Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Self-help books

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

I am in need of an inspirational read. I heard Jane Mcdonald say she uses a self-help book which helped her though a tough time in her life and still uses this book whenever she needs a pick me up. Unfortunately she did not give away the title of the book.

Just wondering if anyone out there has used one? did it help you? or just to recommend one would be useful.

Thanks for all the help :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kind of depends what help you need. There are loads of self help books on different topics.
    Thank you for the quick response.

To be honest one that covers a number of topics would be good. Such as confidence, relationships, work and generally helping to figure out what you want to do.

Sorry it's a bit vague. I am in a loving relationship but have general confidence issues. I am stuck in a job I hate but have no idea what I want to do with my life.

Just need some inspiration and then can start focusing on the bits I want to change in my life. Thought a self-help book my be a good starting point.
    Shameless plug, but a friend of mine wrote Taming Tigers (although the people who have read the book say that it's like the antedote to all self-help books out there :D )

http://www.tamingtigers.com/site/jim.cfm?page=welcome

You don't have to buy his book; he has a blog, a facebook page and lots of video clips which may inspire you, so there's plenty of material to sample. For a bit of background, he went from being a corporate lawyer to an amateur jockey within a year because someone bet him a £1 that he couldn't.
    Motivational self help books take a lot of time telling you in very fancy language to get off your ass and do what needs to be done. Winners do what needs to be done in order to achieve their goals, losers do not. You are a winner because it beats the alternative, you will do what needs to be done in order to achieve your goals because not doing so means you will not achieve your goals. If you do not have goals you will look at the difference between how your life now and how you would like it to be, then you will have goals. Feel inspired?

Getting a self help book is really an act of laziness in itself, because you're looking to an external force for motivation and motivation doesn't work that way. The only way to get motivated is to start doing things, then look at what you are achieving.