Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

adding food colouring to royal icing? help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm making cupcakes for a friend and am feeling lazy so dont want to make the roll out Royal type icing from scratch. I know that you can buy it ready made.

Can I add food colouring to this? This might be a stupid question but would it work if it's already formed?

I have images of buying a paint brush if I cant mix it in and then just painting the tops of the cupcakes in the colour I want. Is this stoopid?

Comments

• Options
    Get the stuff thats in a block, you can knead in the colouring then just roll out
  • Options
    Yes you can colour royal icing but why are you using royal icing for cup cakes ? Royal is for piping and for covering rich fruit cakes like Christmas and wedding cakes where it needs a good shelf life.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Yes you can colour royal icing but why are you using royal icing for cup cakes ? Royal is for piping and for covering rich fruit cakes like Christmas and wedding cakes where it needs a good shelf life.

am I thinking of royal icing? The one that you can roll out?

It's because I want to decorate them and it's easier to squidge sweets into.
  • Options
    Yes, you can get roll out royal icing and modelling icing, but i think you'd be best with glace icing.

As you seem to want several colours. Make up small batches.

Sift about 4oz/100g of icing sugar into a bowl than add hot water (or lemon/lime/orange juice if you want it flavoured) a few drops at a time. Give a good stir each time and keep adding liquid until you have a consistency that is almost liquid. Add you food colouring by dipping a cocktail stick into the colouring and adding a few drops at a time until you have the colour you want. If the mixture is too runny after adding colouring add a bit more sifted icing sugar.

You wont get deep colours because the sugar is so white, So aim for pastelly colours. Well you can get deep colours but you have to add so much colouring the icing tastes horrible. Light red, pink, sky blue, light blue, yellow, orange etc
  • Options
    You should go the extra mile and do these:

pacman%2Bcupcakes1.xlarger_0.jpg

;)

But yeah, you can. Like Kangoo said, kneading is your friend. Although you can buy it ready-coloured! You can also paint the tops, although this doesn't work brilliantly with supermarket-type food colouring - it's better to source the proper colouring pastes from a cake shop :)

Glace icing is my nemesis. I'm more of a piped buttercream girl when it comes to cupcakes!
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    You should go the extra mile and do these:

pacman%2Bcupcakes1.xlarger_0.jpg

AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    Omigod! I love those Pacman cupcakes! I wish I'd seen them before my boyfriend's birthday...I so would have made them for him.
  • Options
    kaff those are amazing!! I would really like to make mario cupcakes too at some point. I've seen them on t'internet somewhere. I really want to recreate the cupcakes I made with my cousin. Unfortunately she did all the grafting and I just helped decorate. Will post a pic in a sec.

Rubberskin that is a great recipe! I'm kicking myself because I went out and bought royal icing yesterday so will just have to perservere with that I reckons. Wish me luck :)
  • Options
    here are the ones I made with my cousin! and

I REALLY want to make this cookie monster cupcake :hyper: looky!
  • Options
    They look really good. I like the O's and X's one. I saw those sugar letters when we went shopping last week. I occassionally make cakies for Leigh to take to work usually because there's something in the cupboard that needs using up, and the last time i make fairy cakes so i was thinking of getting those letters and making suggestive comments on rich buttery cakes :D
  • Options
    do it!! get some love heart sweets too ;) I'm off to buy smarties to chop up... I love cup cakes
  • Options
    Those cupcakes look really scrummy Clemtine. I prefer sponge cakes over cupcakes, mine never come out right.

The cookie monster cupcake looks amazing.
  • Options
    I prefer sponge cakes over cupcakes, mine never come out right.

If they rise too much make butterfly cakes. Cut the top off and cut it in half, put a dollop of buuter cream icing on the cake then the 2 pieces of the top at an angle so it looks like wings
  • Options
    isn't it Regal icing that you roll out? I get confused. I know I bought the wrong one once but I can't remember if that was Royal or Regal. So confusing!
  • Options
    Those are quite fancy, I'd feel bad for eating them! Nice work :D
  • Options
    I think regal icing is the name companies have given to modelling icing. Royal > Regal sounds nicer doesn't it. You use ready to roll regal for icing sponges and the like.

