Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cars, automobiles, wheels, whatever....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i'm looking for a cheap little runaround to practice in and hopefully keep for around a year after passing my test. i really fell in love with a pink KA, but it got sold before i could get there to look :impissed: . For those of you that have cars.....

Which is the favourite car you have ever owned?
For what reason?
Likes/dislikes of your current car?
What is your current car?
Any problems?
How much did you pay for your car?
how old have your cars been?

i know it is good manners to answer your own questions first but i can't coz i don't have one and never have had. I have had driving lessons in a kia pride, a renault clio and currently a fiesta. I have also driven a nova and an astra vxr.

Pics would be nice too!! :)

Comments

• Options
    1 - Toyota Yaris <3 her
    2 - She runs well, lean and good MPG, couldn't ask anything more from her
    3 - Love how she runs, she is a lovely car and lovely interior
    3 - dislike, she is small engine and reversing up some of the steap hills can cause a problem, but I get use to that, alot of throttle :) she is always dirty as well :(
    4 - my Yaris
    5 - NOPE, full service and MOT history, 1 breakline bulb replaced before, as for that, nopey nope nope.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    1 - Toyota Yaris <3 her

I would also recommend the Yaris for a runabout car, it is very well suited.
  • Options

Very mint, totally original, 1-owner 1987 Peugeot 205 1.9GTi with every receipt from new - 17 years of them.
    For what reason?

Brilliant to drive, good parts availability, quite easy to work on, good performance, good economy, easy to park, and mine was hugely reliable.

Parts are widely available, comfortable, relatively good on fuel, A/C!!!, leather, cruise, all electrics... traction control, ABS, good handling, CD multichanger, leather steering wheel, heated front screen(elements in it, not just from the interior heater), fuel computer(oddly handy)... just over 40mpg on a run, 30mpg day-to-day without trying.

No real dislikes. Very competent all-rounder. Better climate control would be nice, as this goes down to 18C and then "LO", where it blows as cold as it can constantly. I'd like 16.5C - actually, settings down to 16C with 0.5C increments.

2000 Ford Mondeo V6 Ghia X
    Any problems?

Nothing major. Spent more on parts than I needed to, so it saves me diving back in. Had a noisy wheel bearing, so swapped the pair over. Swapped the discs and pads out at the same time. Had random cold-starting problems, so had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned, though whilst in there I changed the spark plugs and HT leads at the same time, as you've got to remove the upper inlet manifold to get at them properly.

£800, FFSH, 100k

Varies. The 205 was 17 when I had her(she'd be 22 now). I've had brand new company cars, though the newest car I've owned was a 4 year-old Impreza. Older cars make more sense IMO - cheaper to buy, little depreciation, generally cheaper parts when things do go wrong, less worries about resale value or acquiring car-park dings. My car was near mint when I got it, but I've acquired a good 5+ car-park door dings. With a 9 year old car you plan on keeping forever, you don't really tend to worry so much.

Have a nice car, you worry about where to park it. My 205, I'd clean it twice a week and polish it - usually - once per week. The Mondeo... I really don't care. Not seen a bucket since November. Jump in and drive, enjoy it without worries. :)

http://rich.fordmondeo.org
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit

That's all you ned to know. Go kart in thr road most fun yyoull ever havbe,
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've got an N reg Ford Fiesta- tis my first car :)

Pros- starts up well, even in cold weather, smooth to drive, nice small shape (easy parking) and cheap to run (well...when the petrol prices are ok. I usually spend about £26-30 a week and that's commuting an hour each day)

Cons- Because it's an older car I don't have central locking, electric windows, and i've only got a radio/tape player. Other than that, no mechanical problems so far! and parts are easy to get :) Ohh... i'd like a bit of a bigger engine for my next car, this is only a 1.3.

Overall- wicked car, and i'd like to get a new model next or a Ford Focus.
  • Options
    ive had a citroen saxo and a citroen c2. liked both of them, saxo didnt have power stearing which i didnt particularly like but got used to it in the end. and the boot of the c2 is quite small, but then i dont need to put much in it so works out ok. no major problems with either, something went wrong with the clutch on the saxo, but think that was more to do with my driving. think i paid about £2,000 for the saxo and £4,000 for the c2. i had driving lessons in a fiesta and nearly got one. also considered a KA too.
  • Options
    Which is the favourite car you have ever owned? Ford ka
    For what reason? Nippy, good on fuel, I like the look of it - very cute and purple!, small so fits into car parking spaces
    Likes/dislikes of your current car? Ford ka is current car. Like it for all reasons above, don't dislike it
    What is your current car? Lol ford ka
    Any problems? Handls are flimsy so can snap, engine over revving, bodywork rusts easy - nothing too major though and parts are cheap
    How much did you pay for your car? £1300
    how old have your cars been? 10 years +

I love my ka!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    engine over revving

Most people say this when the clutch is slipping...
  • Options
    My favourite car was a Ford Fiesta. It was one of the sportier models and it had fantastic cornering, it could really shift on country roads. Only got rid of it as it had done 117,000 miles and it was getting uneconomical to get it through it's MOT.

