Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kidneys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Alrighty then. Went to hospital yesterday for my on going weird urination problem. Had a cystoscopy (lovely!) and nothing was found.

So I've got to come back at some point and have an ultrasound of my kidneys done and then have something injected into me so that they can xray them. I'm not too worried about the ultrasound but the injecting stuff and xraying bit doesn't sound too fun. Anybody had either of these things done?

Comments

• Options
    My mum is having something similar tomorrow, although hers is to do with her bowel and it's a scan not an xray.

I am guessing (as Im not 100% sure with xrays and scans) that what they will inject you with is called a contrast. This is used as to make it easier to see the kidenys and highlight anything such as kidney stones etc. The xray itself wont take long at all!
  • Options
    I'm used to x-rays, had far too many tbh :(

I was just wondering what they'd inject me with. They did tell me but tbh, as I'd just had a camera up me I wasn't really thinking straight. So long as it's not barium or anything like that, I'm happy lol.

Silly body!
  • Options
    I've had ultrasounds which included my kidneys and it's nowt to worry about at all. Just like you see in films with the pregnant ladies - the jelly and all that - but obv on your kidneys, not on a bump! It can be a little cold, but not uncomfortable at all. Although you do find the jelly lingering around for a while.

I've also had the contrast xrays a fair few times, if that's what you're having, but on my lungs, not kidneys. It's a teeny bit more invasive than the ultrasound, but it doesn't take long. I don't know if it's the same, but on mine they insert an IV line in my arm, which pinches a tiny bit - just like an injection. Then they inject the contrast straight in there, so you don't feel it. When they inject the contrast it makes you feel all warm and like you're peeing yourself and have a tickly throat. But that only lasts a few seconds. IMO the worst part of the whole thing is ripping the sticky bit off your arm hairs when they take the IV line out! Waxtastical.
  • Options
    I was just wondering what they'd inject me with. They did tell me but tbh, as I'd just had a camera up me I wasn't really thinking straight. So long as it's not barium or anything like that, I'm happy lol.

If it is contrast, I believe it's iodine. Sure a medical type could say for sure :)
  • Options
    Sorted. Iodine is fine by me. Needles are also fine, though I know what you mean about the sticky bit being ripped off.

I'll think of the ultrasound as being a bit like going to my osteo, only with jelly and not baby oil on my back. Thank you :)

piecesofme, I hope your mum is ok :)
  • Options
    If you're fine with needles, you'll be peachy. Nowt to worry about :)
  • Options
    I like needles lol. I'm a bit odd lol but it helps with the blood donating :)
  • Options
    I had a kidney scan x-ray thing years ago. I was in hospital as a day patient. They injected me with some kind of radioactive dye in the morning and then waited for a bit. Then I had to lie in a tube thing while they took images.

Had to have a canula in my hand all day, which I don't really like. But apart from that it was fine.

Dunno if that's what they'll be doing with you or not.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I had a kidney scan x-ray thing years ago. I was in hospital as a day patient. They injected me with some kind of radioactive dye in the morning and then waited for a bit. Then I had to lie in a tube thing while they took images.

That sounds more like a CT scan, did you have to lie on a table that kind of moved through the tube?

Thanks Marina Aniseed :) she's fine. Just has to have a few tests to find out whats wrong and whats going on!
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    That sounds more like a CT scan, did you have to lie on a table that kind of moved through the tube?

Thanks Marina Aniseed :) she's fine. Just has to have a few tests to find out whats wrong and whats going on!

Hmm... Yeah was probably that actually.
  • Options
    Well, I had my appointment today and they can't find anything wrong with them. Which I guess is a good thing but on the other hand it's bad because 9 months down the line, nobody's any the wiser as to why I'm urinating blood. The ultrasound felt kinda weird but was much better than the camera!