Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Handwritten Applications...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, :)

theres a job posted in the local paper for a optical assistant at a optometrists local to me. it sounds like something i want to do so im going to go for it.

the only thing is it says 'Handwritten Applications Only'
what does this mean and how would i go about it? Do they just mean a handwritten cover letter and would the appreciate it if i attatched my CV? Also, i dont trust the mail, would it give a good or bad impression of i hand delivered it?

cheers guys, i would really appreciate any speedy feedback as the deadline is Tuesday

Ri
xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My understanding is that the whole thing should be handwritten. This could be for a couple of reasons:

1. to make sure you are a candidate who actually reads instructions carefully and doesn't do simply what they expect to have been written.

2. to check you have legible hand writing (e.g. for patient notes)

It is quite unusual to specify that with such a large proportion of jobs being dominated by computers nowadays, but if it says so follow what they say.

Hand delivery would certainly not jeapordise your application being considered
    i'd say handwrite a cover letter and definitely attach a CV too, but do your CV on the computer.

as for hand delivering, i've handed speculative CVs in before but always post applications just because you never know if the person you hand it to will give it to the right person. a properly addressed envelope put in the post probably stands a better chance.

for a couple of important jobs where i've had to sent samples of work, i've sent it recorded delivery for my own peace of mind, but probably not necessary really.
    thanks guys

i should have elaborated really, the reason i'm asking about hand delivery is that i have dreadlocks and i dont want them to make a character assumption of me because of it.
    if i mail it at least they cant judge me before they consider me, should this be a problem?