My current car is a Toyota Aygo Blue 5-door, cost just over £8000 brand new. Had it a year.

Likes for my current car: 50mpg in urban traffic, £35 annual road tax, lowest group insurance, minute turning circle, easy to park in tight spots, good top speed, £90 service, MP3 dock on stereo, aircon, Bluetooth handsfree.
    Dislikes for my current car: small diameter wheels so it eats tyres and cornering grip isn't great, interior light only comes on when driver door's opened, tiny boot, no rear speakers, tyre and wind roar quite loud, no passenger electric window control on driver's side. The interior light especially annoys me because Toyota have clearly done it just to remind you it's a cheap car.
  • Options

For what reason?
    Any problems?

)

love chatting about cars!
    best car is my current one-4yr old 1.2 polo-its lush, and the newest car ive ever owned.
    first car-mark 1 fiesta 1.1-wicked little runner
    second car Renault 5 1.4-at least i didnt rude it up ali g style
    third car Polo mark 4 1.4 P reg, got Stolen :(
    then N reg mark 4 polo 1.6-worst car ever but it hadnt been looked after, so had to get rid of that sharpish.
    then got a loan and spent 6k on my new car. would always recommend a VW polo-am not a fan of the fox or the lupo though-think they lookd funny (just my opinion dont shoot me down lupo and fox lovers!)

the only thing missing is a little more omph on motorways and that-notice it going down from 1.6 to 1.2 but cheaper road tax, plus fuel seems to last that bit longer. good luck, let us know what you get!
  • Options
    The Ford Ka is a great little beast - it was my first car. Wheels are at the corners so it drives like a kart, really nippy and revvy especially around town, and can hit 100MPH with a following wind on a ... private test track ;)

We've owned a lot of Fords in our family so I'm a big fan, plus I learnt to drive in a Fiesta. They're drivers cars - the vehicle dynamics have just been tweaked to perfection for the kind of price ranges they're available in.

As for the questions though ...

BMW 320cd Sport

For what reason?
    It's fast, it's (relatively) economical, it's super comfy for long journeys (and I cover 950 miles a week), it has all the mod cons I want (climate control, CD changer, bluetooth phone support, cruise control, etc)
    And it looks bloody beautiful :)

Likes - all of the above
    Dislikes - high maintenance costs, no iPod compatibility, no electrically folding mirrors

See above

Any problems?
    The CD changer doesn't like copied CDs and can stay stuck for a few days if it decides to throw a wobbler.
    There is a weird buzz/vibration coming SOMEWHERE inside the cabin/dash and I can't figure out where from.

£12,995

How old have your cars been?
    Current car just hit 3 years old.
    Previous car (Renault Laguna) was 10 years old
    First car (Ford Ka) was about ... 14 years old. My dad still drives it to work!

Yeah, I had a strangely rapid car progression :p
  • Options
    when i'm allowed to drive again, and can take my test i'm hoping to get a clio sport tourer - 4 doors and not 2 which is handy for friends who are wheelchairs, enough space in the boot to fit a 24 track mixing desk (V important!), brilliant little engine, good excelloration (sp), a decent sound system, very economical, i just think it might be rather pricey on the insurance for a under 25 driver...
  • Options
    Which is the favourite car you have ever owned? - Nissan 350Z

For what reason? - Looks, noise, performance, handling

What is your current car? - Fiat Panda 100HP

-Likes: Superb fun to drive. Looks chunky and funky. Great in the city. Great on a twisty road.
    - Dislikes: Sometimes wish it has a little more power. Ride is super-firm. I don't mind it, but passengers sometimes don't like it. It's not my 350Z.

Any problems? - Nope

How much did you pay for your car? - £10k

How old have your cars been? - Varied. Three brand new, several older ones:

Brand new:
    V-reg Ford KA (21)
    05-reg Nissan 350Z (25)
    07-reg Fiat Panda 100HP (27)

Used:
    E-reg Ford Sierra 2.0 GLSI (19)
    A-reg Scirocco GTI (20)
    F-reg Fiat Uno (20)
    H-reg Audi 80 Coupe (23-24. I don't remember which)

I think that's it................................

I also had an Audi TT 3.2 DSG Roadster for a long term hire after some tit crashed into my 350Z. Rubbish to drive, but the girls loved it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Which is the favourite car you have ever owned? - My Astra but more for the memories than it being a good drive.

Also though not technically mine i used to drive my dad's BMW 320 and M3 when i was at university - he went away a lot so i had them for weeks on end - uber cool - he has a porche now

What is your current car? - 1973 Alfa Spider / 2003 Alfa 156 Estate

Spider - I love it because its cute and italian and a challenge to drive which makes i more fun - but its also impractical prone to rust needs a new gear box and only really takes 2 adults.

Estate - is great because its so useful, goes faster than you would expect, has air conditioning and is nice to drive - is less good as it has a blue interior and the drivers seat isn't that comfortable and its a bit of an old persons car.

