Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How do you rate jury service?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Soph001 wrote: »
    It depends on your situation I guess. For instance if you're on JSA, you'll continue to get it for 8 weeks. If you're self employed, you should recover any loss of earnings...In theory nobody loses out.

I'm paid a smudge under £21k and my net wage is about £45 per day. If I had children I'd be very very close to losing money on jury service. £21k is not a high wage by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone earning more than about £25,000 per year will lose out, especially if they have children. £61 per day sounds a lot, but not when you're paying for your childcare out of that. And you'll inevitably have to pay for your own subsistence, a fiver a day for food is really low when Crown Court cafeterias charge £2 for a bowl of chips and £2 for a coffee. Although the coffee is normally pretty good, that's still a lot of money!

If you're lucky it's only for a week or two, but what happens if you get called up to a major fraud trial? They can last 10-12 months, they've gone to 18 months before. That's a huge amount of money to lose.

I think that HMCS should be reimbursing your whole expenses right from the very start.

On a random aside, it's harder than ever to get out of it. Solicitors and barristers used to be exempt, but not any more. Last year my father-in-law, a criminal solicitor in a small town, got called up. They made him come for the full week despite the fact he knew either the barrister, the solicitor, the victim or the defendant in every single case!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I think that HMCS should be reimbursing your whole expenses right from the very start.

You do get a subsistence allowance, your travel repaid and childcare allowance although its pretty small from what I remember. They dont pay until the end of your two weeks but if its a longer case then I think they pay you every two weeks. I managed to get all my salary reinbursed but if your run a small business you could lose a lot of money.

I did enjoy doing it, mainly because I hated my temping job at the time. I certainly didnt go back to work on my not at court days.
  • Options
    The subsistence allowance is £5.50 a day. That's really a sandwich, a bowl of chips and a cup of coffee at HMCS cafeteria prices. That has to cover your evening meal too, unless you're lucky enough to live near a crown court.
  • Options
    I'm paid a smudge under £21k and my net wage is about £45 per day. If I had children I'd be very very close to losing money on jury service. £21k is not a high wage by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sorry, how can you be on £21k and earn £45 a day? are you taking your weekly wage /7 or 5 for amount of days you work? because if so I am on £220 per week net (take home pay) which is £44 per day after tax

tbh I think the £60.00 per day is plenty enough to cover wages lost, sustanace, is fair enough, quite low, however if you were at home you'd still have to pay for food out of your wages, so why not out of your allowance.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I'm sorry, how can you be on £21k and earn £45 a day? are you taking your weekly wage /7 or 5 for amount of days you work? because if so I am on £220 per week net (take home pay) which is £44 per day after tax

tbh I think the £60.00 per day is plenty enough to cover wages lost, sustanace, is fair enough, quite low, however if you were at home you'd still have to pay for food out of your wages, so why not out of your allowance.

I have to agree - £21k split over a 52 week year, then into a five day week = £81 a day, gross.

Or, if you want the full breakdown:

Wage Summary Yearly Monthly Weekly
    Gross Pay £21,000.00 £1,750.00 £403.85
    Tax free Allowances £6,475.00 £539.58 £124.52
    Total taxable £14,525.00 £1,210.42 £279.33
    Tax paid £2,905.00 £242.08 £55.87
    National Insurance £1,681.35 £140.11 £32.33
    Total Deductions £4,586.35 £382.20 £88.20
    Net Wage £16,413.65 £1,367.80 £315.65
    Employers NI £1,956.48 £163.04 £37.62

Apologies for the poor formatting of the table.

The important figure being the Net Wage - £315.65

That is £63.13 net per day.

You're earning more than you think, my green friend :)
  • Options
    We'll avoid going into my pay slips too much, but you miss out the SLC repayments...
  • Options
    The subsistence allowance is £5.50 a day. That's really a sandwich, a bowl of chips and a cup of coffee at HMCS cafeteria prices. That has to cover your evening meal too, unless you're lucky enough to live near a crown court.

Some with good food/drink appetite spend money above that
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Some with good food/drink appetite spend money above that

In English?

I think you are actually agreeing with Kermit. He is stating that is isn't a lot of money.
  • Options
    We'll avoid going into my pay slips too much, but you miss out the SLC repayments...
    but it just validates the point that the work allowance covers your salary,

heck if i was on 25k a year i wouldn't mind losing it for a week or two for ourt, i'd be fucking stoked im on 25k a year instead of 15k
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    but it just validates the point that the work allowance covers your salary

If you think I'm on more it proves my point, which is that it doesn't adequately cover expenses. According to g_angel's maths, I'd be £3 a day out of pocket, before having to fork out for childcare, etc. My wage ain't brilliant.

You wouldn't be happy about losing money if you had a mortgage or other loans to pay for. Most people on higher wages have more commitments. It's unacceptable for anyone, on any wage, to be out of pocket on jury service. If HMCS want me to attend, they can bloody well pay for my time.
  • Options
    If you think I'm on more it proves my point, which is that it doesn't adequately cover expenses. According to g_angel's maths, I'd be £3 a day out of pocket, before having to fork out for childcare, etc. My wage ain't brilliant.

You wouldn't be happy about losing money if you had a mortgage or other loans to pay for. Most people on higher wages have more commitments. It's unacceptable for anyone, on any wage, to be out of pocket on jury service. If HMCS want me to attend, they can bloody well pay for my time.

All figures taken from http://www.listentotaxman.com/ :)
  • Options
    You wouldn't be happy about losing money if you had a mortgage or other loans to pay for.

I resent you accusing myself that I know nothing of finances or mortgage and loans, I may be classified as "renting" at present however only a few months ago I had a mortgage to pay, council tax and various loans and still have quite a few of those.

The problem it stems down to is that obviously you earn more your out of pocket, I agree the courts should pay more and "match" your salary, it is not right for someone to lose our, nor gain from the situation.

and I agree they find it rediculous people are "allowed" to be out of pocket for it. I suppose I earn so little all of my expenses would be covered.