Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

opinions on a car accident/bump

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Of course I want to hear the "right" answer ;)

So earlier today I was stopped at a stop light and somebody hit me. They were probably going the break-neck speed of 3mph, just a roll. Nothing to their car and a little paint was scratched off my bumper.

We pulled over and in all honesty I was going to get their info, toss it in my back seat and forget about it. As my lj friends will know, I think it is quite impossible for me to care any less about the asthetics of my car :p

It was two young kids, probably my age and the guy goes, it is just a little scratch, it shouldn't cost more than $100 to fix. Just so happens we are in a bank parking lot and he says he'll go get some money if thats ok. I didn't say anything. All I said is we didn't have to call the cops because that would be a pointless waste of time when he asked if I wanted to.

I get his name, number (which he let me call to make sure it was his) and gave me a hundo.

But now I feel really bad about it. First, thats just terrible accident etiquette. Thats the kind of thing you do if you are drunk, have no insurance and have a dead body in your back seat. So now I'm shady. Second, I just feel like I ripped this guy off. I know I'm not going to get it fixed... if some godforsaken cloud came over me and I really felt the need to, I would have gone to the store and bought a bottle of the touch up paint for $10... thats if I didn't find a matching nail polish color in my collection.

So now I just feel bad like I made all the wrong decisions :(

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you're worrying over nothing, he hit you, paid $100 which probably made him feel better about it and it's over and done with now.

Life goes on ..

If you feel bad about the money then donate it to a charity that helps people who don't have a car to get bumped .. :)
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Sounds like you're worrying over nothing, he hit you, paid $100 which probably made him feel better about it and it's over and done with now.

Life goes on ..

If you feel bad about the money then donate it to a charity that helps people who don't have a car to get bumped .. :)

Exactly what wrong decision did you make? You said yourself you'f probably forget about it if he gave you his details anyway.
  • Options
    Agreed, you did nothing wrong and probably helped him out, his premiums will not go up or anything
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about the other guy, he did what he thought was right. If he was that quick to give you 100 then it's pocket change to him. Just make sure you've done all you have to so he can't pull a fast one on you legally later - though i expect the 100 he gave you would stop that.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be suprised if he had a no claims bonus or accident free record he is very very keen to keep, that or a dodgy record that he doens't want to add anything more to.

By going through the motions and giving you a slightly ott offer he's basically got away scott free which will do his record a lot of good.

I'd chill about it, that will have cost him a lot less than anything getting anywhere near being official and he can have a clear consciece about doing so.
  • Options
    He was probably dodgy or uninsured and therefore helping himself. I'd pocket and forget...
  • Options
    I bumped into someone once on my bike, pulled up afterthem and we had a quick look but they said just not to bother about it and thanks for stopping! I think my bike came off worse :<

we were at a roundabout, it was raining, they started pulling off and I looked right to see oncoming traffic while I started moving, then only noticed at the alst second for some reason (maybe they didnt think they could make the gap? even tho i was going to go after them!) they'd stopped, so bumped my wheel into their bumper at about 5-10mph lol
  • Options
    i wouldnt worry, he offered and it's not like you forced him to hand over money. just be happy you weren't in my situation the other week when i was at the front of a roundabout queue waiting to go. some guy comes speeding up behind me, hits me in the back shunting me out into the roundabout traffic and before ive had time to even think, he's driven off.