Any problems? - Alfas are very expensive to repair in the UK

How much did you pay for your car? - Both were about £2750 - but the spider needed some work and is now worth a lot more..

how old have your cars been? - 35 years old to brand new depending on the car
  • Options
    Ok, so i'm looking for a cheap little runaround to practice in and hopefully keep for around a year after passing my test. i really fell in love with a pink KA, but it got sold before i could get there to look :impissed: . For those of you that have cars.....

For what reason?
    Any problems?

i know it is good manners to answer your own questions first but i can't coz i don't have one and never have had. I have had driving lessons in a kia pride, a renault clio and currently a fiesta. I have also driven a nova and an astra vxr.

Pics would be nice too!! :)

BMW 120D Sport

For what reason?

Perfect combination of performance and cheapish to run

Mainly the price of the tyres, although I hold a strong dislike for my dealership

BMW 120D Sport

Any problems?

Traction control DSC failed - replaced FOC and clutch judder - to be replaced FOC

£12,995

This is the newest car i've owned, but my cars have generally been 5-8 years old, except my first car, which was over 10 years old.

I'd say some of the best cars available to you are:

Ford Fiesta
    Skoda Fabia
    Toyota Yaris
    Mitsubishi Colt
    Nissan Micra
    Renault Clio
    Seat Ibiza
    VW Polo

Obviously this isn't taking into account stuff like reliability etc - just mostly small, cheapish to buy / run cars.
  • Options
    stick wiv the KA, cheap to run, cheap to insure, sips fuel, easy to park etc etc!!
  • Options
    Favourite car so far is probably the current one - 07 Ford KA. This is because it hasn't broken yet (and is under warranty for another year :thumb:), gets me where I need to go, and is super cheap to run and insure. It was £4,500 new, but it was preregistered, which made it cheaper, and I part-exed my MOT failure of an old car for £1000 when it was probably only worth about £400. Joy.

The only downsides are the teeny-tiny boot and lack of air-con. Opening the windows doesn't really seem to help the eye-bleedingly hot temperatures in there in the summer, either.

Before that I had a P-reg Fiesta, which was fine, until the last year I had it, where it got to the age that everything started to break at once, and it was costing me a fortune.

Before that I had an L-reg 106, which was also fine until it died spectacularly in similar circumstances to the Fiesta. Oh, and it only had 4 gears, and bodywork so rattly and precarious that it made you incredibly aware of your own mortality while on motorways. But I think having that as my first car made me a much better driver, cause I was always very aware that if I hit anything (e.g. bluebottles, or a cat) I was going to die. No airbags. No safety features. Just me, spread all over the road.
  • Options
    Which is the favourite car you have ever owned? Nissan Micra 1996 (I think)

For what reason? No problems with it until I drove in a flood :(

Likes/dislikes of your current car? Love the fuel consumption, hate the problems I've had with it!!

What is your current car? Ford Fiesta Finesse 2004 1.25i 16v

Any problems? Wheel bearing went - Fixed.... Stiff gears changing from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 1st to 2nd.....sort of fixed...for now **touch wood**

How much did you pay for your car? £3500
    how old have your cars been? Micra 1996, Punto 2000, Fiesta 2004.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    but the girls loved it. :rolleyes:

haha, im guilty of that, my fella has a TT. i only love it cuz its cute though and it has heated seats! he's getting rid of it soon :( i put a sad face there but im not actually bothered. he could have the shittiest car ever and i wouldn't care :) he went to sell it the other week but then got cold feet. men and cars :rolleyes: its like he's attached or something?!! he wants a porsche or bmw z4 now. he's such a sheep, lol! he only wants a porsche because his mate has just got one and well, as for the bmw z4, i reckon its because i said i want one, one day. i have done since i was in college so if he gets one, i wont be happy :grump:

i dont get why people spend alot of money on cars. its just a car! my fella's mate has just spent £30k on a porsche. just think of what you could get for that money! it just seems silly! also, a girl who i work with bought a vauxhall tigra last year and she's going to be paying back £220 for another 4 years or something? whattttt?

im looking at buying my first car soon, a ford ka or something and its going to be better than all these other expensive pieces of metal :p infact, its going to be AMAZING! brum brum!

sorry. ive not really replied like i should have done, ah well :razz:
  • Options
    It's just a car to you.

Men don't typically understand the attractions of £500 handbags, nor a vast collection of shoes... ;)
  • Options
    It's just a car to you.

Men don't typically understand the attractions of £500 handbags, nor a vast collection of shoes... ;)

this is the height of true, i don't understand the absolute obsession my BF has over his Astra vxr (other than it's costing a stupid amount on finance so i wouldn't want to wreck it) and he doesn't understand why i have so many shoes and still get more. I accidently slipped getting out the car the other day and he went a bit crazy that i might have damaged the door! I hope he is that worried over our kids when we have them, lol!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Car I always wanted (and came very close to buying a couple of years back) is a Lancia Delta Integrale. Took for a test drive and was blown away.

I hate new cars.
    Weekender Offender