Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Myths

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so we all love and know a good myth now and again, whethers its shooting a scotsman with a crossbow, falling out of a plane at 30000 feet and surviving or the son of a gun myth.

curiously I am wondering what is your favourate myth? and do you know whether they are true or not?

My favourate myth was the "fake moonlanding" were people say the moon landings were staged and faked,

I do believe it could have been faked however I find it very hard to.

Yours?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I quite like the one which says we swallow 8 spiders a year in our sleep. Think it was debunked on snopes somewhere.
    Heehee, thats so fake it makes pamula anderson look real :D
    I just remembered a good one,

apprently in toilet blocks/public toilets people always use the last cubicles as they think the first ones are the most used and thus dirtiest, when in actual fact its the last cubicles as most people think that? weird, do you think that?
    Probably let's me sounds like an idiot, but I have my doubts about the 9/11 attack. There are just too many things obviously falsified.

I would never doubt the moonlanding tho. That's rather silly for me.
    but then 9/11 actually happened, moonlandings, the proof CAN be a forgary, 9/11 happened, whos responsable could be a consipiracy, rather than a myth
    Forgot another fave - someone sits on something sharp in a cinema, after the lights come on, there's a note that says, "U now have AIDS."
    Lmao, but could be done, theorecticly, infected needle put on the cushion and osmeone sits on it, pressinng the "infected" blood into them.
    The cheerleader, the American football team, treatment for salt overdose. I won't say anymore :)
    I guess my thing about the myth is that someone would go to the trouble of putting a bloodstained needle and note on a cinema chair :D

But the chance of getting HIV from a needlestick injury is something like 3/1000, so don't worry too much about checking stuff at the Odeon [/pedantic]
    Hmmm easy target, i'll lace your chair in the cinema 334 times, therefore you will have to get it :Mwahahahahaha:
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Hmmm easy target, i'll lace your chair in the cinema 334 times, therefore you will have to get it :Mwahahahahaha:

Bf downloads our movies ;)

I quite like the urban legends about corporate stuff like coca-cola + McDs. I think snopes has a good feature on both.
    but then 9/11 actually happened, moonlandings, the proof CAN be a forgary, 9/11 happened, whos responsable could be a consipiracy, rather than a myth

Oh, so you were speaking whether things really happened or are true. Well there is a lot in Astrophysics. I'm actually experiencing the wikipedia phenomenon about astrophysical stuff and it blows me away every time a new. Some of these things - like the existence of dark matter is so intriguing, yet so unbelievable.
    go_away wrote: »
    Forgot another fave - someone sits on something sharp in a cinema, after the lights come on, there's a note that says, "U now have AIDS."

As a kid I remember a similar one, but it was in the coin return of a public phone and you'd then be addicted to heroin :p
    Ok, so we all love and know a good myth now and again, whethers its shooting a scotsman with a crossbow, falling out of a plane at 30000 feet and surviving or the son of a gun myth.

curiously I am wondering what is your favourate myth? and do you know whether they are true or not?

My favourate myth was the "fake moonlanding" were people say the moon landings were staged and faked,

I do believe it could have been faked however I find it very hard to.

Yours?

My great grandma didn't believe the moon landing happened. In all seriousness she said 'nah, they'll've gone to a planet and filmed it there.' :confused: She was a little strange. Aparently I take after her. :razz:
    picking a dandelion will make you wet the bed.

kel from 'kenan and kel' died :o i fell for both of these.

i am gullible

i am gullible

Who likes orange soda?

Hehe, i never heard that one but I completly forgot about that show, loved it :D
    My favourite is the cyst in the Mc chicken sandwich one.
    I'm not sure it's technically a myth, but the amount of times i've heard 'I know someone who took a load of acid and thought they caught a troll, but it turned out to be a retarded kid/midget'. And everyone really thinks it was their mate who did it.

I remember that. My cousin said they even held a funeral for him that was broadcast on TV. She got it mixed up with something else.

Utter moron.

i am gullible

haha, there is another one! Put a bowl with warm water on your nightstand and have your hand in there when you fall asleep. Absolutely nothing happens, try it!
    The Disney/sex myths, like the priest in little mermaid has a boner and alladin tells little girls to take off their clothes or Rafaki saying something about bananas up somebodies ass.
    go_away wrote: »
    Bf downloads our movies ;)

I quite like the urban legends about corporate stuff like coca-cola + McDs. I think snopes has a good feature on both.

I watched on the history channel on a history of drugs thing that coke did in fact contain the cocoa leaves (well it was cooked into it or something so granted it was nothing like doing a line... like an extract or something) so I believe that it is kind of true the cocaine/coke thing.
    The Disney/sex myths, like the priest in little mermaid has a boner and alladin tells little girls to take off their clothes or Rafaki saying something about bananas up somebodies ass.

ah those are my favourite ones! i've spent many hours reading up on it and watching stuff on youtube, very interesting!
    I'm not sure it's technically a myth, but the amount of times i've heard 'I know someone who took a load of acid and thought they caught a troll, but it turned out to be a retarded kid/midget'. And everyone really thinks it was their mate who did it.

:lol::lol::lol: It's so true! I was told by an old friend at college that this happened to her boyfriend's mate....I'd never heard it before, and was convinced it was true. It was one of my party stories, I loved it.
    Then I went to Thailand and met a Scottish couple from Glasgow, who told me the same story...apparantly it happened to their mate's cousin. That's when I caught on...
    Razor blades in sweets on halloween.
    Most of the heat is lost out of the top of your head.
    Most rumours about teachers.
    Most rumours about the local non-English takeaway restaurant.
    Most rumours about the local non-English takeaway restaurant.

"My mate went to the toilet, walked past the kitchen and saw twenty small Indian children cutting up meat and stirring curry."
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    :lol::lol::lol: It's so true! I was told by an old friend at college that this happened to her boyfriend's mate....I'd never heard it before, and was convinced it was true. It was one of my party stories, I loved it.
    Then I went to Thailand and met a Scottish couple from Glasgow, who told me the same story...apparantly it happened to their mate's cousin. That's when I caught on...

lol heard this one a few times too! :D
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    "My mate went to the toilet, walked past the kitchen and saw twenty small Indian children cutting up meat and stirring curry."

My mate's dog went into the local Chinese and never came out.
    Several people have told me that their mate/brother/boyfriend/whoever was staying in a hostel or a cheap hotel, usually in Thailand or Vietnam or somewhere equally exotic, where the walls were flimsy and thin and they overheard the following exchange:

"Where's my cock?"
    "In my ass!"
    "Damn right it is!"

Classic lines no doubt, so perhaps possible that all these people heard it. But I'm highly sceptical.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :heart: this thread.

The Marilyn Manson is the geeky kid from The Wonder Years myth got me :blush:

Have just found it on snopes