Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long distance Driving & Night Driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok, so the longest I have ever driven straight was about 4hours (1stop for fuel) from Ardrossan Harbour to Aberdeen, anyway next wednesday I have my Longest drive coming up, and its a night drive (for most) I am donig it after work but will have a few hours sleep before hand, so I was gonig to ask people for there tips on it,

The biggest I know is BREAKS BREAKS AND MORE BREAKS, specially at night, We'll be stopping around the boarders for dinner Carlile, but then its a 230miles strech on the M6, I know here it is a case of the moment you feel tired pull in as you don't know when the next stop is,

I also know to be careful of Lorry drivers at night, and Foreign ones (left hand drive) as they have a terrible blinds spot, also lots off music to listen to, so any other tips?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Where are you travelling from? You may find that run from [whereever] to the borders is longer than you think. Having said that, I do expect that the M6 will be the dullest bit. At night there won't be a whole lot of other traffic to worry about, it'd be more about not dozing off. So just stop at every suitable place really.
  • Options
    Keep the windows open if its not too cold to keep you refreshed. Listen to the radio or music to keep yourself awake and thinking and active, and bring a drink and maybe some sweets or something to nibble on.
  • Options
    There are plenty of service stations on the M74 and the M6 so just take it steady and stop when you feel tired. I'd recommend that you think about stopping at Tebay services, they're very nice and much nicer than the usual Moto shite.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    There are plenty of service stations on the M74 and the M6 so just take it steady and stop when you feel tired. I'd recommend that you think about stopping at Tebay services, they're very nice and much nicer than the usual Moto shite.

Thanks, We get off the ferry at 05.30 and its About 2hr 30min to Carisle so dinner there at 08.00pm, then straight onto the M6 there, regular stops every 1 1/2 - 2hours maybe or just when I feel I need them, I will deffo have munchies, worst bit will be the lonelyness as Laura will be asleep, Damn her :( maybe the boy will be awake :D although I hope not as it'll make the trip easier.

Thanks for the advice, Kermy where is Tebay? roughly so I can look at it and plan (at work atm so cant get the satnav out)
  • Options
  • Options
    Do you know if its 24 hours? It'll be about 21.00pm when I pass through between penrith and Kendal, :) thanks for the info, found it on a map, looks like a perfect stop, just before penrith (was planning a 10-15minute stop around then before I head on the stretch towards Lancaster,

This is my Route so far (roughly) it has a via Strathaven as it took me through glasgow on the motorway (A big no no it involves back tracking) but any improvements would be recomended or more stopping places, Deffo stop at Tebay if its open (I think i recognise the photo I found of it on Visit Cumbria)

http://route.rac.co.uk/routeplanner.cgi?jsOption=true&lang=en_gb&qs_1=ardrossan+harbour&countryCode_1=GB&qs_3=cm8+1sa&countryCode_3=GB&qs_2=strathaven&countryCode_2=GB&PlanSubmit.x=37&PlanSubmit.y=7&rtype=true&rpref=true&maptype=interactive
  • Options
    It's not a bad route but at that time of night it might be quicker to go straight down the M6 and onto the A14. It's a pain in the arse getting round Stoke and although you can normally cane it on the A50, they're doing major roadworks around Donington.
  • Options
    Like you said, breaks breaks and more breaks.

Stuff for nibbling is good, things with wrappers are a pain to open whilst driving if you're not used to it.

If you want something to drink then those sports top water bottles where you don't need to take the cap off are the best, although if it's new to you then I'd suggest just drinking when you have a break.

If you're new to long distance driving make sure the max time you spend behind the wheel is 2 hours.

Get Lolz and little one to have blankets if they're likely to be sleeping, the very worst thing for driving on your own ( and by that I mean with no on to talk to) at night is a warm car and an empty motorway because it's boring as hell and you get really sleepy really fast.

