Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

counselling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
got an appointment with uni counsellor in an hour, am terrified, am getting really panicy. havn't had a counselling session for two years and I went through 3 counsellors in a year, they were awful and I really really hate talking about my feelings and stuff.

Comments

• Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Hey,

Please don't panic - as I'm sure you are aware, these sessions are purely to help you, so remember you can conduct them on your own terms. Saying 'I'm sorry, I'm not ready to talk about that yet' is perfectly reasonable.

Plus, every professional has got a different approach, so there's no reason why you shouldn't get on with this one because you had bad experiences with the others. In fact, letting the uni counsellor know about that and discussing why it hasn't worked before might be a good place to start.

If you have any more specific worries they might be addressed by these FAQ about student counselling.

The important thing is that you've had the courage to seek help and change your situation. It's a brave thing to do in itself, so don't beat yourself up if you don't immediately open up. Just enjoy the chance to be selfish, it's a bit of a luxury to talk about yourself for an hour and say all the things you can't say to anyone else...

Good luck!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    counselling session actually went ok, the guy was really nice and he wasnt like the counsellors i have had before, so am going to go back and see him again.
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Oh cool, I'm really glad to hear it!