Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fruity diet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since monday Ive been on a diet. I have quit a big appetite I think. I am always hungry through the day when I'm at work. Other people just don't seem to eat as much as me. I'm on this diet because I want to lose up to half a stone. It's not much really but makes a big difference when you're already on the petite side.

So I've been substituting my snakcs for fruit. And oh my god it's been hard. But it occurred to me that I might not actually be doing as much good as I think?
Yesterday I ate a whole punnet of grapes, thats 500g = 300 calories.
I also had:

small bowl of special k
banana
apple
wholegrain rice cake (30cals) with some philapelphia light
wholemeal pasta and salad

then my tea which was chicken, veg and wholegrain rice. and i dont snack once i get home or drink alcohol during the week.

but is the fruit with all those calories really going to help me lose weight?

Comments

• Options
    IMO, worry less about calories. Pay more attention to carbohydrate intake - I've found fruit much easier to deal with than pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, etc... :)
  • Options
    No it's sugar and an entire punnet of grapes is a lot of sugar.
  • Options
    >18 teaspoons worth infact haha
  • Options
    So do I need to be careful how much fruit I eat coz of all the sugar?
  • Options
    I suppose you do but I wouldn't worry about an apple or two. Fruit is beneficial to dieters as for what is eaten there isn't a lot of calories, e.g. 500 calories per 100g of chocolate, 650 for nuts, about 50 for apple and a few more for grapes. There aren't many calories in the fruit but you ate 5 portions of it.
  • Options
    Eating stupid amount of certain fruits can make your poo a bit funny.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »

Very scientific.
  • Options

does it crack jokes when coming out?
  • Options
    Yeah, but they are a bit shit.
  • Options
    don't worry about eating apples. they contain negative calories. your body burns more calories to digest them than is actually in them.
  • Options
    im pretty sure that apples are not calorie negative, theres been very little proof of actual calorie negative foods
  • Options
    Yeah, but they are a bit shit.

I LOL'd
  • Options
    Not surprised you're hungry, i'd be bloody starving on that diet :( ! Did you just have rice cakes for your lunch?
    Sorry not very helpful that. Anyway on a serious note, i really wouldn't worry too much about the fruit issues, you're meant to eat 5 portions a day but why not opt more for melon, kiwi fruit, peaches or strawberries instead, think they're relatively low on calories. Plus fruit's good because it's quicker to digest than a lot of other foods.

Why not try introducing a more filling lunch by the way to help keep you going through the day and hopefully reducing snacking?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    So do I need to be careful how much fruit I eat coz of all the sugar?

Its better to get your sugar intake from fruit than refined sugar in other foods.

Stick with what you're doing and dont worry about calories.
  • Options
    don't worry about eating apples. they contain negative calories. your body burns more calories to digest them than is actually in them.

that's not true.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    that's not true.

:yes:

Alot of people go on about negative calorie foods such as celery and apples but I'm sure research has shown it isn't true. So I wouldn't rely on this as fact tbh
  • Options
    I 'think' though not 100% sure that celery is a negative food, but celery with nothing on it. no salt, no pepper, no fun.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    Not surprised you're hungry, i'd be bloody starving on that diet :( ! Did you just have rice cakes for your lunch?
    Sorry not very helpful that.
    no I have a sandwich or pasta for lunch. Rice cake with Philadelphia light is a snack and actually really yummy.
    I've gotten used to this diet now and see it as healthier eating and am not as hungry now my stomach has got used to it.