Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Harry Potter and the HBP!!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im quite liking the look of Ginny
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Im quite liking the look of Ginny

My guy mates said the exact opposite, they were disappointed with Ginny, said they thought she'd be much hotter! They liked Luna though strangely enough.
  • Options
    She just looked like she was on crack half the time.

As for the bunny boiler after ron, hahahahahaha.
  • Options
    I dont like the actress who plays Ginny, dont think she's very good IMO. Love Luna tho :)
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I dont like the actress who plays Ginny, dont think she's very good IMO. Love Luna tho :)

I thought the same, I liked Luna and the one who was after Ron. I though Ginny was a little bit wooden.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I thought the same, I liked Luna and the one who was after Ron. I though Ginny was a little bit wooden.

I certainly would be if I was her.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I certainly would be if I was her.

What? If you were her you would be wooden? 'Coz that makes no sense.

Or if you were with her you would be wooden...which makes sense but is just a bit wrong. Is she even legal?!
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    What? If you were her you would be wooden? 'Coz that makes no sense.

Or if you were with her you would be wooden...which makes sense but is just a bit wrong. Is she even legal?!

hahaha i was gonna say the same thing :D
  • Options
    yeah i think it was , did you like that chapter, what did you think of it? i was checking out stuff and came across this harry potter article.. did you know it made like 4.5 billion all together.. thats crazy.Do you know what Random House is ... they mentioned a couple other books saying there's gonna be DVD samplers out and The Fairy Godmother Academy was in it too..
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6671416.html

4.5 Billion??? wow.. haha that would help the economy right? I think Random House is like a distribution company for the books . They did like harry potter's and Michael Scott’s The Alchemyst, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon, Philip Pullman’s The Golden Compass and Jan Bozarth’s Fairy Godmother Academy. The Chapter that I read that you told me about too kinda reminds me of like a Female Harry Potter.
  • Options
    She was 18 in February of this year.
  • Options
    Saw the film, was good.
    Not worth reading the book imo.
  • Options
    Stenzmann wrote: »
    4.5 Billion??? wow.. haha that would help the economy right? I think Random House is like a distribution company for the books . They did like harry potter's and Michael Scott’s The Alchemyst, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon, Philip Pullman’s The Golden Compass and Jan Bozarth’s Fairy Godmother Academy. The Chapter that I read that you told me about too kinda reminds me of like a Female Harry Potter.

ya it could fix the economy.. thank you! that makes sense then.. and I guess that's a great way to put The Fairy Godmother Academy.... a female version of Harry Potter.. :love:
  • Options
    This was the worst movie I have seen since Harry Potter 5.

Not being a fan of the first book I decided I would not read any more of them then watch the movies and see if they made sense, the answer is a quite resounding NO!

My thoughts of the 6th went like this;
    Who the hell is Ginny? - she had only had about 4 minutes of screen time in all the movies before this one, where she is now a love interest.
    Who the hell is that guy Hermoine keeps looking at? - unexplained
    Who the hell is the bunny boiler girl? - kinda unexplained, her name is mentioned and then... nothin.
    Why is the girl who plays Luna Lovegood the only decent kids perfomance?
    Where the hell is Voldemort? (thats never explained - book readers know but I sure as hell dont)

On a positive note all the adult actors are top notch!

In total there are about 3 minutes of actual magic in the film and I think this whole series past number 4 has now just become one big clusterfuck of characters and plot strands that fizzle out into nothing.

The thing about the HP films is my friends who are harry potter nuts say "oh this is just buildup for the next one" - well its been 4 hours of buildup now including number 5 where nothing happened so the deathly hallows had better be on par with Retrun of the King as an ending to a set of movies or im going to cover myself in jelly and run down the street screaming SNAPE SNAPE SERVERUS SNAPE until i get arrested and put in a looney bin.
  • Options
    I really don't get why you all hated it so much!

Maybe it's because I read the book ages ago so couldn't really remember it. Plus I don't mind them messing about it with it too much, as I think you should think about books and their film adaptations as separate pieces of work if you're going to enjoy them.

But I loved it. I thought it was really beautiful to look at, totally spell-binding. And it didn't feel rushed like some of the previous ones have done, they omitted enough that there was time for the story to progress at a decent pace. I thought all the actors were excellent (perhaps with the exception of Gambon). I really adored it.
  • Options
    How long ago did you watch the other films? I make a point with a series of films or with sequals, building up to the release of the new one, I watch the prior ones. I have noticed it tends to make me more appreciative of the new films if its really really fresh in my mind.
  • Options
    I hated it because it had about 5 minutes total screen time of magic happening, the three main characters looked like they could not be arsed playing their roles anymore and the things that made the first two movies so brilliant - the stuff happening the background - is not there anymore.

I think having different directors do different movies has been the ultimate downfall of the series since anything resembling a cohesive storyline went out the window in Goblet of Fire.

Since they went for a more character based set of movies it has gone totally mental because they are using characters that have basicly been ignored earlier on in the series - Ginny being an example of someone who was in about 10 minutes of screentime prior to her suddenly being a big deal love interest.

I do understand that if you have read the books the film makes perfect sense though and its nice to see things come to life but it makes almost no sense to me!
  • Options
    Oh right yeah, fair enough. I have read the books so am quite interested in the developing relationships, and wasn't so arsed about the lack of magic.

I thought the first two films were really crap though, so I guess it's just a matter of taste. The first two films were proper kids films so they bored me, whereas now it's a proper adult story that I can get involved in.

The main thing I guess is that I probably went in with very low expectations. I have read the books when they first came out, but not again since, and I'm not even sure I've seen the previous film, so I went just for something to do with my evening. Which is why it was a pleasant surprise to love it. But I suppose if I was a die-hard fan who'd been waiting a while for it, I might have been disappointed.
  • Options
    The thing is, the films and books are growing up with the audience that the first book was aimed at.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    I thought the first two films were really crap though, so I guess it's just a matter of taste. The first two films were proper kids films so they bored me, whereas now it's a proper adult story that I can get involved in.

The adult story is a good thing but to me it feels like the HP series tries to step on both sides of the line - catering for both kids and adults and it doesnt work so well.

What Harry Potter does is put about 25-30 characters into things but by no fault of their own the current directors have the problem of making us care enough about the characters to be upset about half of them dying in the last 2 movies.

Just to clear up I do get what they are doing with the movies, i just really dont like it and dont think it works which is a pity, thats just my opinion of course :)
  • Options
    I thought the movie was great. Yeah it didn't really do the book justice, but I don't think any movie can ever really capture the entire essence of a novel. I just didn't like how they skipped out on some of the most important aspects of the book...and wtf how they always use nonverbal spells? Cmon now, it's like they're just using their wands as swords.