Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Windows won't let me install anything

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

Ok so all of a sudden windows is telling me that 'the file is corrupt' or when I double click a file to install is for example Mozilla Firefox - double click it and (being vista) a little window comes up saying Windows had a problem and had to close.

I've just restored my laptop because of this problem which has occured in the last 2 days, and it's still not 'fixed' and I'm struggling to find a solution. What's going on!!

Comments

• Options
    Is it files you've downloaded? I had a bizarre error with an internal firewall on my motherboard where my ASUS motherboard was showing all downloaded files as corrupt.

Might be worth trying a google for the laptop make along with the problem to see if it's a similar issue?

Either that or double check you're listed as administrator with the permissions to install software?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Is it files you've downloaded? I had a bizarre error with an internal firewall on my motherboard where my ASUS motherboard was showing all downloaded files as corrupt.

Might be worth trying a google for the laptop make along with the problem to see if it's a similar issue?

Either that or double check you're listed as administrator with the permissions to install software?

It includes windows update, all downloads. They were 'corrupt' before I restored my system. Now it just says 'Firefox has stopped working' when I doubleclick the installation file. Have been googling the error but can seem to find a solution :( I am administrator. It's wierd how it's just happened - I've had the laptop nearly 3 years!
  • Options
    Do you have AV installed?

There's a virus which prevents anything from being installed. Try running Windows Update if there is anything to be downloaded, and if that fails, you have the virus.

Happened on a PC I built for my flatmate a few years ago - within minutes of putting it on the net (to download AntiVirus!!) it had contracted said virus, which prevented anything being installed.

[EDIT]
    Yep, sounds like that's what it is.
    I reinstalled all over again (as I'd only just done it), left it off any network until I'd installed antivirus, and then was good to go
  • Options
    Eddish wrote: »
    Do you have AV installed?

There's a virus which prevents anything from being installed. Try running Windows Update if there is anything to be downloaded, and if that fails, you have the virus.

Happened on a PC I built for my flatmate a few years ago - within minutes of putting it on the net (to download AntiVirus!!) it had contracted said virus, which prevented anything being installed.

[EDIT]
    Yep, sounds like that's what it is.
    I reinstalled all over again (as I'd only just done it), left it off any network until I'd installed antivirus, and then was good to go

I did have Avir installed at the time I started getting problems 2 days ago. Norton anti virus comes automatically when you restore, but can't update so is...3 years outdated I suppose. I'm a bit of a newb in terms of computers - how do I start shifting this virus?
  • Options
    I don't remember how to get rid of it - this is going back five years unfortunately!!
    At the time, the machine in question just had Windows XP on it, nothing else, so I reformatted it and started again.

I would suggest running a restore from a point in time before you had the problem, if you can. Don't connect it up to anything - if possible, get the latest AntiVirus definitions for your software from another PC on a CD, and load them onto the laptop.
    Then you can put it onto the net, and you should be fine.
  • Options
    Eddish wrote: »
    I don't remember how to get rid of it - this is going back five years unfortunately!!
    At the time, the machine in question just had Windows XP on it, nothing else, so I reformatted it and started again.

I would suggest running a restore from a point in time before you had the problem, if you can. Don't connect it up to anything - if possible, get the latest AntiVirus definitions for your software from another PC on a CD, and load them onto the laptop.
    Then you can put it onto the net, and you should be fine.

Hmm. Before I decided to do complete system restore, I restored to a previous restore point with no luck. Now I've done factory setting restore and still got it. I'll try to get the uptodate virus definitions downloaded. :( I'm getting a bit desperate as I can't do anything! Thank you for your help though!
  • Options
    If you have the Windows CD, you can back up all your files (either to an external hard disk or just to a second partition on your current hard disk) and then just do a fresh install of Windows.

Alternatively there is also a repair function on the Windows CD that will check all the Windows files are in the right places.
  • Options
    If you have the Windows CD, you can back up all your files (either to an external hard disk or just to a second partition on your current hard disk) and then just do a fresh install of Windows.

Alternatively there is also a repair function on the Windows CD that will check all the Windows files are in the right places.

My laptop didn't come with a windows CD. I've downloaded the most recent update virus file from norton and it detected one tracking cookie and that was it :( Am I going to need to buy a windows CD? I've backed up files to my external.
  • Options
    No you don't need to buy one. Do you have a Windows sticker on your laptop with a cd key on? It should say what version you have (for example; Microsoft Windows XP Home)

The install media is fairly easy to get hold off from the usual torrent sites, or if you have access to a friend who has an MSDN account you can get it from them.

If you ask Microsoft they will provide you with the media but they will charge you an arm and a leg for the priveledge of burning a cd for you, so I wouldn't bother.

Anyway, it should be a fairly straightforward process after that:
    1) Plug in some USB stick, copy your documents that you want saving
    2) Insert the Windows CD and restart the computer
    3) Go through the process and agree to wipe the partitions etc. (this will erase everything, so you will need to reinstall all your programs and drivers after install)
    4) Install . . .
    5) Install laptop drivers
    6) (optional) create a seperate recovery partition. I would recommend doing this, as if you ever need to refresh your PC again you can skip steps 2-5
    7) Install applications
    8) Ready to go

Of course, if you already have a recovery CD you got from your laptop manufacturer you can whip that in and it should do it for you.