Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

being reported to the police for something you haven't done :(

just wanting people's advice on this because im really scared :(

basically, my mum hates me. she knows ive got this pcso job and im just waiting for everything to go through (references, etc).

anyway, i spoke to her on the phone before. she's a really bad alcoholic and yesterday, i told her she was through frustration. i just wanted to shock her though so she'd get help :( she told me that she never wants to see me again, im never seeing my little sister again and she's messed up my pcso application for me.

she hasn't said exactly what but mentionned something about reporting me for a crime that i haven't committed? my mum has some sort of mental thing where she lies constantly so i wouldn't put it past her.

apparently she told me brother last night that she got in touch with the police to say that ive lied on my application about my addresses (which i havent).

she told me on the phone that i won't be working for the police now and laughed :(

my mum is known to the police in the local area as a drunk, an attention seeking liar with mental issues and as a trouble maker. will they take anything she says seriously?

im just really scared that 1. im going to get in trouble with the police for something i haven't done (and possibly getting a criminal record! worst case scenario!) and 2. that she has just wrecked my career :(

nobody quote this please because i AM going to delete this as soon as i get some answers (it will be obvious to other people who i am if i leave it on here and they come on this website)

im just panicking slightly :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey, congrats on getting so far with the job, have you got a start date yet?

Try not to worry too much about what your mum said. Given her relationship with the police I would think they'd throroughly check out any information she gave them, were they to act on it. You would only get a criminal record if you were charged with an offence, and for that they would need evidence. If you haven't done anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck :)
    I agree, I think if they know her reputation, they probably wont take her seriously. Also, you haven't done anything wrong. An explanation from you is all it takes to explain its a mistake and all will be well. I'm sure they'd investigate it and as you haven't done anything wrong, they won't find anything to accuse you with.
    1. Your mum is a cunt. Sorry to say that but i had an alcoholic mother (and a paedophile father, hit the fucking jackpot there didn't i) so i really can empathise with you mate. The nasty, vindictive, down right evil shit they can do. (waits for some twat to come along with the 'ooo but she's got problems' shit)

2. I very much doubt you will get a criminal record for something you haven't done.

3. If she's known to the police as a vindictive lying bastard i'd tell (should anything come of this) the peeps concerned with your new job to cotact the police station that knows about your mum.

I think, though of course i could be wrong, she's just saying this crap to 'get at you'. I bet she's done it before, made up stuff to get at you ?
    mizz pink, well, they've told me that they want me to start on the 17th august. this is provided all of my references come back in time (they've got most of them now) and i pass all of the vetting. i'll know in two weeks time (although they are aware i don't need that 4weeks notice) as they want to give everyone who gets on that training course 4 weeks notice.

im just scared. people get charged for things they haven't done all the time because people set them up. i wouldn't put it past my mum to really screw me over. she hates me.

i just really want this job. ive worked really hard to get so far in the application process with the paper sifting, the assessment centre, the interview, and going through the stress of the medical/fitness test (which i was really worried about). i don't want to fail now.

:(

eta: just seen your reply rubberskin, thanks mate. it is possible she is saying this stuff to upset me but tbh, i dont know. my dad has told me that for the entire time he's known her (30-odd years now) that she'll make up/say anything to upset someone so who knows. my dad has told me to not worry and to ignore her but its so hard :( i don't know why she hates me so much. she's treated me like shite my entire life but this really hurts :(
    Aw hun, try not to worry yourself too much. I guess very occasionally people may get arrested for something they didn't do, but it's very rare that people get charged for a crime they didn't commit, as they need evidence. Your mum's words won't hold much weight I don't think, especially as she is obviously well known to police. Like Lexi99 said, if you haven't done anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

Keep your chin up, you've obviously worked very hard for the job, and it'll be August before you know it!
    thanks mizz pink.

yeah, ive done nothing wrong whatsoever. ive never broken the law. i wouldn't be going for this job otherwise.

fingers crossed everything will be ok :) its just stressing me out slightly.
    just wanted to send a hug
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Mizz_pink wrote: »
    You would only get a criminal record if you were charged with an offence

No,that;s incorrect. Strictly speaking you only get a criminal record if you are CONVICTED of an offence although in reality accepting a caution also constitutes a criminal record.
    And the police liek to keep records of people that have done nothing wrong. Bunch of cunts they are.
    guess very occasionally people may get arrested for something they didn't do, but it's very rare that people get charged for a crime they didn't commit, as they need evidence.

