Home Student Life & Education
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dropping out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm considering dropping out of my course, I'm doing ok but the time frame/stress is getting to me, with Work, Theo, Life and weddings It's getting to me, I have no fees so that is not a problem, and if im honest the degree is something I will never use,I like where I am in life, with work and home and I do not see this being something which will be extremely beneficial,

could use some advice here, OU are closed today but one thing I need to know is,

If I drop out today, can I start the same course again in a year or two or do OU "ban" or block you from retaking etc etc, I get it free under child/working tax credits, but I am not sure now, I enjoy it but it feels like a chore..

I think I have to drop out, the lil amount of stress it causes would be worth while not to have

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    can you change the course to something you enjoy more or will be more useful?
    I think if you can get it free, then youre a fool not to take that opportunity because you may not be on tax credits forever
    Oh, I love my course, I really do enjoy it, I just cant find any time to study the material at present, it was expected in my timetable to read 2x 300page books within 1month, bit hard when working fulltime etc,

with regards to not having tax credits, I don't see that happening anytime soon, where I am with work/pay is where I like, its ok pay, good work and I dont see it changing unless goverment cut tax credits completely (plus onthe island there isn't much in the way of better paid jobs)
    I have just dropped out of an OU course....due to work etc. Best thing to do is to contact them to find out.
    You may find that if you drop out of a course then when you go back it might not be funded.
    I've always tried to do things that I enjoy even if it means that there is more pressure on other areas of my life. I appreciate the difficulties you mentioned and they are all very valid, but like others have said these opportunities don't come round very often and you may not be able to do it again and regret it in the future.

If you really enjoy something you will make time to do it whether that is getting up 1 hour earlier, working through your lunch break, etc. just to get to be able to do it.
    stick at it
    Obviously I know it's different hellfire as you are working full time and have all this other stuff on your plate, but I've found my degree difficult and at times considered packing it in because there was just so much work to do, but it gets to a tipping point where you realise with all the effort you've put in you need to finish it, and somehow you managed to get everything done.

Good luck either way
    Well, I found out I can actually put it on hold for 1,2 or even 3 years so I am considering that,

Thanks for the support but I'm getting dog tired at present with everything,

for example a standard day for me is

05.00am wake up
    06.00am work
    04.00pm home
    05.00pm boy/dinner/shower
    07.00pm cadets (only 4times a week plus 1weekend every month (3days away)
    10.00pm home
    11.00pm sleep and start again

short staffed at work means 6day weeks are common and thats without wedding stuff, etc etc,

Thanks for the words of support, discussed it with laura and I think I'll put it on hold for now, even lolz has noticed how run down I am. this is the first couple of days off I have had for a while. apparently I can put it on hold with no problems, no loss of grades etc and continue the course later.
    I think if you can get it free, then youre a fool not to take that opportunity because you may not be on tax credits forever

I wouldnt of thought the tax credit status would make a difference to course fees. They will still be free no matter how long you wait, so you could be worth taking a few years out until you sort yourself out. A degree will just be an uphill struggle without motivation and focus. I wouldnt recomend completly quitting if you enjoy the studying, it will deffinately help you out somewhere along the line
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Well, I found out I can actually put it on hold for 1,2 or even 3 years so I am considering that,

Thanks for the support but I'm getting dog tired at present with everything,

for example a standard day for me is

05.00am wake up
    06.00am work
    04.00pm home
    05.00pm boy/dinner/shower
    10.00pm home
    11.00pm sleep and start again

short staffed at work means 6day weeks are common and thats without wedding stuff, etc etc,

Thanks for the words of support, discussed it with laura and I think I'll put it on hold for now, even lolz has noticed how run down I am. this is the first couple of days off I have had for a while. apparently I can put it on hold with no problems, no loss of grades etc and continue the course later.

I think with regards to this, it's a case of priorities. The thing with the big question mark next to it, IMO, is this:

4 times a week, for three hours?! Not taking the weekend a month you go away for three days, that's a hell of an investment. To me, it would have to be either this or the degree. Simple as that. Which is more important to you?
    g_angel wrote: »
    I think with regards to this, it's a case of priorities. The thing with the big question mark next to it, IMO, is this:

4 times a week, for three hours?! Not taking the weekend a month you go away for three days, that's a hell of an investment. To me, it would have to be either this or the degree. Simple as that. Which is more important to you?

The pay from it mate is more important (sorry it is 3times, tuesday/Thurs/Sunday

Spoke to the OU, withdrew but I can take it again with financial aid and resubmit my previous work, so I got the break I needed.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    The pay from it mate is more important (sorry it is 3times, tuesday/Thurs/Sunday

Spoke to the OU, withdrew but I can take it again with financial aid and resubmit my previous work, so I got the break I needed.

Ah, cool. Glad you got it sorted.
    Although not the ideal situation I think prioritising your home life with theo and the upcoming marriage is probably the best bet. But I hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those things you never pick up again because life gets in the way.

Best of luck with everything
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Although not the ideal situation I think prioritising your home life with theo and the upcoming marriage is probably the best bet. But I hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those things you never pick up again because life gets in the way.

Best of luck with everything

Thanks, I hope I do, however if for some reason I do not, I wouldn't think it is the end of the world, I won't achieve much out of it, I was doing it as a hobby more than a qualification, I never cared about the qualification or the education, I did it because I enjoyed it :)

anyway, heres hoping :)