Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

family tree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure whether this is in the right place... but anyway here it is!

I want to trace my family history - but not to the point where I go back generations, I just want to find family who are around now that I don't know about.

I'm pretty sure there is some our family is huge and spreads into a few other countries.

But I don't really know where to start - and I have zero spare cash so need to know the cheapest way to go about it!

Any advice from anyone who's done it already...??
Thanks
P x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, basicly first off start with a small local tree for example

Grandad - Gran Grandad - Gran
    | |
    |
    MUM

and so on, speak to the relatives you know, Ask your mum for details about her brothers/sisters or her uncles/aunts, contact your granparents, your uncles or cousins, everyone you know and start peicing it together on pen and paper, family trees are easy for local family going back is where it gets tricky,

all you need is a phone with lots of credit, pencil, paper (lots) and a rubber

First,

Call your mum ask her about their (uncles, parents, grandparents, cousins)
    then call grandparents, uncles, cousins etc) then call whoever details you get from them
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Call your mum ask her about their (uncles, parents, grandparents, cousins)
    then call grandparents, uncles, cousins etc) then call whoever details you get from them

:yes:

You could Genesreunited. If you do trace your family (my dad is doing this) you may find some grumpy relative who isn't interested.
    I thought Genesreunited costs? Its very easy to do a recent family tree and even if one doesn't help another person usally knows, for example you may get 3 or 4 mentions of an Uncle fred so even if one person doesn't help, others will :)
    Well the problem is, my dad doesn't know his dad - well he knows his name but thats about it! So I must have a whole new family at that side.

And then on my mums side, the roots lead back to Poland, and I don't speak Polish nor would I have a clue where to start!!

So frustrating!! I want to just turn up and be like hey - who's related to me haha
    Ok then, what you need to do is quite simple, requires time though,

You need to know your Dads fathers name, full name, and his mums name (if married it's better)

see your dads birth certificate, get his name, get his mums name, if married find out where they were married, county is fine,

Find a copy of the marriage with the registar where they were married, should have your grandads place of birth/home town, then you can get a copy of your grandads birthcertificate and trace they're parents down (your great grandparents) then through census/electoral roles you can locate your great grandparents offsprings (your greatuncles etc) and your grandparents offsprings) your dads brothers etc)
    Many of the UK census' are avaliable on line for free - which might be helpful to you. But i recon that there are probably some online forums for people doing the same thing so you could ask there - but if you dont' have any relatives to ask then its probably lots of trawling round the national records office and parish records to find what you need - but i suspect once you've tracked down one relative they will be able to fill in lots of the gaps