Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Issues with little brother

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a little brother who's 6.. he's my only sibling.

He's always been a bit of a brat but recently he's really become unbearable. I know this is probably normal for kids his age but he's extremely mouthy (and I know a fair few mouthy kids but he's something else), has an answer for everything and constantly winds up my mum.

It's been causing loads of tension in the house recently and my mum is starting to think he has a behavior problem.

He doesn't seem to understand when he's in trouble, even though my mum grounds him, takes away his computer games and doesn't give him treats when he's naughty. It's like if you tell him not to do something he'll go out and do it anyway then he'll give you flat out abuse when you tell him off for it.

For example, he plays with some kids next door and they kept climbing on the shed roof. Naturally my mum told them all to get down in case they hurt themselves and the kids stopped apart from my brother.. he kept climbing up on it continuously and in the end my mum ordered him inside because he wasn't listening.

When he was indoors he kicked off, screaming and having a headfit and really couldn't understand why he was grounded even though it was explained to him 20 times. Even now when he goes in the garden he still climbs on the roof and the same thing happens over and over. That's only one example, but this sort of thing happens with nearly everything.

He always has to make a scene and constantly craves attention, even if it's negative by being cheeky.

The other day he went out with the kids next door and their mum & dad for a bike ride. They went to the park which is about half a mile away and then he disappeared.. he cycled all the way back home past loads of busy roads on his own. Obviously they panicked and went out looking for him for hours, we didn't know until they knocked on the door. We assumed they just went back in their house and my brother came back to ours when they finished.

My mum then explained that he'd ruined it for himself and they aren't going to take him out with them again, the only problem was she had to explain it to him for about half an hour and he still didn't get why he was in trouble. I hate talking about my brother this way because on the rare occasions that he's good he's a sound little boy.. but he's just a constant fucker 95% of the time and what my mum said about him maybe having a 'problem' is playing on my mind.

I'm not very good at explaining and the stuff I've chucked down here is only scratching the surface very slightly. Basically he's being such a nasty kid that it's getting to the point where I don't really want to be in the same room as him and I think my mum is feeling the same.

My stepdad kind of sits back and watches it all, although he does tell him off when he does something or gets cheeky. My mum basically does most of the discipline work.

I'm just wondering if any parents/people with siblings/people that know anything about behaviour problems could give me advice? He's not a thick kid, he does well in school but it's almost as if he has zero common sense mixed with an acid tongue.

Sorry for the essay.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    talk to your stepdad, and is he your brothers dad or stepdad as well
    because if he's his dad then it would most likly help if he did more displine work, from what you've said he does very little, i would say that even applys to him if he's your brothers stepdad as well

i'm guessing your a guy, so another thing you could try is both you and your stepdad being positive male role models, it sounds like to me that he doesn't really have someone to look up or you could try giving him some positive attention like having a kick about in the garden and saying "aw mate you played really well, lets do it again if your good for the rest of the day" or something similar

just my opinon really, hope it helps