Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gap in tooth (solution?)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My son is 9 months and his two top teeth coming through are seperated by a gap and its really upsetting thinking hell always have that, my partners family have it so its come from there... Does anyone know if theres anything a dentist can do to close the gap? :(

Thanks
:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    But these are just his baby teeth, right? Surely you don't need to worry or do anything about it until he gets his adult teeth?

But yeah, if the same thing happens with his adult teeth, that's what braces are for.
  • Options
    Yeah these are just baby teeth, im just worried if he had the same gap once his adults came through, so if braces can close it a bit thats good to know...

Although its not devastating im so happy hes healthy anyway, it was just a concern.

Thanks for your reply.
    :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It's not something to worry about, particularly now. Many babies have gaps in their teeth. Once he has his adult teeth, the gap may disappear. If not, then there are solutions. As you say, it is not devastating. And I don't think it should even be a concern at the moment. Make it a concern if *he* makes it a concern. At the end of the day, it is just cosmetic. Try not to worry about it. Particularly now.
  • Options
    Make it a concern if *he* makes it a concern.

your absolutely right, i was thinking more that it would be a problem for me if i was him, but it wont neccessarily be a problem for him.

Thanks, it has helped :)
  • Options
    i wouldn't really worry about it...he's 9 months old and his baby teeth will fall out anyway!!!

i used to have a MASSIVE gap inbetween my top two front teeth...could fit straws through it and everything :razz: i had braces put in though for 2/3 years. the gap is completely gone now.

i wouldn't worry about it. even if the gap does stay, theres the options of braces and believe me, they work! my gap was massive!
  • Options
    Madonna has a gap in her front teeth and it's never done her any harm!

I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    its too early to say if it will be permanant.
  • Options
    My two front teeth were gapped till I was about 15! I had a bit of overcrowding on the top too, so thank god for the gap! Once my top wisdom teeth came down, the front gap was pushed closed & the overcrowding was sorted without needing braces!
  • Options
    I have a gap in my front teeth and while sometimes I loathe it I know that it makes me different.

This, however, is largely because I was refused braces as a kid and am now too poor to have them :(.