Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where Do I Get Vista OS Disk?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

Thanks to all who came up with loads of suggestions the other day. Turns out my harddrive decided to die yesterday and I've had to purchase a new one. I don't have the Vista Operating System disk though. The thing is, PC world were charging £170 for it - my brother was directed to a site for his HP presario computer and they sold the disk for £25.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5630. Where can get a Windows Vista (32 bit?) operating systems disk? If my bro can get one legally for £25 for his HP, surely something similiar is available for mine?

Also, as NO instructions came with this one and installed my bro's easily with instructions - my boot priority order is currently reading;

1: IDE 0: WDC WD1600BEVS-22VAT0 - (S1
2: IDE 2: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T2ON-
3: USB FDD:
4: Network Bo Broadcom MBA
5: USB HDD:
6: USB KEY:
7: USB CDROM:

Mines more complicated than his! Anything right in that order?

Thanks millions in advance. Sodding laptop :(

Comments

• Options
    Ahhh, these Acers used to come with recovery CDs but they stopped it a couple of years ago. What Acer tell their customers these days is to run their preinstalled program called eRecovery that makes up a set of recovery CDs for you. Of course, you need a set of blank CDs to start the ball rolling. If you raise a case with Acer tech (tel 0870 853 1000), they will RMA the laptop for you and you'll get a new hard disk with their OS built back in so that you don't have to reinstall it. Once you get it back, I strongly advise you to make up you recovery CD set.
  • Options
    just torrent it, its not like stealing software, you still have to use a legitimate licence key.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    just torrent it, its not like stealing software, you still have to use a legitimate licence key.
    This. Make sure it is untouched, retail OEM. I've spent many hours downloading OS' that turned out to be duds. Or claiming to be untouched, though they weren't. They already had cracks installed etc.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    This. Make sure it is untouched, retail OEM. I've spent many hours downloading OS' that turned out to be duds. Or claiming to be untouched, though they weren't. They already had cracks installed etc.
    On thepiratebay they have 'trusted' uploaders or something similar, these tend to be more reliable.
  • Options
    Yeah, the pink skull, or green. I've never used TPB for OS torrents in the last few years. I wouldn't use TPB for OS' though, too much effort. :p