Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Daily vs Monthly Lens

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what's the real life differences between wearing contacts that are designed for daily wear vs Monthly?

i.e. are they thinner or more comfortable to wear? Do they break more easily because they're designed to be worn once?

Are they easier or harder to insert or remove?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i had a trial of them before and i found them less comfortable than my monthly lenses for some reason, but that may have been just the ones i tried. There are many brands.
    I have gone over to fortnightly ones now
    I've worn dailies and monthlies.

I prefer my monthlies for the vision I get, but that's because it's hard to get good astigmatism correction on daily lenses.

I prefer the daily one from the faff point of view, take them out and chuck them.

First half of the month there's not much to chose between them on a comfort front, but I reckon towards the end of the month the daily ones are more comfortable than old monthly ones.
    Do the daily ones feel thinner and more likely to rip?
    DG wrote: »
    Do the daily ones feel thinner and more likely to rip?

Thy are slightly thinner but you would have to be pretty kak-handed to rip them. I have worn lenses for a number of years (more recently daily disposables) and have never ripped a lens - even while inserting them while pissed. Not ever. Never. Never. Never. Nope. Not. :no:
    I have monthlys, where I can put them in and take them out when I want just change the lenses each month for new ones. I've wore contacts for 7 years and only ever ripped one pair! Even when I've been completely wasted I still manage to take them out in once piece. There actually quite tough and durable.

My friend has the daily ones and she has never had a problem with ripping with hers either!

First half of the month there's not much to chose between them on a comfort front, but I reckon towards the end of the month the daily ones are more comfortable than old monthly ones.

I get this, towards the end of the month the protein build up on the lenses make my eyes feel a little dry. Even though I wrinse them before putting them in! I went to the opticians on Sunday and he told me about a new brand on contacts where you change them every 2 weeks so you don't get that build up and that tired eye feeling. I'm hoping to try them out soon, they are £25 a month (I get free eye tests and money off glasses for this as part of my direct debit) only £5 more than what I pay now.
    They don't feel any more likely to rip to me, but that said the only way I've ever torn a lens was by putting my finger nail through it and I don't think any lens would fair too well when trapped between a bathroom cabinet and the sharp end of my nail.
    Got a box of daily lens to try and they feel pretty much identical to my monthly ones - comfort wise feel the same.

Spec wise there's not much difference between the daily and monthly lens - in fact if I read it correctly the daily is slightly thicker at the centre?

http://www.coopervisiontraining.com/uk/contents/uploads/Proclear%20family%20guide.pdf