Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

cards getting rejected but i don't know why?

tried to pay off my electricity bill for my old flat last week with my natwest card.

the payment didn't come out of my account so i gave them a ring.

my card was rejected. they couldn't tell me why. i have no idea either because theres lots of money in this account!

sooooo i paid with halifax card. the money off this card still hasn't come out and surely it would appear on my account by now? its been a few days and it should have AT LEAST come out of my available balance. again theres money in this account so i don't know why they have rejected it which they clearly have.

could it be that my bank address is different to the one on the electricity bill? if this is the case, im NEVER going to be able to pay it off.

they won't even tell me why its being rejected because of the "data protection act" :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Call your bank,

NOT all the time its the bank/cards fault, our PoS machines reject everything that goes through or even just a random card for no reason and the machines need to be reset. other than that, im not to sure, best to call the bank, have you used them else where n they work?
    That happened to me with British Gas back in February. My card was rejected although my card remained live with Tesco, Argos and various cash points. In the end, I paid over the phone but was still able to use the same card. 3 months later (May 09), my card decided to work with British Gas again.
    More importantly, why are you STILL paying bills for your old place?
    mmmm, well i rang up today and my other card has been rejected. theres nothing wrong with my bank cards, they are working everywhere else and it just seems weird they have BOTH been rejected. i have plenty of money in both bank accounts.

i did a instant bank transfer before so they should have the money now but it will probably take a few days before they apply it to the account.

annoying :|
    They arent out of date are they?
    no they aren't. they are fairly new actually and like i said, ive not had problems anywhere else. i dont even take cash out nowadays, i pay for everything by card!
    My job is to fix card machines over the phone and I see this problem quite often. Sometimes it can be the acquirer that is rejecting it (eg. the middle man between the machine and your bank) or it could be a fault with the machine or it's software. Has your card been working in other places?
    Grrr please tell me your not streamline? Grrrr I hate streamline atm
    they won't even tell me why its being rejected because of the "data protection act" :rolleyes:

Then they're idiots. Data protection means that they can only give information about the account to the account holder. So if it's your card and your bill, they should be able to tell you all about it.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm an EPOS engineer and I'm always having to speak to Streamline and Commidea, it is possible that it'll be a problem with the electricity company's merchant provider but you need to get in touch with your bank and actually speak to somebody as well. If it's a problem with you or your bank they can let you know.
    Weekender Offender 
    yeah basicly streamline are a bunch of Motherfuckers imo