Again you're wrong. People get arrested all the time for something they didn't do. And it's not uncommon at all for people to be chared for something they didn't do. You have too much faith in a institution full of cunts.

Fuck the filth.
    Weekender Offender 
    Haven't really got anything to add to what everyone else has said but try not to worry, there is no evidence that you've done anything wrong as you haven't. If she is already known to the police, anything she tells them will probably be discarded. Good luck with it! :)
    Skive wrote: »
    No,that;s incorrect. Strictly speaking you only get a criminal record if you are CONVICTED of an offence although in reality accepting a caution also constitutes a criminal record.

Ok, fair enough, I think I worded it wrongly. Yes, you do get a criminal record if convicted of an offence or given an official caution. However the chances of getting charged for something that you didn't do with no evidence are very slim. Evidence is needed if a case goes to court.
    You have too much faith in a institution full of cunts.

Fuck the filth.

You're quite entitled to your opinion, but please don't tar the whole police service with the same brush.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    You're quite entitled to your opinion, but please don't tar the whole police service with the same brush.

:yes: too right.
    I think it might be worth pre-empting your "mum" as soon as possible. Do you know who your future boss is yet, or have you started training? If so speak to them, if not it would be best to get in touch with professional standards/vetting and ask for some advice.

Whatever happens, it's accepted that some officers/staff will have family who are less than helpful and less than accepting, so don't worry about it too much.
    And the police liek to keep records of people that have done nothing wrong. Bunch of cunts they are.

Again you're wrong. People get arrested all the time for something they didn't do. And it's not uncommon at all for people to be chared for something they didn't do. You have too much faith in a institution full of cunts.

Fuck the filth.

Er, yeah thanks for that. Last time I looked I wasn't a cunt, but whatever.

There are of course words for people that have prejudicial views on a whole range of people based on their experiences of a mere handful of those people. Whatever your experiences have been with 10, 20 or even 30 cops doesn't mean we're all the same.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    However the chances of getting charged for something that you didn't do with no evidence are very slim. Evidence is needed if a case goes to court.

But the chances of being pressured into accepting a caution for something you probably wouldn't be found guilty of in court are quite high.
    And of course a caution constitutes a criminal record.

And Whowhere it not individual gavers I have a problem with it's the institution. It's fucked up.
    Weekender Offender 
    Police officers routinely put pressure on people to accept cautions when they've done nothing wrong. They tell the people (usually young, usually alone) that a caution barely matters and that a caution will get them out much quicker. They scare people with tales of court and prison. Young naive people will go along with it and accept a caution for the quiet life.

I don't blame individual police officers- they work in a culture where they are targeted on numbers, not on how well they behave towards society. It's all about arrests and 'convictions' and the cautions swell the numbers.

It will be worth you pre-empting your mother sooner rather than later, to be honest. If you're wanting to go anywhere in the force then the behaviour of your family and friends can become relevant- it won't count against you, but they will investigate deeply before giving promotions out.
    thanks to those who have replied.

panic over (i think!). my mum left a voicemail message on my phone yesterday telling me not to worry, she just said it to upset me. not sure if i believe her but ive been told by my recruitment consultant that ive passed my vetting and background checks so hopefully everything shall be ok.

kermit, yes, i am aware of that. thankfully, nobody in my family has a criminal record. my mum is known to the local police as a trouble maker though. she's been called out to alot and she's called them out for silly things. the main worry i had was stuff from years ago...lots of alcohol/domestic violence call outs :( thought that may have been held against me. my step dad has a few motoring convictions too (bad ones ). my mum knows how much this means to me. i begged her the other week to stop calling the police over silly things/to stop behaving the way she does but tbh, she doesn't give a shit.

i would like to go further in the force obviously but thats a long way off yet. my plan is to work as a pcso for a few years, then the police then maybe further. who knows. hopefully my mum will have grown up slightly by then.
    Hi I work in a crown court and I can tell you now that this is something you wont get in trouble for. The police will know you haven't lied if you explain it to them :) hope this helps