Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting rid of a 'beer belly'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I'm trying to get in better shape for my holiday later this year, not because I'm obsessed with my appearance but I get marginally self concious on the beach when there are plenty of lads with their six packs out. I have what is typically called a beer belly :p although apparently it's not that bad according to friends (but friends have to lie!).

http://www.ogband.org/Crop/2002/BeerBelly1.jpg

I guess it looks like the guy most on the right. Problem is, I have been relatively active and don't gorge on calories, and am not terribly fat in other places, it's just this stomach won't go away. It's not my waistline (edit: ok, it is my waistline, reading an NHS article I was thinking about my hips lol), I did get to the point where my size 30 trousersr were getting a bit tight but I've got rid of a fair bit of that now. Doing regular exercise whether it be running with the dog for about 20 minutes or swimming widths for about 30 minutes, probably around 4 times a week in total.

I have been trying to do tummy crunches but they haven't done a massive amount, I don't know if I'm working on the wrong thing or doing the exercises wrong :/

edit2:
My BMI is approx between 23 and 25.

Comments

• Options
    Beer bellies are wonderful things and nothing to be ashamed of. Most of the men I know have them and I find the ones that don't a little scary lol :)
  • Options
    Lol, nevertheless, I wouldn't mind looking like this:

discusa1.jpg

:p

at least on holiday :)
  • Options
    Made of stone, permanently crouching, with a frisbee stuck in your hand? ;)
  • Options
    Ok getting off topic now :razz: what ways can I get rid of it??
  • Options
    Really the only way is diet and overall exercise. Doing a thousand situps may create some muscle but it won't reduce the fat in that one specific area so you won't really see a difference anyhow. Your body will pick and choose where the fat will reduce no matter what you do. You say your diet and exercise is good but there is always room for improvement. Try upping the intensity of your swimming or adding some weight lifting into your regimen and pay closser attention to your diet.
  • Options
    Really the only way is diet and overall exercise. Doing a thousand situps may create some muscle but it won't reduce the fat in that one specific area so you won't really see a difference anyhow. Your body will pick and choose where the fat will reduce no matter what you do. You say your diet and exercise is good but there is always room for improvement. Try upping the intensity of your swimming or adding some weight lifting into your regimen and pay closser attention to your diet.
    This is the truth. You can't spot reduce fat in one area. Doing the stomach crunches etc. will improve your muscles but that's no use if the muscles are covered by a layer of fat still. You have to reduce your overall body fat and then you will be able to see the muscle currently lying under the fat better.
  • Options
    Beer bellies are wonderful things and nothing to be ashamed of. Most of the men I know have them and I find the ones that don't a little scary lol :)

:nervous: lol serious?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    :nervous: lol serious?

Yes. Honest!
  • Options
    ^Hellooooooo! I've a good gut! ;):love:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Ok getting off topic now :razz: what ways can I get rid of it??

Sandpaper? Hammer and chisel? ;) :thumb:
  • Options
    thing is, it doesn't even seem like fat, just my whole stomach hanging low as it were, as I can pull the whole thing with my tummy muscles and whilst that doesn't give me a washboard stomach it certainly hides it lol. i assume perhaps wrongly that if it was purely fat i wouldnt really be able to hide that.
  • Options
    Some people just tend to put more fat on around their gut. My legs have always been - to be honest - rock solid. I don't work out, but I've no problem fitting gearboxes by hand(everyone at college needed a hoist), and I didn't struggle that much to put a 140kg engine into the back of a van a couple of years back. But I do have a gut... I certainly do... :)
  • Options
    God damnit.

I thought I was immune from this fat thing everyone else talked about :p.
  • Options
    I tried drinking voddy instead and rarely drink beer.. but you still get a beer belly. :D
  • Options
    thing is, it doesn't even seem like fat, just my whole stomach hanging low as it were, as I can pull the whole thing with my tummy muscles and whilst that doesn't give me a washboard stomach it certainly hides it lol. i assume perhaps wrongly that if it was purely fat i wouldnt really be able to hide that.

Wouldn't that be nice if we could change one part though! I've lost 20lbs and my pants hang off me like a freak but can't go a size smaller because I havn't lost a bit from those giant hips. Get yourself a man-girdle to suck it in ;)
  • Options
    ^Hellooooooo! I've a good gut! ;):love:

Yay! As my Facebook used to say....

I like big tums and I cannot lie
    You other lovers can't deny
    That when I guy walks in with a hairy hairy waist
    And a round thing in your face you get sprung!

*Ahem*

Back to Shyboy, exercise and balanced eating but there is always a part that just doesn't seem to want to shift no matter what you do lol.
  • Options
    Lol, nevertheless, I wouldn't mind looking like this

Go for it. Then we can all see your cock :D
  • Options
    lol RS.

My BMI is certainly healthy anyway, taking a conservative estimate of my height at 5'2 (I think I'm 5'3 at least :p), then plugging in a weight of between 9 and 10 stone (about 9.5, but this gives a nice range) then that gives me a BMI of between 23 and 25. Obviously weight goes up and down though with water retention etc. so it's not the best measure, but I'm certainly not obese.

Yet I'm sure if you got a tape measure and measured me around the widest point in my middle vs. my hip you will see a big disparity. But then everytime I mention it to people they say I'm fine :p but I was even joking with my housemates last year after a particularly large meal that I looked pregnant, so I can't look 'fine' as such. Did some more running today as like Simba said I can always improve so try to take up the 4 times a week to 6 or 7 times, I've been trying to stick to just water as well instead of my usual regimen of lots and lots of tea, but have just caved in to 'cravings' :p.

