Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

$80,000 per song

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what do you guys think?

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6534542.ece

Seems kind of excessive to me

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course it's excessive. It's America. The entire legal system is designed for huge companies to be able to fuck over ordinary people. The same legal system they try to bully other countries into accepting to protect their obscene profits.
    When you read stuff like this, it makes you feel sick to the core that EMI and Sony are going tits up. It makes me feel so depressed that the EMI executives responsible for this will be jobless soon.
    I'm sure the record companies have no intention of squeezing her for that much money BUT they're probably over the moon with the figure - set a precedent - the jury were probably given free walkmans .. :chin:

I have no idea how they came up with such a figure - maybe someone will stump up the cash to appeal.
    It's hard to believe a judge with any sense of decency would give that kind of judgement. Shocking.
    Is it really surprising coming from the country which justice system comes up with obscene shit like this?

class6.png

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/blog2/254
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Is it really surprising coming from the country which justice system comes up with obscene shit like this?

class6.png

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/blog2/254

The homeless man might have been caught out by some State's 3 strikes and you're out rule - i.e. a minimum of 15 years cos this is your 3rd offense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_strikes_law

maybe the guy wanted to go to prison? if he's homeless then prison might be an appealing alternative, he'll be housed, and fed everyday. Maybe that's why he returned the money .. who knows?
    Though perhaps the '3 strikes and you're out' policy is an abomination in itself, and a sign of how wrong the US justice system is.

All I know is that it is disgraceful that a homeless man who steals $100, then voluntarily returns the money and surrender to the police gets 15 years. And doubly disgraceful that a man who steals $500m gets four years.

As I'm with Stupid pointed out above, the whole system seems geared to favour the rich. Two-tier justice indeed.
    According to another website's version of this story, she downloaded and shared songs such as "Somebody" by Bryan Adams, "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan, and "Let's Wait A While" by Janet Jackson. In that case, she should be prosecuted for having such dire taste in music.

On a more serious note, I can't say I have much of a problem with this. File-sharing copyrighted material is illegal, and people should know just how risky it really is. Although groups like the Recording Industry Association of America would do themselves a favour by trying to make buying music legally online as easy and practical as possible. That means no longer releasing songs just via the ghastly iTunes, no more of these territory restrictions, no more useless DRM technology...
    I suppose it is because americans like to do things in a big way....it does seem a bit hefty but that again is america for you....only they sue each other....and I am sure maybe it is to just get media attention...they like to be big drama queens....also america is as corrupt as can be!
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    According to another website's version of this story, she downloaded and shared songs such as "Somebody" by Bryan Adams, "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan, and "Let's Wait A While" by Janet Jackson. In that case, she should be prosecuted for having such dire taste in music.

On a more serious note, I can't say I have much of a problem with this. File-sharing copyrighted material is illegal, and people should know just how risky it really is. Although groups like the Recording Industry Association of America would do themselves a favour by trying to make buying music legally online as easy and practical as possible. That means no longer releasing songs just via the ghastly iTunes, no more of these territory restrictions, no more useless DRM technology...
    You don't think the punishment is way too excessive though?

Downloading a few songs isn't exactly cleaning up Fort Knox. Unless the woman in question is a millionaire, the sentence handed out will mean financial ruination, loss of her home, possessions, etc. Why not go all the way and burn her at the stake while they're at it?

Imagine if you were fined a million quid for, say, breaking the speed limit in your car. Fair do?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You don't think the punishment is way too excessive though?
    The fine in question has been set at an absolutely ridiculous level. As far as the RIAA are concerned, this is a total PR disaster for them.
    It proves why juries shouldn't be allowed to set punishments, that's all I can say.

Of course, if she'd just listened to Spotify she'd be fine.
    Of course it's excessive. It's America. The entire legal system is designed for huge companies to be able to fuck over ordinary people. The same legal system they try to bully other countries into accepting to protect their obscene profits.

this is horrible!
    DG wrote: »
    The homeless man might have been caught out by some State's 3 strikes and you're out rule - i.e. a minimum of 15 years cos this is your 3rd offense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_strikes_law

He went away for armed robbery iirc. They have strict guidlines for sentances so cant really take circumstances into consideration.