Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How Much will the current iPhone 3G be on O2 PAYG?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've seen some US reports about the current iPhone 3G being only $99 for the 8GB once the newer phone is launched in a few weeks time is that to buy on PAYG or something else?


I wouldn't mind the current iPhone but since I'm not a heavy user would only ever get a PAYG version.

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »

    I wouldn't mind the current iPhone but since I'm not a heavy user would only ever get a PAYG version.

    You'll kill yourself with data charges if you're on PAYG :-/
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    noog wrote: »
    You'll kill yourself with data charges if you're on PAYG :-/

    you get 12 month free data access on O2 PAYG when you buy the phone - question is how much is the current 3G phone when the new one comes out?

    In Oz you can buy the iPhone on at least 3 different networks - their government has laws to stop just one network having a monopoly on the iPhone - if we had the same thing here then the price of the overall package would be so much cheaper for everyone with all of the major networks competing.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They were expecting a second operator to be announced with the launch of the latest iPhone in the UK. Hold your horses and see what happens :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I think there should be one universal European Law that covers this kind of thing. Telecoms is big business around the globe.

    In France there is a law to prevent the networks locking their phone to just their network.

    Germany has some other laws, .. saying O2 is the ONLY network allowed to sell the iPhone in the UK is like saying you can only buy a Ford car from one particular dealer

    I can understand having a bit of a monopoly when the first phone came out but with each generation of phone there should be a new network added to the mix to make things a bit fairer to the consumer.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not too fussed to be honest - I think the deals that are available on the iPhone are more than acceptable. It's not like their tariffs are expensive!

    Don't forget, there is a hell of a lot of work goes into developing operator specific versions of the firmware on the handsets, and unlocking and using them on other networks can cause all kinds of issues - which people then whinge about.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The iPhone doesn't have operator specific firmware though.

    Just a point ;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Eddish wrote: »
    The iPhone doesn't have operator specific firmware though.

    Just a point ;)

    I was referring to handsets in general :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    g_angel wrote: »

    Don't forget, there is a hell of a lot of work goes into developing operator specific versions of the firmware on the handsets, and unlocking and using them on other networks can cause all kinds of issues - which people then whinge about.


    That's not caused by unlocking it to be used on another network it's caused by jailbreaking the phones so you can install whatever software you want without needing to go via iTune Apps Store.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »
    That's not caused by unlocking it to be used on another network it's caused by jailbreaking the phones so you can install whatever software you want without needing to go via iTune Apps Store.

    Perhaps with the iPhone, but otherwise wrong - that is indeed caused by unlocking a handset for use on other networks. Not specifically talking about the iPhone here (unsure how two of you missed this fact), but a lot of operator firmwares are very different from the generic version of the same FW branch. I work in a development environment in the mobile industry (and have done on and off for 9 years now) and I know this for a fact. The Vodafone specific FW requires some rewriting of our code to work on it. Nokia, for example, have to spend a lot of time working on these different versions so that the operators are happy they have what they want on there. Also, the network nodes (gateways etc etc) across the different networks work in different ways - unless that handset and FW is set up on their side correctly, you are likely to have issues.

    It's not just a case of banging a different SIM in if you don't have a generic, or 'vanilla' handset.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    virtually everything the operator adds or disables on a phone is there to drive up their profits.

    I had a motorola phone form Virgin Mobile where they'd disabled the ability to add software to is via the cable or Bluetooth but no problems installing the same software via the virgin mobile network and of course paying their data fee's.

    The iPhone is a total monopoly from start to finish.

    only 1 company allowed to sell it in the UK.

    Apple totally control what software is allowed on their App Store so if you something like Skype they'll let you use it over WiFi but ban it if it allows you to make cheap international calls over the phone operator's network.

    At only point Apple were charing UK users 99p a song and only 99 euro cents to other countries in Europe - back when the euro was worth a lot less.

    Just don't get how they are being allowed to get away with such monopoly abuse.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »
    virtually everything the operator adds or disables on a phone is there to drive up their profits.

    Errr - yes! They're not going to do that just for the hell of it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    g_angel wrote: »
    Errr - yes! They're not going to do that just for the hell of it.

    Wow thanks for showing us all you now how to press the quote button and pointing out the obvious - At least I went to the trouble to give a specific example

    Don't forget if you wanna do a quote just like the big boys in the newspaper do use the three dots "..." and just cut and paste what you're quoting to suite.


    as for the other who aint so quote happy this may be of interest

    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49302556,00.htm?s_cid=15
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »
    Wow thanks for showing us all you now how to press the quote button and pointing out the obvious - At least I went to the trouble to give a specific example

    Don't forget if you wanna do a quote just like the big boys in the newspaper do use the three dots "..." and just cut and paste what you're quoting to suite.


    as for the other who aint so quote happy this may be of interest

    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49302556,00.htm?s_cid=15

    Look, I didn't need to give a specific example. I know all about their revenue generating ideas, and there was no need for me to add another! Why have a second one when you've already provided one?! Indeed, it was an obvious point, but you sounded oh-so-surprised about the fact that it was revenue generating!? A company really isn't going to spend a lot more time and money on their specific versions just for shits and giggles.

    "use the three dots"...?
Sign In or Register to comment.