Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self-harm expert chat: Thurs 9th July, 7-8pm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there :wave:

On Thursday 9th July from 7-8pm we’ll be joined by Hannes Laan from 42nd Street.

Hannes will be answering your questions live in TheSite.org chat room about anything that is bothering you, or you are curious about, related to mental health and specifically self-harm.

Here’s a bit about Hannes’ background:

" I have a qualification in Social Work and experience in advice and information, child protection and youth work. I have been supporting young people face-to-face and in groups at 42nd Street. 42nd Street is a mental health support organisation for young people based in Manchester, Salford and Trafford. At 42nd Street we have been supporting young people who self harm for many years. We have an on-going commitment to highlight the needs of young people who self-harm, challenging negative stereotypes and misinformation."

Please bear in mind that it's not possible for a chat like this to provide full one-to-one support for individual members - but we will be able to direct people to the best places for further help.

Feel free to post questions here (or PM me) if you think you'll be unable to attend, but do bear in mind that questions asked live will have to take priority.

Once we open chat you will be able to enter here: http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    When I was younger I self harmed a lot and still have the scars on my arms and chest. They've gone white now but they stay white when I tan. Is there anything you can think of to make the scars less noticeable?
  • Options
    Hi there,

This is taking place tomorrow (Thursday) evening. Thanks for your question Kermit, we'll hopefully be able to fit it in tomorrow.

If anyone else can't make it and would like to ask a question feel free to post or PM me :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder, I will be there I hope!
  • Options
    Can't come but will read the transcript with interest.

My question would have been the same as Kermits.

Also, can you tattoo over very fine scars?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    When I was younger I self harmed a lot and still have the scars on my arms and chest. They've gone white now but they stay white when I tan. Is there anything you can think of to make the scars less noticeable?

This is what I'm wondering too. I know there's make up, but want something more permanent.
  • Options
    I've been told to try a product called "bio-oil" its supposed to work wonders on scars aslong as they arnt to prominent.

Appologies if im not meant to name said product
  • Options
    Bio oil is good to make your skin repair when the scars/burns are healing. It helps the skin stretch and minimises the scars. I never used it, because I was silly; I picked at the scabs instead, because it hurt, and it made the scarring worse.

What it doesn't do is reduce the scarring once it's there. My scars are old, some of them are eight or nine years old now, and bio-oil won't reduce them now.
  • Options
    Hi there,

Thanks to everyone that came along tonight, sorry for the slow start, I was having a few technical issues!

We'll let you know when the transcript is up in the next few days :)
  • Options
    awh ffs forgot that was tonight.....
  • Options
  • Options
    The stuff about free skin camoflage from the Red Cross is really helpful, I've been worried about entering the "real world" with my scarring.
  • Options
    I thought it was too! Never even thought of that. I don't mind the scars usually, it's just with working in an SU with vulnerable people I don't want them seeing it and copycatting.