If you feel heavy eyelids, sod the next services, come off at the next junction and go for a swoop around the round about, there's usually somewhere just off the junction where you can pull over and get out for a wriggle and fresh air.

Obviously whatever happens don't stop on the hard shoulder unless the car breaks down, and if that happens get all of you out and walk up the embankment to sit away from the road.

My two essentials are munchies of some kind and lively music to listen to, sing along cheese is always a good one.
  • Options
    Like you said, breaks breaks and more breaks.

Stuff for nibbling is good, things with wrappers are a pain to open whilst driving if you're not used to it.

If you want something to drink then those sports top water bottles where you don't need to take the cap off are the best, although if it's new to you then I'd suggest just drinking when you have a break.

If you're new to long distance driving make sure the max time you spend behind the wheel is 2 hours.

Get Lolz and little one to have blankets if they're likely to be sleeping, the very worst thing for driving on your own ( and by that I mean with no on to talk to) at night is a warm car and an empty motorway because it's boring as hell and you get really sleepy really fast.

If you feel heavy eyelids, sod the next services, come off at the next junction and go for a swoop around the round about, there's usually somewhere just off the junction where you can pull over and get out for a wriggle and fresh air.

Obviously whatever happens don't stop on the hard shoulder unless the car breaks down, and if that happens get all of you out and walk up the embankment to sit away from the road.

My two essentials are munchies of some kind and lively music to listen to, sing along cheese is always a good one.

Yeah, I loved watching people sitting on the hardsholder having lunch when I dorve up to deen, IDIOTS lmao, but thanks, I will be very careful,

Kermit, thanks for the tip with the M6, certainly looks easier not to get off, I am just trying to program all these manual routes into the satnav (it keeps trying to go the route it wants to go, not the route I WANT it to go lol)
  • Options
    Try and have the wndow open if you can, or the heater on cold - if you feel warm them you feel more sleepy!

Some good tubes that you can sing to/ have a bit of a beat, nickleback etc?

Stuff to eat, sweets, choc, suggary drinks, red bull! When me and my fella was coming back from Creamfields he got a big tin of relentless from service station - we had been dancing all night and he was knackerd!

Hope it goes okay and remember if you need to stop then do so.
  • Options
    yes, be well rested before, make many breaks. Listen to reasonable loud music (not some monotone drum stuff). I would always advice to drive with someone else, so he can keep you up, or displace you. Not always possible to not go alone, but with someone else to have conversation/watch over you, it's usually no biggie.

The most dangerous thing is, that you don't really notice you become sleepy. So avoid any risks and have the window open, the radio playing etc etc.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Between Penrith and Kendal. It's an independent service station run by the farm next door and they have a farm shop in the services.

And the prices are horrendous. Even worse than most services.

I drive up to Newcastle and Scotland on a weekly basis and generally do over 30 hours of driving a week for work. Sometimes I can remain alert wihtout stopping - have managed Glasgow to Soton before in under 6 hours late on a Friday.

But sometimes I get tired too and it's important that at the slightest sign of tiredness that you pull over and try and interact with somebody or have a energy dring and a power nap whilst you wait for the energy to kick in. Once you start feeling tired on the road it is very hard to break out of it. Pulling over is your only safe answer. If you find yourself getting tired and a services or an exit are awat off, try doing a running commentary in your head of what's goign on around you - much like the police have to do during a chase.

Listening to loud music is not a great solution to tiredness, it removes you from your surroundings and eventually rhythm can have the opposite effect. And in your case wiht with people sleeping in the car it's not ideal.

Likewise rolling down the window isn't a solution to feeling tired although keeping the window open is quite good at preventing it coming on - it's keeps you intouch with the fact that your are infact moving at quite highspeed and there is stuff going on outseide your little metal box.

As you not doing it for work, take time to stop and try to enjoy your drive. Getting out of your car for even the smallest amount of time will break up the journey. You're always more alert if your interested in your surroundings.

Safe trip.
    Weekender Offender