Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stomach problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the last month or so I've been having a lot of problems with my stomach. I've been having problems with my bowel movements which seem to vary between the runs and constipation with no kind of inbetween and there has been some blood. I also feel nauseous a lot and have thrown up last week for no apparent reason. Whenever I eat anything I feel like I'm going to throw it back up.

I saw my GP 2 weeks ago and she said it was due to stress because I had my exams and was having a bad patch. It has continued since then and I have been put on ADs which I know can upset you. I saw my GP again today and they have booked me in for a blood test on Monday to see if that sheds any light. I went to work today and was feeling fine until I had lunch when I felt tingly, lightheaded and felt I was going to be sick. I ended up having to be sent home and my uncle came to collect me. It's making things tricky for me at work as I called in sick last week, was sent home today and I am meant to be working tomorrow and my dad is the head office manager. He doesn't seem to understand that I'm not well and he thinks it's because I went out last night but all I had was a couple of pints down the pub and he picked me up at 11 and could see I was perfectly fine. I don't want to make things awkward at work but I wasn't well enough to stay at work, considering I wasn't due to finish until 9:30.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this kind of upset to their digestive system and what was it? And no, I'm pretty damn sure I'm not pregnant.

Comments

• Options
    My stomach throws hissy fits for no apparent reason from time to time, only thing for it seems to be a dull life for a fortnight. Plain and boring food, no alcohol, stay away from dairy products and things seemed to settle down.
  • Options
    No dairy products could be interesting. I'm a vegetarian so I eat a lot of dairy products. You may have a point though, I felt ok earlier until I ate a cheese and onion pasty and had a cup of tea.

Mmmm.

And my dad thinks nothing is wrong with me...
  • Options
    U cud av iritible bowl syndrome dairy will play a big role what do u drink list al drinks U need 2 eliminate processed food to.
  • Options
    Er...varies on a day to day basis. Today I've drunk tea, fruit juice and water.

Yesterday I had lemonade, orange juice, cider and water.

After that, I don't know!

With food, I do end up eating a lot of rubbish at work as we have a microwave and a kettle and I work from 12-9:30 so I tend to have 2 meals there. At home things are generally better.

Don't think I've got IBS...I don't know too much about it, but I was told by someone who does have it that they couldn't take ibuprofen because of it and I'm fine with the stuff. I could well be wrong though.
  • Options
    R u bloated much n how's ur general moods do u use sweetners in yr tee
  • Options
    Been a bit bloated but I normally get that at that time of the month lol. No sweetners and no sugar, just a bit of milk in my tea. My moods are a bit funny but that's for other reasons, not food related, I can assure you of that!
  • Options
    Haha.......
    u mite be sensertive to MSG n aspartate
    MSG is a flavour enhancer an aspartate is a sweetner the both in jus about all foods these days I'm sensertive to them the corse loads of adverse effects especially emotional up n down moods n stress.. at work do u av microwave meals n fizzy pop especially diet pops contain aspartate. U may av a wheat intolarance to try drinking cider nxt time ur out.
  • Options
    Dairy products aren't great for fragile stomachs, so if you're not feeling great then it's usually best to avoid them.

Fruit juice also has a kind of laxative effect in large quantities, and in small quantities on delicate stomachs so again best avoided if that's the issue at the time.
  • Options

Don't think I've got IBS...I don't know too much about it, but I was told by someone who does have it that they couldn't take ibuprofen because of it and I'm fine with the stuff. I could well be wrong though.

You can take it. I have IBS and am fine taking Ibuprofen. Alot of people don't like taking it or can't take it due to things like gastro oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) which is a reflux of acid from the stomach as Ibuprofen aggrevates the sypmtoms!
  • Options
    Dairy products aren't great for fragile stomachs, so if you're not feeling great then it's usually best to avoid them.

:yes:

I read somewhere that everyone becomes temporarily lactose-intolerant while (and for a little bit after) they're got an upset stomach. The lining of your gut becomes a bit inflamed, and inflammation + milk = :sour:

piecesofme is right about the ibuprofen, too. It irritates the stomach, so you shouldn't take it if you have a history of stomach ulcers, and it can worsen indigestion/reflux symptoms, but most people with IBS are totally fine on it.

I also wouldn't underestimate the influence that stress and depression can have on your guts - even when you don't feel that bad. It could well just be that. I'm never off the toilet when I'm stressed!
  • Options
    My mum suffers from wheat intolerance....the bloated stomache, runs, uncomfortable, and the same symptoms as you are describing. Not a doctor....but you could when you are next at your Gp ask about wheat intolerance...that means anything with wheat in it.

Bread, cakes, pizza, gravy, crisps....etc. Or you could try a small test at home....just see what happens when you next eat something with wheat.
    You will be surprised what foods wheat is found.
  • Options
    I too suffer with all the same stuff! really terrible - I have IBS and I still take ibuprofen! It gets worse when I am stressed or if I eat too much crap - and also gets very painful if I hold in my windypops! (luckily I have understanding friends and family!)

I mostly get diahorrhea (however you spell it) but occasionally constipation too - it gets so bad sometimes I actually bleed down there and get alot of mucas (which was scary the first time, thought something was seriously wrong!) So I really feel for you and understand!

