of hills but most of the towns themselfs are flat and if you leave them you will most likely go by taxi anyway,

I used to go once a year so where abouts you planing on staying?
    Puerto Rico is VERY hilly, most of the hotels are built into the hills and cliffs, nice beach but wouldnt really recommend it for children. Lovely weather though :)
    Puerto Rico beaches aren't dirty - very clean in fact.

The main one in a natural beach i think (down in the centre) and is excellent and clear water. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=puerto+rico,+gran+canaria&ie=UTF8&start=0&ll=27.787758,-15.718195&spn=0.014674,0.019248&t=h&z=16 (Towards the bottom right of the link - near the marina)

Whereas the one in the top left area is man made, but still lovely.

You can't really tell, but the beach that runs along Paseo Maritimo, the area round there is really hilly. Still nice though. If you are staying towards the top of the hill (we stayed right at the top), I recommend walking down to the beach and getting a taxi or bus back up, as in the heat, the walk can be a nightmare.:)
    I went to Puerto Rico when I was a kid. Definitely not dirty. But really hilly, which only matters if you choose a hotel at the top of a hill like we did. Made the walk back from the beach a right bitch.