Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mythology Readers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Not sure where to post this, but I was wondering if anyone out there was into mythology as a hobby? If so, what kind? I prefer Celtic, Norse and some Native American...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Greek. Need to go to the shops so has anyone seen my Medusa head coz i need a lift. :)
    Greek and English - Though I'd basically recommend the classic readers - The Golden Bough and The Hero with a Thousand Faces
    i used to read quite a lot of native american stuff, but i have to say some of their best stories are told only oraly and aren't ever written down...i spent 6 weeks with some native americans when i was younger...

but i have been studying welsh mythology for sometime and its good stuff, but very much christianised...

i'm very much into proper storytelling, when stories are passed down generations soley by word of mouth. i think its a very important tradition which is fast dying out...
    i used to read quite a lot of native american stuff, but i have to say some of their best stories are told only oraly and aren't ever written down...i spent 6 weeks with some native americans when i was younger...

but i have been studying welsh mythology for sometime and its good stuff, but very much christianised...

i'm very much into proper storytelling, when stories are passed down generations soley by word of mouth. i think its a very important tradition which is fast dying out...

yeah a lot of Slavic myth is passed down only orally as well.

Welsh, huh? Is that in any way similar to Celtic/Gaelic? I really like the figure of Scathach from Irish mythology.
    Does Star Wars count?
    Stenzmann wrote: »
    yeah a lot of Slavic myth is passed down only orally as well.

Welsh, huh? Is that in any way similar to Celtic/Gaelic? I really like the figure of Scathach from Irish mythology.
    some of it is similar to irish stuff they have a couple of interconnecting myths but asides that its pretty different...
    For those with an interests in myths, Michael Wood's Beowulf documentary is well worth a watch. It's similar to his Myths and Legends series on Arthur, Jason, etc but nicely ties into the poetry season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kpv23/Michael_Wood_on_Beowulf/
    Jim V, thanks for the link

some of it is similar to irish stuff they have a couple of interconnecting myths but asides that its pretty different...

Ah okay...have you heard of SCATHACH? I've been really into her story since I came across her in The Alchemyst. She's obviously different in the novel, but her basic legend is still intact.