Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Need somewhere to stay in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I moved in with my boyfriend in London a month ago and I need to move out because I am very unhappy living there and I don't want to be with him anymore.

Aside all other things, he snores every night, waking me up every night, and if I nudge him he screams literally like a baby at me which is not only infuriating, but also disturbing.

I'm at breaking point here.

I am unemployed but I am trying to claim JSA and trying desperately to find work in London.

I basically need somewhere to stay that charges nothing or next to nothing until I can get my own place, and a job in order to fund my new place.

Before anyone asks, I don't have any friends or family I could stay with, not permanently.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Realistically if you have no money and no job then your best bet might be to try to put up with the snoring.
    sleep on the sofa?
    Have you talked to him about it? Why not just wear earplugs?
    find another boyfriend and move in
    make him sleep on the sofa :p
    I find it kinda rediculous you'd move out of somewhere, when broke, poor and no where to go over a lil bit of snoring, no offence but thats not to bad tbh.
    I think people are overemphasising on the snoring aspect which I would guess hunnypot posted as an aggravating factor, I think the real bit is here:
    I moved in with my boyfriend in London a month ago and I need to move out because I am very unhappy living there and I don't want to be with him anymore.

There is no 'putting up with' that, and I'm not sure why SCC decided to say 'find another boyfriend and move in' unless there is some past history I don't know about. Either way it's not really an appropriate comment for someone coming to ask for advice and help, someone shouldn't have to rely on having to stay with a partner they don't want to be with just because the other option is homelessness.
    Hmm yes, an oversight on alot of peoples parts mine included? could you move back to whee you were before?
    Ok, from my pov the best thing to do is claim JSA (and see if there are any other credits you are eliable for) and then try and get a job- when you have a job offer... see if there is anyone you can stay with until you save up for a deposit on a room in a house share?
  • Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Hi Hunnypot,

It sounds like you've found yourself in a very difficult situation, and I just wanted to say if you want to talk in depth about your relationship problems and get advice about that aspect, you'll find lots of friendly ears on the Relationship boards.

And on the housing thing, there's loads of information and many links on this Site.org advice page. In any case, it sounds like staying on good terms with your ex(?) might be a good idea in case of emergency. What's the situation now; do you want to update us?

I hope things are looking up.
    Soph
    Why does it have to be in London?

You say that you don't have any friends or family members that you could stay with permanently, but then, you're not going to find somewhere to stay that costs nothing on a permanently basis either.
    Thanks for everyone's input, especially ShyBoy.

I wonder if I should have posted anonymously.

Anyway, Soph asked for an update so here goes.

At the mo I'm still living with him. It's not so bad because I'm pretending to myself that everything is okay and half-believing that once I'm working I'll be happy with him again.

I've got a couple of job interviews coming up and I'm going to try to sign on tomorrow but it's a bit difficult as he doesn't want me giving the jc our address and even if you tell them you're NFA they still ask you to write down where you are staying, which is unacceptable to him.

Can't really go into details but he's on income support and not claiming it on wholly fair terms and he thinks that by me giving them the address it'll open a can of worms for him.

I'm going to have a break next weekend as it's my mum's birthday and I'm going to stay with her and go to the seaside.

Right now I just feel very anxious, sad, lonely and depressed. It's hot and sunny and I'm indoors most of the time. In summers past I've usually been with friends at pub beer gardens, BBQs and festivals. I'm hoping next weekend I'll cheer up a bit.

Half of me feels like I don't want to live in London anymore and I should move back in with my mum but the other half wants me to be independent and see what this great City has to offer.
  • Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope your application for jobseeker's allowance is succeeding, that would be a weight off your mind. Then you can concentrate on enjoying London (isn't it amazing? London Is Free should provide you with some inspiration) and maybe getting back in touch with some of those friends you used to enjoy summer with...

Enjoy yourself at the seaside :)
    skakitty wrote: »
    make him sleep on the sofa :p

toooshayy!

(touché really but yno)
    Soph001 wrote: »
    Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope your application for jobseeker's allowance is succeeding, that would be a weight off your mind. Then you can concentrate on enjoying London (isn't it amazing? London Is Free should provide you with some inspiration) and maybe getting back in touch with some of those friends you used to enjoy summer with...

Enjoy yourself at the seaside :)

Aww thanks for that. I had my jsa interview and it seemed to go fairly smoothly, time will tell though. I have a job interview on Monday morning so I'm hoping I get that.

Thanks for the link, I will have a look. A few months ago I was quite motivated to go out and do things by myself, I did a PTLLS course, loads of voluntary work and joined a gym but a few bad things happened to me so I gave up.

Anyway I'm going to try and get some voluntary work now.

I'm hoping all this will lead to sorting my situation out and help me feel my normal self again.

Thanks again for your support Soph and everyone else.