Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

holiday pay

sorry, i wasn't sure whether this was meant to go in work or home, law & money.

anyway, just a question. if you leave a job, are you entitled to any holiday pay you haven't taken?

the reason i ask is because i started a new job in march and they told me i was entitled to 24 days or so of holiday. i have only used 2 or 3 since as everything is booked up.

im hopefully starting a new job on 17th august. however, i have actually got time booked off 8th-16th (booked this off wayyyy before i knew about this start date).

as im still in my 6 month probation, i only have to give a weeks notice. would i be able to give my 7 day notice on the 7th and take my holiday?

i havent had any time off whatsoever since october last year (and even then, that week off was the only week off i had last year) and i really need some time to relax yanno? ive only had a week off in the past 17 months. im tired and would like a break :p

anyway, what are my options? obviously if i get offered the job, i'd discuss my options with my employer but yanno, its not stopping me from wondering now. if i gave two weeks notice, rather than one, would they calculate how much holiday pay i was entitled to and put it in my last wage packet or would they just allow me to have the time off as agreed?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When you leave you are entitled to payment for any holiday you haven't yet taken.

If you're likely to want a reference from where you are at the moment then giving them the minimum one week notice the day before you go on holiday and then never going back isn't going to go down too well.

Basically you should get the pay for any outstanding holiday regardless of whether your finish date is the 7th or 16th.

If you're likely to want a reference from where you are at the moment then giving them the minimum one week notice the day before you go on holiday and then never going back isn't going to go down too well.

I have to agree with this - it's not going to look good... It's a great way to piss off your current boss.
    g_angel wrote: »
    I have to agree with this - it's not going to look good... It's a great way to piss off your current boss.

my boss is going to know about me leaving wayyyy before me actually handing in my notice though.

the job im going for needs a reference from my current employer before actually offering me the job. it can't be afterwards so i'll be asking for the reference whilst still being employed. it will then probably be a week or two after that i'll receive an offer of employment if the reference he gives me is satisfactory and everything else has gone ok. that should then enable me to give 4 weeks notice. so really i'll be giving them lots of notice!
    the 24 days will be for a full year's worth of work, so if you've been there 6 months you'll be entitled to 12 days.
    my boss is going to know about me leaving wayyyy before me actually handing in my notice though.

the job im going for needs a reference from my current employer before actually offering me the job. it can't be afterwards so i'll be asking for the reference whilst still being employed. it will then probably be a week or two after that i'll receive an offer of employment if the reference he gives me is satisfactory and everything else has gone ok. that should then enable me to give 4 weeks notice. so really i'll be giving them lots of notice!

Ah, that sounds much better :)
    mmm, so im definately entitled to it then?

if thats the case, i think i might leave one week earlier than i planned to :) thats IF i start when i think i might be starting if everything goes ok.

thanks guys!
    Yup, you're entitled to all the holiday you've acrued whilst working there. They may well count it to the decimal point though, not roughly half a year so you get half the total.
    Yep you do, im in the same situation and i get paid for my unused holiday :)
    Just check your contract blah, make sure you give the correct minimum notice or they can withold your holiday pay.
    i thought it was one day for each month you have worked if you are leaving?
    i thought it was one day for each month you have worked if you are leaving?

No, I think it is pro-rata'd...