Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student accomodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right,

I'm now 23, I didn't go to Uni when I was younger for various reasons but now I have applied to go this September. I've just received an offer from my first choice which I am thrilled to bits about.

When I applied I said I'd live at home as I was living near the Uni with my boyfriend but now I've left him I'm about 120 miles away back with mummy, so I am going to need student accomodation.

How do I go about looking for it? Will the University still be able to help me? And when do I apply for a student loan to pay for it all? I'm not really 100% on how it all works, though I have tried to do my own research.

Thanks in advance
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You need to apply for your loan now really. Mine was supposedly done late and I submitted it a few weeks ago.

I'd give your uni a call and see what they can do. You won't get into your first choice now but they should be able to do something.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    You need to apply for your loan now really. Mine was supposedly done late and I submitted it a few weeks ago.

UCAS won't let me reply to the offer yet, will I still qualify for a loan even though I haven't accepted?
    I'd give your uni a call and see what they can do. You won't get into your first choice now but they should be able to do something.

Sorry I'm being thick but do you mean I won't be able to study anyway and that I'll have to throw out my plans?
  • Options
    You should do. Most people apply for funding before they've got their results and so before they're 100% certain that's where they're going.

And no, I mean you won't get into your first choice of accommodation. E.g. if you were to choose the better quality housing you wouldn't get a room there because it'll be full. Best thing to do is to call them and ask which places still have rooms available.
  • Options
    You should do. Most people apply for funding before they've got their results and so before they're 100% certain that's where they're going.

And no, I mean you won't get into your first choice of accommodation. E.g. if you were to choose the better quality housing you wouldn't get a room there because it'll be full. Best thing to do is to call them and ask which places still have rooms available.

Ah, thanks for the advice and thanks for not banging me over the head :blush: will now go loan-acquiring.
  • Options
    you might be alright with accommodation, when i applied a few years ago i couldnt pick any accommodation until results day.
  • Options
    Apply for your loan now, its tied into UCAS so it usually copes fine, you just put in your first choice as university.

You may have already applied for student finance even if you didn't want a loan, in which case you need to update that application. If you haven't then you need to go through the whole application process from scratch.

As for accomodation, get in touch with the uni, they'll be able to help you sort something out. It's worth thinking about mentioning that you're a mature student, they may have separate accomodation than for those straight out of school.
  • Options
    Well I just completed the online loan application with Student Finance and posted off some payslips to them for evidence.

I'll give the University a call tomorrow :)
  • Options
    don't panic about your loan, i did mine in August every year - they said expect to get the maintance money a few weeks late, but it was still always on time beginning of september
  • Options
    You don't need to panic as such, but I would strongly advise you to save up as much as you can before you start. I don't expect loan payments to arrive on time and nor do many of my colleagues.

The system has changed this year for new applicants. In previous years you applied to your local authority, now it has been centralised through Student Finance England (SFE) in Darlington. SFE honestly couldn't run a bath and if they can screw it up they will screw it up. I'm expecting there to be a lot of students in October whose money hasn't turned up, even if they've applied on time.

If that does happen then your University can help out, they have hardship procedures in place, so don't worry too much.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The system has changed this year for new applicants. In previous years you applied to your local authority, now it has been centralised through Student Finance England (SFE) in Darlington. SFE honestly couldn't run a bath and if they can screw it up they will screw it up. I'm expecting there to be a lot of students in October whose money hasn't turned up, even if they've applied on time.

Just a word of warning - they are bloody useless. I requested a form (not loans; something else) in March and had to request it a further 2 times before it finally turned up.:rolleyes: When I requested it the second time, they checked to see if my address was correct - which it was, as I'd managed to receive other stuff from them.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Just a word of warning - they are bloody useless. I requested a form (not loans; something else) in March and had to request it a further 2 times before it finally turned up.:rolleyes: When I requested it the second time, they checked to see if my address was correct - which it was, as I'd managed to receive other stuff from them.
    They were useless when I was at uni, and the website used to break all the time. The new one doesn't look great either.
  • Options
    I applied for accommodation after A Level results, finance the same, because I'd been due to take a gap year and changed my mind. I still got money and a roof :)

One word of caution about student accommodation. You may want to request to be in a postgraduate hall, even though you're an undergraduate, if you think that the drunken first-time-away-from-home 18 year olds will get on your tits.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

Agreed. Bloody useless. They "lost" 2 of my forms once and never replied to one of them!

Don't just rely on the loan either. Like Kermit says, try and save as much as you can before hand.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I applied for accommodation after A Level results, finance the same, because I'd been due to take a gap year and changed my mind. I still got money and a roof :)

One word of caution about student accommodation. You may want to request to be in a postgraduate hall, even though you're an undergraduate, if you think that the drunken first-time-away-from-home 18 year olds will get on your tits.
    i second this! i was put in the post grad building, but in an undergrad flat...it was hell...
  • Options
    alternatively you could look on websites such as roombuddies.com or suchlike, lots of students advertise spare rooms in house shares on these websites and it gives you a chance to be more picky... ie if you wanted to live with post grad students your own age etc etc.

i had to do this and found them pretty good.
  • Options
    I always apply for my funding terribly late, and touch wood I've not had it refused so far.

As for accomodation they should still fit you in, make a story about homelessness etc. they do have an obligation to house you. Though it may be morally bankrupt if you have any other issues I would throw them in as well, I got screwed over twice for accomodation because I'm a healthy guy with no issues so they bunged me in essentially overflow accomodation and it was shite.

If you have any serious medical issues definitely disclose them even if you don't think they affect you as it could give you an edge in getting better suited accomodation.