Personally for royal i do it the old fashioned way for several reasons. It's all natural ingredients, it lasts longer, the edges are better and i like rock hard icing which you don't get with ready to roll. Though it's good if you're into fancy cake top decorating as you can easily get an absolutely flat surface, though the edges can look a bit crap.
  • Options
    ah ok. I remembered Regal being the ready rolled one, or you can get it in a block and roll it yourself. The Royal one you added water to powder and you spread it on with a spatula.

It's all cake anyway! :D
  • Options
    Right thats IT! I'm gonna have to make some cakes now!

Also what is all this talk about cupcakes? When did they stop being fairy cakes?

Or is that what 6 years olds call them? What the hell, they'll always be fairy cakes to me!

Anyone got a good recipe?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Right thats IT! I'm gonna have to make some cakes now!

Also what is all this talk about cupcakes? When did they stop being fairy cakes?

Or is that what 6 years olds call them? What the hell, they'll always be fairy cakes to me!

Anyone got a good recipe?

Nope, there still fairy cakes to me! :yes:
  • Options
    Fairy cakes :yes:
  • Options
    i see cupcakes as more like this sort of thing...and fairy cakes like the ones clementine posted :]
  • Options
    ahh yeah! I always g et mixed up between fairy and angel cakes.. I think that's why. Will post pics of the finished cakes soon :) my friend liked them

ooo here
  • Options
    I've just made some chocolate and pecan brownies...my flat smells amazing :yum: Even if they don't taste nice it was totally worth it just for the smell!
  • Options
    i see cupcakes as more like this sort of thing...and fairy cakes like the ones clementine posted :]

I don't see a difference between the two, except the frosting.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

Cupcakes and fairy cakes are different things, although people do use the terms interchangeably!

Fairy cakes are the good old-fashioned ones you used to have with your mum, usually just a sponge cake recipe in smaller cases!

Cupcakes are an American import, but the recipes are slightly different, with milk or buttermilk, usually, and sometimes extra egg whites or oil, which makes for a moister cake. Also much tastier, in my opinion! Americans do fat food very well :yum:
  • Options
    Cupcakes and fairy cakes are different things, although people do use the terms interchangeably!

Fairy cakes are the good old-fashioned ones you used to have with your mum, usually just a sponge cake recipe in smaller cases!

Cupcakes are an American import, but the recipes are slightly different, with milk or buttermilk, usually, and sometimes extra egg whites or oil, which makes for a moister cake. Also much tastier, in my opinion! Americans do fat food very well :yum:

:yes: Cupcakes are usually bigger as well. I like to make fairy cakes, I made lemon butterfly cakes today - using lemon curd in the cake mix which gives it a very subtle lemony flavour. Yummy
  • Options

Oh very interesting! I've only made cupcakes with regular cake mix, so a fairy cake I guess. No wonder the store bought ones taste oh so much better ;) Mmmmmm fat :yum:
  • Options
    To me -

Fairy Cake - small sponge cake, sometimes covered with icing/decorations, sometime plain/raisins.

Cup Cake - Small sponge cake where the top doesn't come over the top of the papper case. Then filled with a runny icing to the brim of the case and left to set.

:)

I bought some of those letters today so am amking 'buggery' cakes for Leigh to take to work :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    To me -

Fairy Cake - small sponge cake, sometimes covered with icing/decorations, sometime plain/raisins.

Cup Cake - Small sponge cake where the top doesn't come over the top of the papper case. Then filled with a runny icing to the brim of the case and left to set.

:)

I bought some of those letters today so am amking 'buggery' cakes for Leigh to take to work :D

Oh the ones made of pure suger? :yum: I loved those decorations.