It might just be the case that I'm not cut out for a flat tummy :(
  • Options
    Hi Shyboy :)

As some of the others have already pointed out sit-ups are fantastic for building muscle but they won't shed the pounds. Infact i'd remove the sit-ups from your exercise regime altogether for now, as they can actually make your stomach appear more sightly. This is because the muscles will just develop under any fat that's there and as a result push your stomach out.

So best leaving the sit-ups until your ready to start toning that stomach of your's ;)
  • Options
    BMI is actually 27 :( i've put on a stone since christmas!! Though 10.5 stone is still quite acceptable for a guy probably.

edit: might nip to the nurse at the local GP surgery and see if she has any tips for me :)
  • Options
    You shortarse! I'm a whole foot taller than you. Now stand still and stop shaking my beer... ;)

Just kidding mate :thumb: I wish I were smaller much of the time, as I'd not have looked such a prat on the RVF400 I admired so much a few years back. I'd have looked like a gorilla on a mini-moto... :(

Even today, with so many people coming up to similar heights, I struggle to get shoes in size 12. You can't even look in the shops and pick a few that you like, you literally have to go in and ask which ones they have in a 12. Often, just one pair... :(

And I'll bet your head doesn't bounce off the sunroof either...
  • Options
    Absolutely not heh. Unfortunately I've not been riding since Christmas since my motorbike failed it's MOT and the guy wanted £800 to fix it. New tyre, new chain and sprockets, new exhaust system (pipes and silencer - £400!), and one or two other silly bits like the footrest apparently being loose.

But back to the weight, I took girl_afraids advice from the chat last night as she told me:

to build fitness - high intensity, short periods, repetition etc. (probably more accurate description of my running)
    to lose fat - low intensity, long periods

so today when swimming (and got ripped off now it's the summer holidays, £1.20 on Friday, £4.30 today :|) I just took it easy but kept swimming for 40-50 minutes, whereas previously I was trying to 'feel' the burn as such until I would eventually get exhausted and need to stop to catch my breath.

So will try that later on when the dog has her run, instead of 'running' I'll just jog at a nice easy pace and try and keep it up for a much longer period of time.

Also today for food had muesli for breakfast, tesco's 'meal deal' of a low-fat ploughman's sandwich, apple juice (41% of RDA sugar!!) and some walkers baked crisps which seemed pretty light on all fronts, got home and had some strong black coffee hoping the caffeine would help me shed a few pounds while I played CSS :p and am trying to keep myself hydrated too to encourage my body to filter out as much fat as possible, or something.

edit: also set myself the target to get down to 9st. Sounds like a lot in a way, but when I'm at 9st I'll start doing more muscle building exercises and change my diet to have a bit more protein so put a bit extra on, so hopefully will waste away the fat on the tummy first, then work on getting some kind of definition on the muscles :p

EDIT 2: Does anyone have any tips to stop the MASSIVE hunger pangs at about midnight? I am unemployed atm so end up not going sleep until about 1 (I should probably force myself to go sleep at 11 or something.. but working on that ;)) but late at night I feel sooooo hungry :(
  • Options
    Water is good for hunger pangs. And I'll only be 9st after I've been in a wooden box for a few months... ;)

BMI isn't the be-all and end-all. What do you reckon Mr T would have been? :)
  • Options

EDIT 2: Does anyone have any tips to stop the MASSIVE hunger pangs at about midnight? I am unemployed atm so end up not going sleep until about 1 (I should probably force myself to go sleep at 11 or something.. but working on that ;)) but late at night I feel sooooo hungry :(

Well I always makes sure I'm really full after eating my dinner. Then I drink at least a pint of water (i'm a big water drinker anyway). Then about 9pm I have a cup of tea. Then I go to bed about 11pm.

I think as long as you're full after your evening meal and continue to fill up on liquids then you'll be ok.

Failing that you could always have a low fat snack like a wholegrain rice cake with philadelphia light or something.
  • Options
    The water did work, so thanks for that tip.

I felt a bit crappy though, I think late night snacking on sweet things was almost like a habit, and I felt a bit 'blue' for not having one. But feel fine this morning.

Willpower!
  • Options
    Loosing Beer Belly

Hi,

You may not be able to get a six pack but you can do is to try and loose the fat and tighten up the stomach area so its flat, it may take some time though.

What I did was to do some of the following:

running/jogging
    Sit-ups
    Press Ups
    Pull Ups

But its not just about exercise you need to look at your diet as well, I changed my type of foods to the following:

No margerine, butter, ketchup, mayonnaise or any other sauces
    Eat some pasta meals but keep the portions small
    Healthy sandwhiches like ham, lettuce, tomoteo
    fruit for snacks like bananas and apples.

hope it helps...
  • Options
    thanks MrShyDrops (ominous name ;)), I have noticed a small improvement in just the past week from doing exercise. Fitness is up a little bit so I can jog and swim much more, and the diet and drinking lots of water at night so i dont binge is helping. Yesterday I had a fairly large dinner of spaghetti and tomatoes but avoiding eating too much meat and otherwise. As for exercises simply doing aerobic swimming and jogging, so what I'm doing for jogging is a 5 minute walk to a local green, then jog lightly for a minute, then walk fast for a minute, rinse and repeat for 20 minutes. It allows me to keep going whereas before I was running to the green without doing warm ups and being worn out when I got there, only able to do a short amount.

As for the swimming I can do lengths all day :p I try to mix it up a bit between low intensity and high intensity too so I am keeping my heart a little bit stressed, but I don't experience anywhere near the same fatigue I do with running.