Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

slow running computer...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
for some reason my computer has suddenly ground to an almost halt. i've run virus scans and theres nothing, i've done a defrag and that hasn't helped either, is there anything else i can try to get my computer back to normal?

i've not got tonnes of stuff on it either, the hard drive is at half capacity, i haven't got loads of applications running at the same time either...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmm only thing i can think of is spyware (different from visus's etc) other than that, im curious myself.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Start the task manager (ctrl+alt+del, pick "task manager") and go to the processes tab. Click on the "CPU time" column (I think that's what it's called) so the processes are ordered by CPU time, the bigger on top. And see what processes take up most time.
    system idle process???

not sure whats going on there.
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Backup all your data, wipe your HDD, re-install windows.
    i can't do that as i don't have windows disks, this computer came with everything loaded up already....and backing everything up would likely take several days
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    system idle process???

not sure whats going on there.
    And the ones under it? SIP to be first is normal.

If you weren't given discs, there must be a recovery partition somewhere that will restore the others to how they were originally.
    It's worth giving Mbam a shot. (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware).
    i've given it all a go but no joy...!

:(

so i'm not sure what to do now....
    Check to see how much memory is being recognised (task manager, performance tab, physical memory). If that's less than there used to be then some memory could have gone funny or worked loose.

Check in the windows event log to see if there are any error messages related to disks. If so your drive could be on its way out. (You could also do checkdisk, right click your drive, tools, check for errors.)
    I have a product that can help you.

Let's have you as my beta tester?
    i'll give it a go...
    Hello TT are you around.. Let me know when you are.

Cheers.
    How does it run when you start in safe mode? (Tap F8 constantly as the PC turns on, then choose safe mode and press enter).
    How does it run when you start in safe mode? (Tap F8 constantly as the PC turns on, then choose safe mode and press enter).

I fixed it.
    I fixed it.
    So what was wrong?
    So what was wrong?

Probably a multitude of things, I just put into action what I know best and it helped.

It was all taken from my ebook, she was lucky not to run into the problems covered in it, because I haven't made the videos for that part yet.
    get CCleaner. It looks through unused files (in the registry too) and cleans up. It's a good tool.

Get SpyBot too for Spyware.
    Dirms-s is a good defrag tool that arranges the files by usage not alphabetically (like microsoft defrager does).

Finally get Startup Optimizer and look what kind of shit is booting when you turn up your pc and deactivate everything that's not necessary (like Adobe, boots this all-the-time-check-for-updates-crap that eats a lot of your ressources).

Finally, don't get every tool that the Internet tells you to use. Many of them are fraudulent, but I know a few comp whizzes and read a lot about that, so the aforementioned tools are legit and great.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    get CCleaner. It looks through unused files (in the registry too) and cleans up. It's a good tool.

Get SpyBot too for Spyware.
    Dirms-s is a good defrag tool that arranges the files by usage not alphabetically (like microsoft defrager does).

Finally get Startup Optimizer and look what kind of shit is booting when you turn up your pc and deactivate everything that's not necessary (like Adobe, boots this all-the-time-check-for-updates-crap that eats a lot of your ressources).

Finally, don't get every tool that the Internet tells you to use. Many of them are fraudulent, but I know a few comp whizzes and read a lot about that, so the aforementioned tools are legit and great.

Spybot = NO

Startup optimizer - isn't that what msconfig is for?

CCleaner = Yes, but no way would I run the registry tool that comes with it.
    Probably a multitude of things, I just put into action what I know best and it helped.

It was all taken from my ebook, she was lucky not to run into the problems covered in it, because I haven't made the videos for that part yet.

what does that mean?
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    what does that mean?

It means that I helped her with her computer, and she was happy with the results.. and that I had taken the information, from my own ebook to action the help she received.
    It means that I helped her with her computer, and she was happy with the results.. and that I had taken the information, from my own ebook to action the help she received.

The thing I was pointing out, is that you haven't actually explicitly said what was done to fix it. Which means that anyone else who is suffering the same problem who comes across this thread won't be able to fix it. Unless of course they get your ebook. Which you seem to have mentioned in half the posts here, free advertising perchance?
    for some reason my computer has suddenly ground to an almost halt. i've run virus scans and theres nothing, i've done a defrag and that hasn't helped either, is there anything else i can try to get my computer back to normal?

i've not got tonnes of stuff on it either, the hard drive is at half capacity, i haven't got loads of applications running at the same time either...

Ultimately the best thing to do is format your computer and reinstall a fresh copy of windows - then add the basic software you need on a daily basis - apply tweaks, etc to it and then create an image of the entire hard drive.

Then add the stuff you don't need so often and the stuff likely to slow down your machine, when it gets really slow again in the future you can then go back to that nice fresh copy of windows.

Once you have a nice image you can usually have your PC reinstalled with windows like new in less then 10 minutes.
    hi

what anti virus software do you use?
    DG wrote: »
    Ultimately the best thing to do is format your computer and reinstall a fresh copy of windows - then add the basic software you need on a daily basis - apply tweaks, etc to it and then create an image of the entire hard drive.

Once you have a nice image you can usually have your PC reinstalled with windows like new in less then 10 minutes.

No need to ever wipe windows unless you have a severe infection, that blocks too many processes.

ShyBoy.. If I were to write it all, it probably wouldn't work for most people that's why my ebook comes with a support forum too, so that people can ensure they get it right every time.
    No need to ever wipe windows unless you have a severe infection, that blocks too many processes.

ShyBoy.. If I were to write it all, it probably wouldn't work for most people that's why my ebook comes with a support forum too, so that people can ensure they get it right every time.
    bollocks, your just trying to sell your book and being a selfish arogant cunt, assuming I am to bloody dumb to do whats in your little Ebook, screw yourself mate
    Hellfire wrote: »
    bollocks, your just trying to sell your book and being a selfish arogant cunt, assuming I am to bloody dumb to do whats in your little Ebook, screw yourself mate

Lmao, not everyone is as smart as you are. :-)
    Lmao, not everyone is as smart as you are. :-)
    yeah i know that ;)

but tbh your raving about your Ebook, give it a fucking rest, no one gives a shit,
    Hellfire wrote: »
    yeah i know that ;)

but tbh your raving about your Ebook, give it a fucking rest, no one gives a shit,

I just so happened to talk about, my bad :crazyeyes