Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Relations between America and Israel sink to new low

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/28/barack-obama-jewish-settlements-israel-palestine-relations

This is interesting.

My take? I think Obama's taking a more balanced view of the conflict; for example, he still condemned the anti-semetic - as opposed to just anti-settlement or anti-Israeli - culture that pervades a great deal of Middle Eastern discourse on this.

Israeli government intransigence on this won't last long. Conversely, taking on Israel directly on this very issue could improve their own security long term if it leads to Israeli withdrawal of settlement building, thus and a reduction in attacks on Israel. Such tangible results could be produced by helping redress the balance of power away from the Islamist parties that seek the complete destruction of Israel, rather than a two state solution.

This is a good thing I think.

Comments

• Options
    Good.

Maybe one day under this President, the US will even go as far as not vetoing a UN resolution that affects Israel. Who knows, we might even see Israel being treated like every other pariah State engaged in ethnic cleansing and war crimes does. That'd be refreshing change.
  • Options
    Yeah I get this - I'm no fan of the Hezbollah's ideology and only a cursory look around the Arab satellite networks (Al-Jazeera by and large being a notable exception as far as I am aware) to see horrendous anti-semitism that continues old stereotypes and myths from way before modern Israel.

Even if one decides (sensibly in my view) not to 'root' for a particular side, even a cursory look at the socioeconomic conditions in Gaza, the most crowded place in the world, where two thirds of the population live on less than $2 per day.

It is no surprise that extreme circumstances provide fertile ground for extreme politics.