Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Worried about prom

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey,

I know this sounds really weird, but I have my school prom next Tuesday and I have really been looking forward to it, but I really dont want to be dissapointed by it. Its just I have spoken to some other people and they say that their proms have all been really good, but they have all had boyfriends or girlfriends to go with, and I dont have anyone.

Has anyone been dissapointed by a prom before, or are they generally good?

:confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Don't hype it up, infact, go there thinking it'll be shit. It's the only way to not be dissapointed when it doesn't live up to your expectations.
  • Options
    My friends went to their school prom together (a bunch of girls) and had a great time! (possibly because they were prom organisers and spiked the punch :p ... it was 6th form prom thou)
  • Options
    I'd rather have no girlfriend and make a tit out of myself with my friends. I had always a blast that way.
  • Options
    I had a boyfriend for my prom but he didn't come with me, cause we werent allowed to bring dates and even if we were, he probably wouldn't have wanted to come, for me it was just a night of messing about with my girly mates. Just treat it like a night out, except you are all wearing really fancy dresses lol
  • Options
    I have mine soon too! I was going with a friend but then he confessed that he wanted to be more than friends and we havent been talking, so I think I'm going on my own too but it doesn't matter, I'm just going to see my friends and have a dance and have fun. Enjoy your prom! :wave:
  • Options
    Both my proms have been pretty crappy, but it could be cause the first one in Y11 we weren't aloud to bring dates and I missed my BF, but the second one was last week for Y12 and the people I would have liked to be there weren't cause they aren't at my school. Plus proms just aren't my thing. However most people over here complain about them, the best bit is getting to, from and the after party. The schools here fail at organising cause we aren't aloud them at schools cause the ministry of education CBA with the paperwork for insurance and what not. So we have to have them in fancy hotels so the whole thing ends up costing an arm and a leg and really isn't worth the hassel. However my friends in the UK & US have all said their proms have been a right laugh. Who needs a BF when you can mess about with your friends and look stunning on the night!!!

<3
  • Options
    Kids these days...

1) Don't spend a king's ransom on the outfit
    2) Don't expect too much of it (it's a school prom for fuck's sake, not the ambassador's reception and actually, in my experience, ambassadors' receptions are fairly average, though they do ply you with Ferrero Rocher)
    3) Whatever you do, don't hire a limo. Nothing screams I'm a totally classless gutter chav than a limousine.

Basically, just don't follow this girl's example:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Teenager-barred-from-prom-.5248133.jp
  • Options
    I am in total agreement with Thunderstruck.

Growing up in Dubai I have been in my fair share of Limos, and it is really the most boring experience of my life, you have more fun in squeezed in the back of a wrangler with a bunch of your best mates, that's how I got to prom this year =] Just don't let the driver attempt to fly off the speedbumps when you're in heels...it hurts =[

lol
  • Options
    i'll be honest with you, my prom was pretty shit, i had no money so bought a dress for £30 - it was a beautiful velvet and silk vintage dress with polka dots on it, i didn't have limo like the rest of the kids, i had to beg a lift off an older friend with a car, the music was crap, as was the food, and i didn't even have a friend to go with, and we weren't allowed to bring in non school girlfriends/boyfriends. I got called cruella d'evil all night because of my dress, and just sat there talking to my physic teacher about acoustics and music...

proms are MAJORLY hyped. they are normally an excuse for the popular prissy girls to make themselves look like whores and for the ones that didn't quite fit in to be made to feel even more like an outsider.

don't worry about it, its likely to be crap and no one will ever remember what happened there mainly because they'll all get smashed afterwards and half of them will end up in A&E getting their stomach pumped...
  • Options
    Don't worry about not having a partner to take. I went to 3 proms and only one of those did I even have a boyfriend. We couldn't bring partners from outside the school but even if we could, I don't think I would've taken him.

For me they were a chance to have one last get together and say goodbye to people who were leaving who I might not see again for a long time, if ever. My boyfriend didn't really have a place there to be honest as they were the people I had gone to school with for years, not him.

My first 2 were kind of mediocre, the music was kind of chart stuff that I wasn't really into but there was a good selection of food and at my first one the teachers made a fruit punch in lieu of alcohol which was good. My last one was really really good but I have to say I'm probably slightly biased as I was one of the people on the 6th form committee who organised it and we booked a DJ who had done one of our mate's 18th birthdays so he played a real mix of songs that most people would dance to rather than the usual r'n'b and bhangra stuff you tended to get at my school. Having said this, the head of 6th form reckoned it was the best prom they'd ever had, so job well done.

I guess my advice is don't take it too seriously. Go with your friends, dance like an idiot and enjoy being able to say goodbye to people properly rather than being joined at the mouth to some fool who'll probably chuck you in a few months anyway!

I've just realised that your prom was last night if I've read this correctly, hope it went well!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I just had my prom yesterday and you guys were right it was way more fun going with my friends. And yes it was pretty average and kind of boring but hey the dancing was fun :)
  • Options
    We never had a prom at my skool - I wanna go ... :)