Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Things to do in London

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
While Im going for the cheapest possible options, expense can be inferred.

Apart from the Imperial War Museam, and the Cabinet War Rooms (which I have allready done a recce on both), what other interesting touristy things could you all thing of to do in London.

Double bonus points if even a slight hint of military history/links.

Cheap is better, though something thats value for money would be good too.

(Dont mention Zoo, thats allready on the cards for another Idea)

We are talking up to about 16 people, possible less maybe around 10, aging from 18 to 26, and a couple of old fogeys (like 40/45)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not military related but what about a ghost tour/walk? A bit of fun and you could learn some interesting historical facts. But I love things like this and always go on then :blush:

Tower of London maybe? Although I'm not sure how expensive it is to get into there...there might be deals on lastminute.com or 2for1 deals if you search on google.

I've found this site which might be useful :)
    http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/london-eng-l-lon.htm
    Tower of London is very expensive. Museum of London interesting and has a great wall walk (although not very well signed and half the panels are missing, it's good for a laugh). Good for the old Roman military history, too, as it's right by Cripplegate fort.
    british museum, museum of brands, the V&A, science museum, Natural history museum, Tate Britain, tate modern, aquarium, buckingham palace (possibly wrong time of year, but check it out), national portrait gallery...

i'll add some more if i can think of any
    Im getting into the habit of using a draft email I have saved as a template and sending it to places asking if they would consider doing a group forces discount ;)
    Get the boat to greenwich - National Martime Museum, Old Royal Naval College (Painted Hall and Chapel) and the royal observatory are all there and they are free to get into - I am biased though.

Another boat museum option is the fire power muesum in Woolwich (all about guns and stuff) but i dont' know if its free and Woolwich isnt' half as nice as greenwich.
    Thanks for the advice guys, will start having a good look into these!
    Dont go to the aquarium, its rubbish, apart from the shark tank.
    leave
    HMS Belfast, National Army Museum.

Also if you fancy a bit of a walk visit the tomb of the unknown soldier in Westminster Abbey then wander up Whitehall, past the statues (Cambridge, Haig, Slim etc), the MoD, the Cenotaph, Admiralty House (where they laid Nelson's body) and up to the Trafalgar Square - fits with the Cabinet War rooms as well.
    Old Time Cockney Prostitute Walk.

Step back over a hundred years in time to relieve the sight, sounds and infections of old time cockney prostitutes. Relive the Hammeresque pea soup fog (now with actual coughing) where you could bump into anyone from Clay Pipe Alice to possible nobility. Gin for tuppence a pint, now with a case of rickets for free, and all the cries of 'Oh My God, it's Jack !!!' you could ever want.

Only £5 per person or free if you hang around late enough.
    You want to jump on the Metropolitan line and head straight to Watford - a throbbing headfuck of dirty outer London charm.

There's a duck pond. Plenty of public street urinals. The night life is...there. McDonalds and Subway are both within drunken staggering distance of the taxi rank (where you'll frequently get charged up the arse for a long round trip home, incurring expenses for the kebab you've scoffed over the back seat if you're not careful).

You know what they say. Anything above Watford is up norf. That's 'cause when you've spent the night there you've hit rock bottom.

...so why am I heading in to town on Saturday? I don't know.

Unfortunately the only thing draped with military history in Watford is somebody's trashed aunty on a fancy dress hen night.

Enjoy the experience!