I have 2 suggestions that have REALLY helped me - I don't eat whole fruit very much anymore, I just get very bad problems from the digestion of it - I make smoothies now, 1 a day! the blending of fruit breaks the enzymes down and makes them much easier to 'handle'

Also - and I swear by it - I buy this stuff (that my fiance affectionally named 'poopjuice'!) called regucol from holland and barrett but I think most Health Food shops do a similar thing. It's basically psyllium husks which expand as you drink it and you dont digest them - they go straight through and keep you very regular and clean... Not very nice to drink, tbh but it's worth the short drink to anyone with stomach / digestion issues - it is far cheaper than the fibresure stuff and better in my opinion! It also has the good bacteria stuff thats supposed to be good for you too. Give it a go! And don't worry about the bleeding, if you have been going to the toilet alot you get tears and stuff (first hand experience) is it bright red blood? I think you only need to be worried if its old blood (i.e - black) cause then it's further inside, but you will know from your blood test anyway - but seriously - its a common side effect from toilet issues; tears and strains and even piles! It's all fun and games isn't it? (not!)

Hope this helps, good luck! xx
  • Options
    Hi y don't you read of my thread road to recovery degenerative disoroders don't get beta on there own u jus av 2 look at when u first needed help 2 how u r tday These chimicals affect the reuptake of seratoning an so on drugs are a chemical compound used to reuptake such chemicals eliminate the true cause an the rest takes after itself.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the responses.

Went to work yesterday and had the same lunch and was ok, which was weird.

Woke up this morning and I can't say that my bowels movements were on the pleasant side. It does seem a little odd how I can eat something one day and feel really sick and eat the same thing from the same packet the next day and feel ok. Obviously it could be what made me funny this morning but I'm guessing that it was more likely my dinner.

I didn't realise about the ibuprofen, that was just what I was told by somebody else. Not that I take the stuff anyway due to my other problem.

My parents are stressing out and want me to pull out of my year abroad (it's not until next Summer) as they're worried about all my health problems. I have to say, I do think I've been a tad unlucky this year having all the problems I have. I guess all we can do is wait and see what the tests say and see what's wrong with me before we can decide whether I'm well enough to go or not.

One more thing, sorry to be a pain, but how can I avoid dairy products? Probably being really stupid here but I find as a vegetarian that a lot of products contain milk or cheese, is there a way of doing this without really turning my diet upside down?
  • Options
    Avoiding dairy can be hard but good alternatives to milk are things like soya and oat milk. Oat milk is suprisingly nice as well as rice milk! They have quite a sweet taste so are really good for cereals. Though I'm not so keen on them in tea :no:

You can get dairy free butter/spread too such as olive oil spread. I've seen it in Tesco and Holland & Barretes.

For cheese maybe try goats cheeps for a little bit and see if that has the same effect!
  • Options
    I like goats cheese! :heart:

My dad does the shopping and has a tendency to not buy what we actually need, more what he fancies/is on special. There have been times when he's forgotten I'm home and there's not been any veggie food in the house :(

I will see if I can get him to buy any of those things.

He bought a mini Indian selection last week which he keeps trying to get me to eat, I don't think it's a good idea to be honest though!
  • Options
    Just make him feel a bit guilty, I'd do that, and say if you want me to feel better then I really need this, this and this ;)

If not could you not go along with him or go yourself and say can you do your side of the shopping?
  • Options
    Could do, tend to avoid shopping with my dad as he moans about everything. When I do my back to uni shop, I go with my mum as she buys stuff she knows I need and will eat rather than whatever's on special lol.
  • Options
    Just an update, my blood is 'ok'.

Clearly I just have a strange body lol.
  • Options
    ADs are well known to cause stomach problems, and i saw another thread you said you were taking prozac which is one of the worst for tummy troubles - as is citalopram - i was violently sick all night long.

having depression and being stressed out can cause you to get IBS, and the fact you have blood in your stools is very likely to mean you have haemoroids - which as very common in people who are going through stressful periods. It also common for people to develop allergies when going through depression, so getting allergy tested might be an idea - but possibly not essential.

Also drinking more than 2 glasses on ADs is really a bad idea, not only because it can completely mess your mood around, but it can cause quite bad tummy reactions. i had 4 dilute drinks last night and was still up most of the night with trouble...many of my friends of ADs have similar problems. Plus drinking too much is a bad idea regardless if you are taking ADs or not when you have depression - its only going to make you feel worse....
  • Options
    Yeah, I know drinking too much is a bad idea, but since I've been back home I've bumped into so many old friends who keep buying me drinks (I know I could say no, but a free drink isn't to be sneered at!) but in all fairness, the worst people for getting me obscenely drunk are my own family.

I know ADs and stress can cause you to go a bit funny but I've had some pretty horrible episodes before I was on them, before I had my exams and when I was sober. I don't know. I guess I should deal with the urinating blood first because that's gone on for longer and worry about this later...

If it continues, I'll have an allergy test. If nothing else, it might explain my rashes.
  • Options
    if your family aren't helping its possibly because they don't know how. when i had my breakdown i had to sit down with my friends and tell them what i needed in order to get better. i think you need to do that with your friends and family too.
  • Options
    One of my close friends has been very helpful. She's been through a similar situation so she can at least empathise. My family are lovely but they have that kind of old fashioned 'other people have problems, not us' kind of mentality. Everything can be solved by a cup of tea, a strong drink and good sleep in their eyes. I guess the thing is, I don't really know what I want or need. Somedays I'm more than happy to go out with my old mates and do things with them, other times I'm happy just to sit downstairs and watch sports on tv with my dad, other times I'd rather not see anybody and just want to hide away in my room with a book like I'm 15again.

Just realised this is kind of becoming a ramble about how I have trouble connecting with people rather than about my stomach. I don't know. Somedays I don't even want to eat my favourite food because the taste just makes me want to be sick. Or maybe it's the memories the food conjures up. Could be. There were certain foods I wouldn't eat until a couple of years ago because I remembered having them with my Grandad before he died.

Separate topic, I know, but is it just me or does my ability to remember almost everything have a really bad effect on me?